Is Razer really that bad

Ok, so my new keyboard broke, and I am thinking of spoiling myself a little since I love the Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE v2 (long-ass name lmao)

Of course, I’ve looked at reviews and while the reviewers really like it, people on the comment sections say they are really bad keyboards, am I buying a good keyboard or should I look at keyboards like the G512, as well as like title says, is Razer really that bad 

They're really hit or miss now. Some people get some that last forever, others die 6 months later. 

In general it's better to avoid them and go for a continually good brand like logitech, steelseries, or corsair

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Razer is commonly being accused of cherry picking the products that they send to reviewers.

I do not own a Razer product, so I don’t have personal experience to add to the discussion. However, I do come across an abnormal/unusual amount of people complaining about their Razer products. Not only on the LTT forum but on several other forums/websites as well.

So is there cherry picking involved? Difficult to tell and - if true - even more difficult to prove.

i used Razer peripherals since the beginning of the brand years and years ago and they always performed awesome and lasted a long fucking time...kids hate them, because they don't know who started that ''high-end gaming peripherals'' frenzy they live today. Razer were pioneers, and they are still amazing today...they do sell some overpriced junk i guess now to make more money...but their good products are still good IMHO.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 minutes ago, Ausfernando said:

Ok, so my new keyboard broke, and I am thinking of spoiling myself a little since I love the Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE v2 (long-ass name lmao)

Of course, I’ve looked at reviews and while the reviewers really like it, people on the comment sections say they are really bad keyboards, am I buying a good keyboard or should I look at keyboards like the G512, as well as like title says, is Razer really that bad 

The plural of anecdote is not data, but I bought one, paid a fortune for it, and it broke in under a year. I wasn't even gaming on it, just standard daily typing use. Not happy with their products.

Take that for what it's worth.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

A company that fails to get a toaster ready for release since they showed it  2016? i would not trust them.

ps. razer switches are not horrible. Just try them at the local store.

Trying Razer (and Logitech) switches in stores is what made me think mechanical keyboards were shit for over 5 years before I tried something with good switches.

As for the keyboards, i really like the switches, though I have seen many complaining about products that die really soon. I wouldn't risk it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

A company that fails to get a toaster ready for release since they showed it  2016? i would not trust them.

ps. razer switches are not horrible. Just try them at the local store.

I actually like Razer switches more than Cherry, interested in GX Blue switches tho

25 minutes ago, Ausfernando said:

I am happy with my launch-day-ordered 2017 Kaby Lake Blade 14", but it was running hot out of the box, and needed a repaste job for the CPU and GPU. 

I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and initially also replaced the thermal pads with better ones from Fujipoly, which dropped load CPU temps from 90+ down to 70's and the fans don't even come on anymore unless I'm gaming. However, I did have to repaste again after about 1 year because it had dried up on the CPU. 

That being said, people are much more likely to complain about something than go out of their way to praise it so I would say Razer's QC is questionable at best, but they are probably not as bad as online people would make it seem.

As far as your keyboard, I wouldn't personally buy a Razer, but if you like the feel go ahead and give it a try. My favorite so far is probably a Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX blue switches, but most people prefer brown or red for gaming.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

I own a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic (the 1st one with blue LEDs only) and while I was disappointed at the build quality of the keycaps when I first got it, this keyboard has served me well for about 7 years now and has even survived (without any adverse effects) having a cup of coffee poured onto it. It's definitely a quality keyboard. 

That being said, if I was gonna buy a new mechanical keyboard now (or any new peripheral, really), I would go with Logitech, because you can't go wrong with Logitech. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I like Razer's take on the Blue switches more than Cherry's but that's about it. I wouldn't buy one of their keyboards (I got one included with a computer I bought), as there are much better options out there that are both better in terms of build quality, and more feature rich.

One thing I can't stress enough is try the different switches for yourself. You can do hours upon hours of research online, but it's a complete waste of time. The only way you'll know which ones are for you is trying them out with your digits.

30 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Trying Razer (and Logitech) switches in stores is what made me think mechanical keyboards were shit for over 5 years before I tried something with good switches.

Really? Logitech's mechanical switches haven't even been out for 5 years...and I'm pretty sure Razer's haven't either. ;)

Prior to that I'm pretty sure Razer used Cherry.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

avoid them their gamer marketing is only a ploy. The actual stuff they sell is no good plus the fact their customer service is nonexistent. went through a few kraken headsets in my day before i knew better.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Really? Logitech's mechanical switches haven't even been out for 5 years...and I'm pretty sure Razer's haven't either. ;)

Prior to that I'm pretty sure Razer used Cherry.

Romer-G may not have been, but Razer switches certainly have been. In the past they used their own switch design manufactured by Kailh and now manufactured by Greetech. Both were aweful, I don't think they ever used Cherry. Logitech does. I'm no fan of Cherry either however.

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Romer-G may not have been, but Razer switches certainly have been. In the past they used their own switch design manufactured by Kailh and now manufactured by Greetech. Both were aweful, I don't think they ever used Cherry. Logitech does. I'm no fan of Cherry either however.

Razer most certainly has used Cherry switches.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Razer has used Cherry switches in the past.

7 hours ago, Ausfernando said:

why the f would you buy a 120 dollar keyboard from razer when you can get a fantastic one that is better in every way for a little more than half the price from logitech or corsair? seriously a few years ago everyone had razer keyboards because they were the only ones for gaming, now theres literally no reason ever to waste your money on plastic garbage.

just overpriced as fuck

like noctua or samsung stuff

let the fanboys come.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

razer is not bad. its actually on the good side. the biggest problem is their QC. Their crap is a hit and miss. all the razer products that I owned did not last for more than 2 years. They are pretty clever at installing these "time bombs." I guess they learned a bit from reading "underwood type writer case studies" and "automotive industry business strategies." I hate these unscrupulous . F*%$s!

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

personally they used to be the head of the keyboard and mouse game. but now they are branching out to things that really are taking away from their QC and it shows with the reviews and products lately. Honestly go with corsair or even das keyboard, oh and also ducky