What's so great about mechanical keyboards?

Computernaut

I feel like everyone wants a mechanical keyboard, why? What even are "Cherry MX" switches, and why do colors make a difference?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why? When your job has to do with typing things all day, it's better to have a keyboard that feels great to type on all day

Cherry MX is a brand of mechanical switches. The colors are different kinds of switch, the videos above will have more information about that. 

The typing/gaming experience on them.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I have a K70 mechanical, and it is amazing. The keys feel much more crisp and responsive than the membrane keyboards I have. I really prefer typing on it more than I do my laptop keyboard. I have upgraded, and will never go back to membrane keyboards. Yes, they can be a little loud, but the responsiveness in feel is definitely worth it.

I tested out some at a local Best Buy that were on display, and found I liked the Cherry MX Reds the best. If you want to try, go to a store that has display models.

The typing response from mechanicals vs membrane is otherworldly, it's clicky and responsive on mechanical so you know exactly when you've entered a key, membranes have this force about them where you can't tell it's registered, at least in my experience. It's also well regarded that mechanical keyboards have a longer lifespan than membranes due to the mechanical switch nature of the keyboards.

A bonus is the click when you press a key is really nice to hear.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

48 minutes ago, MiNy said:

The typing response from mechanicals vs membrane is otherworldly, it's clicky and responsive on mechanical so you know exactly when you've entered a key, membranes have this force about them where you can't tell it's registered, at least in my experience. It's also well regarded that mechanical keyboards have a longer lifespan than membranes due to the mechanical switch nature of the keyboards.

A bonus is the click when you press a key is really nice to hear.

a thousand times yes to this right here. I type on a Corsair K68 and I came from a Logitech keyboard that was just standard membrane keyboard. Holy the satisfying click noise I hear with every key press is amazing and honestly have noticed a speed boost in my typing. 

I'd say nothing, except some mechanical keyboards can be as silent as membrane ones, depending on the type of switch.

The noisy ones are just a curse from hell.

It would seem that people prefer mechanical keyboards for gaming. I haven't played around (huhu) enough to tell. But for typing, especially long typing sessions, I wouldn't touch a mechanical keyboard with a ten-foot pole. They feel worse on the fingers, many are of the noisy type (see above), and they all slow me down (although I guess it would be possible to design different key caps to mitigate this. I haven't seen such thing yet, though).

My piece of advice: try the switches before you buy. No amount of research will help you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Das Keyboard 4 here --

I've always used cheap (cheapest) membrane keyboards and this year I finally bought a mechanical and it's a whole different thing, I can write faster, press multiple keys at the same time in DOTA or any game, even the response time feels faster, I mainly use it to write Word docs

Blue switches are a bit noisy but nothing a nice pair of earbuds and music can't handle.

also 10/10 because it doesn't has any LEDs and looks neat

had to import it so I ended up paying like 3x the regular price in the US but it was worth

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

19 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'd say nothing, except some mechanical keyboards can be as silent as membrane ones, depending on the type of switch.

It would seem that people prefer mechanical keyboards for gaming. I haven't played around (huhu) enough to tell. But for typing, especially long typing sessions, I wouldn't touch a mechanical keyboard with a ten-foot pole. They feel worse on the fingers, many are of the noisy type (see above), and they all slow me down (although I guess it would be possible to design different key caps to mitigate this. I haven't seen such thing yet, though).

Okay, I'm sorry for coming off a little strange but have you actually typed on one that fits your style of typing and you do realize that any professional typist or even someone who types all day will always recommend a mechanical over a membrane. So at this point, I would recommend you actually go try some out or do more research honestly before you go and say that you wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole as you so lightly put it. They are a cut above any membrane keyboard and give you a boost in typing speed and accuracy after some time with it. Also, the switches not only serve a nose purpose but also an actuation point as per how hard or light you have to strike the key for it to travel to register as an input.  

On 6/28/2018 at 5:50 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It would seem that people prefer mechanical keyboards for gaming. I haven't played around (huhu) enough to tell.

The Lord ones are hell to game with unless you have a super fancy and expensive mic setup, otherwise, everyone hears clickety click click the whole time. I'm forced to use PTT because it drives my brothers crazy.

I love my mechanical keyboard, it's a Redragon Kumara with Outemu Blue switches. I find that my typing is much more accurate with mechanical keyboard because you actually have to properly press down on a key before it clicks down. The clicky (Cherry MX Blue, Outemu Blue) keyswitches are amazing to type on but not very good if you're a night gamer. I think the linear and quiet (Cherry MX Red and Black) switches are horribly unpleasant to type with. They were probably just super run-down store keyboards, though...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

On 6/29/2018 at 6:56 PM, twistedapple89 said:

Okay, I'm sorry for coming off a little strange but have you actually typed on one that fits your style of typing

Yes. It wasn't mechanical.

and you do realize that any professional typist

I haven't met one. In fact, I thought they went extinct together with typewriters, but maybe there are still some out there.

or even someone who types all day will always recommend a mechanical over a membrane.

Not every of those: see for example the post by @SpaceGhostC2C.

So at this point, I would recommend you actually go try some out or do more research honestly before you go and say that you wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole as you so lightly put it. 

I don't consider "wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole" to be "light". In fact, I'd say I put it very strongly. 

You've been generous enough to kindly offer free advice, so I'll reciprocate and give you a suggestion myself: if you prefer to avoid coming off as a condescending, pedantic snob, try considering your opinions and tastes as such and equivalent to other people's opinions and tastes, rather than instantly assuming some form of superior knowledge or experience that somehow turns your subjective opinion into an objectively more accurate fact, endorsed by unnamed, un-cited "experts" (that are supposed to be experts on what my typing experience on different keyboards is as well). 

19 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes. It wasn't mechanical.

I haven't met one. In fact, I thought they went extinct together with typewriters, but maybe there are still some out there.

Not every of those: see for example the post by @SpaceGhostC2C.

I don't consider "wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole" to be "light". In fact, I'd say I put it very strongly. 

You've been generous enough to kindly offer free advice, so I'll reciprocate and give you a suggestion myself: if you prefer to avoid coming off as a condescending, pedantic snob, try considering your opinions and tastes as such and equivalent to other people's opinions and tastes, rather than instantly assuming some form of superior knowledge or experience that somehow turns your subjective opinion into an objectively more accurate fact, endorsed by unnamed, un-cited "experts" (that are supposed to be experts on what my typing experience on different keyboards is as well). 

Snob I am not, I only make suggestings that only helps improve the lives of others. if you chose to type on a far less superior keyboard then you do you, however, when you're replacing your keyboard almost every year or so then you'll think twice about mechanical. 

15 hours ago, twistedapple89 said:

Snob I am not, I only make suggestings that only helps improve the lives of others. if you chose to type on a far less superior keyboard then you do you, however, when you're replacing your keyboard almost every year or so then you'll think twice about mechanical. 

Uhmm, I've some cheap (under $10 cheap, very used keyboards on hand here that have been around for quite a few years. I've never had a problem with them, longevity-wise, nor with the heavily used HP and Dell membrane keyboards at work.

I use a mechanical keyboard at home because I like it. It's perfectly valid for people not to share the same opinion. This is subjective. Your jab about the lifespan of rubber-dome keyboards, however, is quite debatable.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Uhmm, I've some cheap (under $10 cheap, very used keyboards on hand here that have been around for quite a few years. I've never had a problem with them, longevity-wise, nor with the heavily used HP and Dell membrane keyboards at work.

I use a mechanical keyboard at home because I like it. It's perfectly valid for people not to share the same opinion. This is subjective. Your jab about the lifespan of rubber-dome keyboards, however, is quite debatable.

Debatable I agree, from the use of both I have not had good experiences from the membrane keyboards and have had to replace often. The keyboards that I was purchasing might have been bad batches but that's highly unlikely. I was purchasing baseline Logitech and some Dell keyboards. Never had good use out of them, the membrane started to ware very quickly and it had a spongy feel that just made it awkward to type on. So I would like to hear your thought on membrane please, maybe you've had better luck than I, please share though. 

6 minutes ago, twistedapple89 said:

Debatable I agree, from the use of both I have not had good experiences from the membrane keyboards and have had to replace often. The keyboards that I was purchasing might have been bad batches but that's highly unlikely. I was purchasing baseline Logitech and some Dell keyboards. Never had good use out of them, the membrane started to ware very quickly and it had a spongy feel that just made it awkward to type on. So I would like to hear your thought on membrane please, maybe you've had better luck than I, please share though. 

One particular keyboard I bought from Wal-Mart for $10-ish some 8 years ago has seen pretty heavy gaming usage. I still have it stored away, though I happened across a Logitech G710+ for $40 at Wal-Mart last year, so I snapped that up as it was a good price.

Some of the keyboards here at work are over the 10 year mark as well, as they came with some old Core 2 Duo machines we had, and were not changed out when the PCs were replaced a few years later. Some other keyboards are still attached to their original PCs using Sandy Bridge chips, and are still functioning perfectly.

Of all the keyboards I've used, laptop scizzor keys tend to give me the most trouble.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Fair point, do you know some of the brands that came with the work computers or were they generic OEM keyboards. Also, the laptop scissor keys can be most annoying at times, their travel seems odd to me. Like it's not really a linear travel or even a full travel, their lack of membrane or even proper springs can throw me off my game very quickly and I look like a dork trying to type on one. 

16 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Of all the keyboards I've used, laptop scizzor keys tend to give me the most trouble.

I actually like the feel of them for typing but the durability is horrendous.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

there is nothing close to a cherry mx black, both inters of non cherry equivalent and any sort of membrane.

blacks are harder to press reds.

If you switch do realize everything other than the best membrane keys will feel like mush and you will hate every second of it. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Going from any old rubber dome I could find to MX brown clones wasn't too impressive, the noise was there but they keys still felt a bit mushy. I even went back to domes for RGB lighting (I know). But going from rubber to MX reds on a quality keyboard with minimal flex, I can't imagine going back. The actuation of each key is so smooth compared to anything else. Even the best membrane boards can't match a decent mechanical board for the way it feels under your fingers IMO.