Chrome download speed drops to 0B/s (stops)

Well, I don't really know, I can only guessing. Torrents are multiple small connections and small packets, browsing internet is also downloading small packets of data, downloading games on steam using the same p2p protocol like torrent, playing online games requires only small amount of data. BUT while you donwload big files, different mechanism is involwed - it's called TCP window scale and it begins in Vista. It improve download speed by dynamically increase the receive window size.

You can download tool called TCP Optimizer and try to disable TCP Window Auto-Tuning (or google how to do it by command line). Maybe (but this is only guessing) your router have problem with that. It may decrease download speed, especially between two computers connected to your router, but may shows you where problem is.

Also, if you try to change some kind of settings on your lan card before (like enabling Jumbo Frames), revert that changes.

As a workaround (if changes described above doesn't help) any decent download accelerator may help, because it allows to multi-thread downloads of single file and can drop and reconnect connections that are below some speed.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Well, I don't really know, I can only guessing. Torrents are multiple small connections and small packets, browsing internet is also downloading small packets of data, downloading games on steam using the same p2p protocol like torrent, playing online games requires only small amount of data. BUT while you donwload big files, different mechanism is involwed - it's called TCP window scale and it begins in Vista. It improve download speed by dynamically increase the receive window size.

You can download tool called TCP Optimizer and try to disable TCP Window Auto-Tuning (or google how to do it by command line). Maybe (but this is only guessing) your router have problem with that. It may decrease download speed, especially between two computers connected to your router, but may shows you where problem is.

Also, if you try to change some kind of settings on your lan card before (like enabling Jumbo Frames), revert that changes.

As a workaround (if changes described above doesn't help) any decent download accelerator may help, because it allows to multi-thread downloads of single file and can drop and reconnect connections that are below some speed.

The thing is.. the downloads work when I'm connected to the Wifi.. on the same computer.. I'm currently using my dongle... I don't think changing the TCP stuff will help.. but i will try both things cuz im clueless atm

CPU & COOLER - INTEL i9 12900K | NZXT KRAKEN X62

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

GPU - ASUS GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF

RAM - 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY 3200MHZ

PSU - PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

SSD #1 - CORSAIR SN850 1TB

SSD #2 - CORSAIR SN850X 4TB

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

CASE - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A D-RGB

MOUSE #1 - LOGITECH G502 X Wireless

KEYBOARD - AKKO 5108B PLUS

SPEAKERS - SVS PB-1000 + 2x ADAM A3X

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

• 3 weeks later...

Still strugling with this :( have to use the shitty wifi, and the router is on my table...

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

• 3 months later...

Hey,

So first things first,i have the exact same problem on a brand new PC.

I tried pretty much everything starting with reinstalling windows multiple times,disabling all the anti-virus and defender stuff from windows,trying 4 different browsers, changing different things in regedit and my lan settings and installing the newest lan driver for my motherboard.

Torrents download at full speed,apps from microsoft store do too and stuff like games from steam and battle.net work perfectly too.

Also i have no such problems with my laptop or my phone which  are connected to the same wifi router.

Now,what i noticed is that when i  plug the ethernet  cable in my laptop the downloads also work with no problem.SO my guess is that it has to do with the network adapter on my motherboard(Gigabyte A320M-S2H).

Did you manage to find a solution?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 5:41 PM, George2410 said:

Hey,

So first things first,i have the exact same problem on a brand new PC.

I tried pretty much everything starting with reinstalling windows multiple times,disabling all the anti-virus and defender stuff from windows,trying 4 different browsers, changing different things in regedit and my lan settings and installing the newest lan driver for my motherboard.

Torrents download at full speed,apps from microsoft store do too and stuff like games from steam and battle.net work perfectly too.

Also i have no such problems with my laptop or my phone which  are connected to the same wifi router.

Now,what i noticed is that when i  plug the ethernet  cable in my laptop the downloads also work with no problem.SO my guess is that it has to do with the network adapter on my motherboard(Gigabyte A320M-S2H).

Did you manage to find a solution?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I never fixed my problem. I am using WiFi instead which feels very stupid considering the router is on my table and I'm connected using wired connection..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB