Vega 64 crossfire or not

Hi everyone. 

I'm tearing myself apart here.  One part of my brain screams to me that I should buy another Vega64 card and go for Crossfire.  The other side are saying calm down and wait, maybe AMD releases something new soon. 

Should I buy or should I wait?  Will the performance be better with two cards or would I get more out of one card by adding it to my water loop and overclock it a bit ?  The hard decisions in life...............   O.o   

and yeah............. wrong place for this.  Can someone move it to the correct place plz ? 

dont go crossfire most games wont support it.  what gpu are you using now?

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

I'd say wait and see what both the red and green parties will be offering later this year. Plus support for SLI/Crossfire is dwindling, so some games may not really gain much performance from Crossfire.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

SLI/Crossfire is only good for showing numbers in synthetic benchmarks these days, so unless you're into that I would strongly recommend you wait. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

13 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

dont go crossfire most games wont support it.  what gpu are you using now?

I'm using the ASUS Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB Strix Gaming now.  still air cooled 

14 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

What goal do you want to achieve with two Vega 64 cards in CrossFire?

Hopefully higher FPS on higher settings.  And Crossfire / SLI have always been something people have been talking about

Thanks,  think i'm gonna wait and see what's coming later this year from AMD  

3 minutes ago, InsufficientSleep said:

Hopefully higher FPS on higher settings.

Obviously... But what kind of frame rates are you aiming for? And more importantly: will the rest of your system be able to keep up?

Also: you are nothing with a setup that is capable of spewing out 240 fps when your monitor is only limited to displaying 60.

7 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Obviously... But what kind of frame rates are you aiming for? And more importantly: will the rest of your system be able to keep up?

Also: you are nothing with a setup that is capable of spewing out 240 fps when your monitor is only limited to displaying 60.

I have the Rog Crosshair VI extreme mobo. My ryzen 1800x is overclocked and stable at 4GHz. 64Gb Ram and I have this monitor Acer 27"  XF270HU FreeSync ,that runs over a display cable.   I don't have any target fps in mind. 

7 minutes ago, InsufficientSleep said:

I have the Rog Crosshair VI extreme mobo. My ryzen 1800x is overclocked and stable at 4GHz. 64Gb Ram and I have this monitor Acer 27"  XF270HU FreeSync ,that runs over a display cable.   I don't have any target fps in mind. 

In that case you could indeed consider CrossFire :)

However, as others have already mentioned, multiple graphics cards is less and less supported by game developers.

You basically hit a point of diminishing returns. Some games even perform worse when you add a second graphics card.

My opinion: it is more wise to use that money on another part of your system. Or simply save it for a future component upgrade.

7 minutes ago, InsufficientSleep said:

I'm gonna save it for later :)

Tech keeps evolving at a rapid pace. Who knows what new little piece of tech will be available in the very near future that you REALLY REALLY need  to have in your life :P