What certification is good for entry-level IT jobs?

Carlos1010

Hi all,

I want to get an IT certification to be ready for an entry-level job, companies might have for high schoolers/people getting in the 1st year of college. I heard all about CCNA, CompTIA A+, Network+, CEH but I don't know which one to get so that I can be set for the interview.

Is there one in specific that is good to take, keep in mind that I have a good computing background.

Thanks in advanced.

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Certs are not useful if the job you are going into does not require or use them. Make sure that you find what your job specifies in what they need, and also note that certs only last a few years, you will have to re-certify every few years

6 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

Hi all,

I want to get an IT certification to be ready for an entry-level job, companies might have for high schoolers/people getting in the 1st year of college. I heard all about CCNA, CompTIA A+, Network+, CEH but I don't know which one to get so that I can be set for the interview.

Is there one in specific that is good to take, keep in mind that I have a good computing background.

Thanks in advanced.

Everyone has CCNA, CompTIA A+, Network+ and CEH.

Show the company you have a modern Microsoft cert and they'll take super notice, since it sets you apart from the generic crowd.  (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx and https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsa-certification.aspx)

And yes, as @Shimejii said, make sure the cert is relevant to the position you want and the position that's been advertised.

Edited by Tabs
Random green text fixed

May be worth having a read through comments on a previous thread similar to this.

Essentially, my advice is to work out what type of job you want to be doing.

If you want to be configuring routers and switches all day, follow the Cisco path.

If you want to work in security, find courses in that domain. 

Don't do a course because you think it will lead to a job. Find out what type of job you want, then do courses that work towards it. You may want to spend some time speaking to people working in different roles to understand what their average day is like.

Another tip, there are lots of people with good I.T skills. If you want to differentiate yourself, have business knowledge and know how to communicate to a variety of different stakeholders. 

Adding to what the others have said, I've been doing infrastructure IT support and server administration for 10 years now. If you wanted to get a leg up in this particular path just to get your foot in the door, the CompTIA A+ cert is a good very basic one. 

IMO though you'll learn more on a job in 3 months than from studying for a low level cert. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

Depends what you want to do.  'everyone has CCNA' isn't necessarily accurate.  Experience is the larger value but you can get a six figure gig with the ccna and some xp, which doesn't have the same ability doing something like a+.

Usually people focus on a particular specialization, most of it comes down to personal interest.  CCNA helps as background knowledge if you're doing server type of work but won't be as valuable in that role as an example.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C