Remote desktop connection or get a powerful laptop?

Hi, I am looking for an laptop for college and I am wondering if I can get a remote desktop connection working with a Chromebook or should I get a powerful laptop for design work. The reason why I want to do this is I want to put all my money into my PC and that would end up being more powerful than a laptop and last longer.

Yer... dont use Remote desktop for anything like that. Uf it was painless it would be more commonly used.

ive worked with Both graphical designers, art designers, enegineers and technical designers. None of them would ever choose to use RDP over a powerfull laptop. There is just too Manu disadvantages.

9 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Yer... dont use Remote desktop for anything like that. Uf it was painless it would be more commonly used.

ive worked with Both graphical designers, art designers, enegineers and technical designers. None of them would ever choose to use RDP over a powerfull laptop. There is just too Manu disadvantages.

Thanks for responding, what kind of disadvantages does remote desktop have? I'm pretty sure I can get it to work.

15 minutes ago, Someperson22 said:

Thanks for responding, what kind of disadvantages does remote desktop have? I'm pretty sure I can get it to work.

For any sort of design work or anything where information is moving (scrolling a webpage even), RDP is not what you want to do. I use RDP to manage an array of test servers, and over a gigabit link (desktop to server), it's not very usable for much more than basic use. Any video playback or motion slows it down, and sometimes (especially over Wi-Fi) audio sounds like it's coming out of a telephone buried in sand, not to mention the delay. 

2 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

For any sort of design work or anything where information is moving (scrolling a webpage even), RDP is not what you want to do. I use RDP to manage an array of test servers, and over a gigabit link (desktop to server), it's not very usable for much more than basic use. Any video playback or motion slows it down, and sometimes (especially over Wi-Fi) audio sounds like it's coming out of a telephone buried in sand, not to mention the delay. 

Anything graphic related is more or less doomed. Then theres connectivity issues such as latency etc.

51 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Anything graphic related is more or less doomed. Then theres connectivity issues such as latency etc.

Also, if you're using RDP (not VNC or something), the graphics adapter is used in a different way, so some programs won't work at all. 

Oh I thought that would work, isn't GeForce Now pretty much remote desktop? So if game and audio streams well the programs I want to use should work? Maybe that's built differently but I did see a Windows desktop when launching a game.

26 minutes ago, Someperson22 said:

Oh I thought that would work, isn't GeForce Now pretty much remote desktop? So if game and audio streams well the programs I want to use should work? Maybe that's built differently but I did see a Windows desktop when launching a game.

As far as I recall you only have access ti your steam library on geforce now?

1 hour ago, NoobCase said:

As far as I recall you only have access ti your steam library on geforce now?

Yes but still it has to remote into a computer to have access to Steam.

4 hours ago, NoobCase said:

Yes - but how would you run anything not in your library?

That's the problem don't get to try anything else out, But all I can say is that it lets me install install unsupported games and they work fine.