Everything (seemingly) powers on but screen is black

Virtual01

Recently assembled a new Ryzen system but upon powering on... nothing happens. All the fans are spinning, components are heating up, but nothing appears on screen as if the monitor is not receiving any signal from the GPU. I did pop the GPU into another computer and it definitely works. If I recall, GPUs will still provide (crappy) video even without drivers right?

Not sure what the problem could be since I have no way to test the other components. The speaker is no help either as it does not beep at all when I power on the computer so I have basically nothing to go on. Admittedly the RAM and MOBO are pretty cheap and I wouldn't be completely shocked if they ended up being faulty, but I don't really want to play the RMA guessing game. I need some tips to help diagnose my problem before I send something in for RMA.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What display cable are you using and have you tested if the cable is faulty?

1 minute ago, Virtual01 said:

Recently assembled a new Ryzen system but upon powering on... nothing happens. All the fans are spinning, components are heating up, but nothing appears on screen as if the monitor is not receiving any signal from the GPU. I did pop the GPU into another computer and it definitely works. If I recall, GPUs will still provide (crappy) video even without drivers right?

Not sure what the problem could be since I have no way to test the other components. The speaker is no help either as it does not beep at all when I power on the computer so I have basically nothing to go on. Admittedly the RAM and MOBO are pretty cheap and I wouldn't be completely shocked if they ended up being faulty, but I don't really want to play the RMA guessing game. I need some tips to help diagnose my problem before I send something in for RMA.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So it isn't correctly POSTing, and I believe you are onto something about the ram. If you have multiple sticks of it try using only one and different slots. This has been the solution most of the time when my computers have acted like this.

6 minutes ago, BlameXeno said:

What display cable are you using and have you tested if the cable is faulty?

Cable works, I used it when I tested the GPU on another computer

6 minutes ago, Get Booda said:

So it isn't correctly POSTing, and I believe you are onto something about the ram. If you have multiple sticks of it try using only one and different slots. This has been the solution most of the time when my computers have acted like this.

Unfortunately I have already tried rotating the RAM. None of the combinations work. Either both sticks are dead, or something else is at fault.

Just now, Virtual01 said:

Unfortunately I have already tried rotating the RAM. None of the combinations work. Either both sticks are dead, or something else is at fault.

Could be a motherboard.

1 minute ago, Get Booda said:

Could be a motherboard.

That's my suspicion. Would the fans still spin if it was the motherboard though? Or could it be something isolated like dead RAM slots or some other unrelated circuit not working for some reason?

Could it be the pcie slot? That would allow the gpu to spin its fans, but without getting any video input.

I only say this because I also currently have this issue, except for me the gpu is dead as is the pcie slot.

5 minutes ago, Tyrm said:

Could it be the pcie slot? That would allow the gpu to spin its fans, but without getting any video input.

I only say this because I also currently have this issue, except for me the gpu is dead as is the pcie slot.

Good call, didn't think of that. I think I will try to RMA the mobo and see what happens. I think it is either the PCI-E slot or the RAM slots.

8 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

That's my suspicion. Would the fans still spin if it was the motherboard though? Or could it be something isolated like dead RAM slots or some other unrelated circuit not working for some reason?

Yeah, they totally would. At 100% speed usually.

1 hour ago, Get Booda said:

Yeah, they totally would. At 100% speed usually.

Hmm. The CPU fan seems to be going pretty fast, but the GPU fan I'm not so sure. It's only an RX 560 so the fan probably isn't that fast to begin with but I'm a little skeptical. Maybe it is running as some other default fan speed that is less than 100%?

20 hours ago, Virtual01 said:

Hmm. The CPU fan seems to be going pretty fast, but the GPU fan I'm not so sure. It's only an RX 560 so the fan probably isn't that fast to begin with but I'm a little skeptical. Maybe it is running as some other default fan speed that is less than 100%?

Gpus act differently because the fan is not controlled by the motherboard