Productivity/Gaming Laptop Recommendations (Leaning on Aero15x but need some advice)

I had this question in late 2017 but when I was ready to buy the previous Aero 15x they stopped producing them to release the new one. I am a photographer but I also do some light video work and gaming and I've been waiting for the Aero 15x 4k as it had looked quite appealing to me (aesthetically and spec wise). However, I'm looking at retailers and they seem to be currently back ordered everywhere I look, unless I suck at searching then someone please point me in the right direction. I planned to have the laptop by August 1st in time for a long business trip so now I'm in a search for possible alternatives.

Reasons why I like the Aero 15x is because it is strong enough for productivity as well as some gaming. Productivity comes first on my priorities so having the thin form factor and longer battery life is important to me. I'm coming from an ASUS G74S and have been lugging it around airports and I am getting really tired of large gaming laptops, it's definitely a no-no for me in this point of my life. I was also looking to get the 4K display for the color accuracy and my photo editing work over the 144hz 1080p display so I'm not sure if listing this would help with other choices. It would also be nice if it has both Thunderbolt 3/USB-C as well as the old USB Type A ports due to the amount of hard drives and other things I may have to plug in.

I appreciate any input and advice that anyone has to offer and thanks for reading this! 

Last I heard, from the notebook review forum, the first batch had arrived and shipped out to people already. So they are waiting for the second batch which is due at the end of july.

My suggestion is to email hidevolution to see when.

Just be aware that it has mediocre cooling which requires undervolt+LM to prevent any throttling

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

What kind of gaming do you do?

Plus most "Gaming laptops" Have HORRIBLE battery life.

so if Productivity comes first, You are looking at 6 Hours tops from gaming laptops, even less for most.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

15 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

Aero 15/15X has good battery life

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

7 hours ago, w.lu said:

snip

Get it here.

https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AERO-15X-V8-BK4K4P-Build

then get the free liquid metal option. only way to keep temps down. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

7 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Aero 15/15X has good battery life

Yep, I get 5 to 6 hours using VMs on and off on the balanced profile

6 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Get it here.

https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AERO-15X-V8-BK4K4P-Build

then get the free liquid metal option. only way to keep temps down. 

I got it from gentechpc. When I ordered it in end of April, it said it will come with the free bundle, mouse, mouse pad, backpack and the beat headphone. After emailing back and forth, they forward my mail to gigabyte to get the bundle and gigabyte said we will send the headphone but the other stuff will come from gentechpc. Email gentechpc again (June 4 and 20), and still havent gotten a response. So from my exp, I would advise against gentechpc. Another person from the notebook review forum has the same problem.

HIDevoluton also offered it if you called them up or PM the rep at the notebook review forum.

11 hours ago, TLCH723 said:

Last I heard, from the notebook review forum, the first batch had arrived and shipped out to people already. So they are waiting for the second batch which is due at the end of july.

My suggestion is to email hidevolution to see when.

You're correct, I wanted to wait for the first laptops to ship so that I could make sure it didn't have any deal breaking issues so I didn't pre-order. I didn't anticipate it to sell out so it definitely is my mistake. I'll take your advice and email hidevolution right now. Thank you. 

10 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Just be aware that it has mediocre cooling which requires undervolt+LM to prevent any throttling

I've heard of this as well, it's a bit disappointing to hear but I believe the only times I'll have issues is probably during rendering or longer gaming sessions. I guess if I were gaming at home I could always buy one if those laptop chillers and see if it helps. I'll look into LM if I do end up getting the laptop and have lots of issues with throttling. 

9 hours ago, K i a r a said:

What kind of gaming do you do?

so if Productivity comes first, You are looking at 6 Hours tops from gaming laptops, even less for most.

With most gaming laptops that is the case, trust me I KNOW because I came from a G74S that couldn't even last 2 hours. The Aero 15x boasts a long lasting battery which is why it's in my consideration. My gaming sessions will probably never be that long unplugged anyways. I play some PUBG, CS, DotA, Starcraft, etc but I'd like to be able to play newer games IF I wanted to...  

Thanks for your response, bringing up battery life with the term gaming laptop does sound silly, but in the past year or so, these 15 inch power houses with the later gen Intel CPUs seem to be making it better.

2 hours ago, TLCH723 said:

Yep, I get 5 to 6 hours using VMs on and off on the balanced profile

I got it from gentechpc. When I ordered it in end of April, it said it will come with the free bundle, mouse, mouse pad, backpack and the beat headphone. After emailing back and forth, they forward my mail to gigabyte to get the bundle and gigabyte said we will send the headphone but the other stuff will come from gentechpc. Email gentechpc again (June 4 and 20), and still havent gotten a response. So from my exp, I would advise against gentechpc. Another person from the notebook review forum has the same problem.

HIDevoluton also offered it if you called them up or PM the rep at the notebook review forum.

Thanks for the warning. I did mean to ask for any reputable retailers in my initial post but seem to have forgotten. Honestly, I could care less for the bundle stuff (not that they're not nice to have), if they can get me the laptop before my travel date I'd be happy. With that said, poor customer service is a big issue and I appreciate your response. 

Now that I've responded to everyone, what I haven't heard is if there are any other similar laptops that anyone can recommend to me in case it doesn't restock in time. 

Thank you everyone!

46 minutes ago, w.lu said:

but I believe the only times I'll have issues is probably during rendering or longer gaming sessions.

Already throttle in medium load like gaming

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Well beside the bundle I also emailed gentechpc about other stuff. It seems to me that is an one man show there, Ken, and that he replies the email really short. For some of the emails, if he made it more detail, I wouldn't have to follow up

16 hours ago, TLCH723 said:

Another person from the notebook review forum has the same problem.

Oh that's interesting. Care to take a stab and post it loudly on NBR and get some attention to see if Gentech will resolve it. In the past the guys have been solid, but I never really cared for the bundles. All i wanted was like LM LOL. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p