CUDA vs OpenCL for Premiere Pro

I do some light video editing on my laptop (specs are in the signature) for some school projects and I was wondering which renderer will give me better performance. Thanks!

depends what gpu you have but usually on a laptop the cpu will outrun the gpu

Just now, emosun said:

depends what gpu you have but usually on a laptop the cpu will outrun the gpu

My GPU is a GTX 850M and the processor's an i5-4210H. AFAIK the GPU is the more powerful one between the two (in my case)

I dont think an 850m is going to show much improvement but run some tests and see what you get. typically you'd only want to gpu render when you have a pretty fast gpu.

Thanks for your replies! I will try both of the options out.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

850m is much faster than the cpu alone. You want cuda here.

i like how you say this so confidently without actually having the laptop , the project file ,or any results from his laptop or project to show.

and here i was saying " run some tests and see what you get ". but i like your , "do no tests and do what i say" method.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

i like how you say this so confidently without actually having the laptop , the project file ,or any results from his laptop or project to show.

and here i was saying " run some tests and see what you get ". but i like your , "do no tests and do what i say" method.

unless you have a very low end gpu(think gt 710) cuda will be faster.

cuda is faster than opencl for nvidia chips.

You can test for sure, but a 850m is going to be a big jump, I have tested simmilar configs, and you get abouta  2-3x improvement.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

unless you have a very low end gpu(think gt 710) cuda will be faster.

unless the cpu is faster also , which is why i've never seen a speed increase with cuda rendering over just letting the cpus do the work instead.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

unless the cpu is faster also , which is why i've never seen a speed increase with cuda rendering over just letting the cpus do the work instead.

the amount of cuda improvement depends on the projects. Only somethings can use cuda. If your just doing straight h264 encodes, the gpu will do nothing. 

But with a gpu like the 850m, cuda will always be faster or the same speed.

But with a gpu like the 850m, cuda will always be faster or the same speed.

well ill be sure to tell hollywood to start using 850m's over i9s then

Just now, emosun said:

well ill be sure to tell hollywood to start using 850m's over i9s then

You don't replace the cpu with a gpu, it works together. In premiere having the 850m will be faster with a cpu than the cpu alone. GPU's are very fast at some uses.

Neither, enable the Integrated Graphics for rendering in Premier. Adobe did what FinalCut Pro has been doing for years, enable QuickSync. Makes your graphics card obsolete for video editing tbh. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

26 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Neither, enable the Integrated Graphics for rendering in Premier. Adobe did what FinalCut Pro has been doing for years, enable QuickSync. Makes your graphics card obsolete for video editing tbh. 

You want both. Quicksync is only for h264 exporting. Cuda helps with lots of effects. Having both is the best for performance with h264 exports.

Quicksync is only for h264 exporting

The time when you are exporting something other than H.264 is extremely limited. And H.264 is just the encoder. 

If you want the best performance for video editing you shouldn't be using Premiere or a PC. Lol. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The time when you are exporting something other than H.264 is extremely limited. And H.264 is just the encoder. 

If you want the best performance for video editing you shouldn't be using Premiere or a PC. Lol. 

but you want quicksync and cuda/opencl. They both accelerate different parts of the encoding process.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but you want quicksync and cuda/opencl. They both accelerate different parts of the encoding process.

Ideally you want a better program for editing all together. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ideally you want a better program for editing all together. 

whats so bad about premiere?