How much Backlight bleed is acceptable? (Alienware AW3418DW pictures)

I just got my new Alienware AW3418DW monitor but was quite unhappy to find this:

Would you say this back light bleed is bad enough to warrant a warranty replacement?

IMG_0185.thumb.jpg.644c158c24652641aef61422efed64a8.jpg

IMG_0186.thumb.jpg.a7be3c408f5c8a7efb70418d9a1ca21a.jpg

I only had the screen about 50% brightness in the pictures and lowering it didn't help either. My question to you is how much is to much back light bleed? This distracts me even when the screen isn't dark. It is especially annoying in the lower left. Changing viewing angles seemed to help a little bit but that isn't a fix because I need to be sitting directly in front of the monitor to use it. Anyway I will probably use Dell's Advance Exchange, fingers crossed that the next one I receive will be better.

Yup. Contact Dell and tell them you want it to be replaced under warranty.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yup. Contact Dell and tell them you want it to be replaced under warranty.

Yeah I will do that asap. I've never had any problems with backlight bleed before. This is my first IPS monitor so I don't know the severity of mine. How bad would you say it is? I'm guessing there would be a lot worse than me.

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Holy $h!t. That's some serious backlight bleed you've got there. You should definitely contact Alienware for that.

I know every panel is different and it's the panel lottery but it's just quite annoying that spending that much on a monitor and I get this.

2 minutes ago, Clarkles said:

Yeah I will do that asap. I've never had any problems with backlight bleed before. This is my first IPS monitor so I don't know the severity of mine. How bad would you say it is? I'm guessing there would be a lot worse than me.

Yours is actually quite bad! Obviously there are some worse cases out there, but they are more rare.

1 minute ago, Clarkles said:

I know every panel is different and it's the panel lottery but it's just quite annoying that spending that much on a monitor and I get this.

I understand your frustrations completely. 

But Alienware should not have let this unit leave the factory at all. Quality control has definitely failed with this one. :o

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I understand your frustrations completely. 

But Alienware should not have let this unit leave the factory at all. Quality control has definitely failed with this one. :o

This is one of the reasons I chose to get a dell monitor. They had an Advance Exchange - Next Business Day Returns when I bought it. So I will get another monitor next business day and have 30 days to return the one I have. You are completely right about quality control but hats off to Dell making sure I don't have to wait around for weeks sending them this one before they send me a new one just to find out it is worse. I will just pray that the next one I receive doesn't have these problems.

That monitor, is gone. Return to manufacturer and get a replacement.

hi.

For what's worth it always looks worse on photos that it actually is then again it does look somewhat excessive, that's main issue with curved IPS panels they will often show such bleeding which can ruin dark scenes in games and movies, problem is they still ship it to consumers either ways since only a few will complain.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Clarkles said:

This is one of the reasons I chose to get a dell monitor. They had an Advance Exchange - Next Business Day Returns when I bought it. So I will get another monitor next business day and have 30 days to return the one I have. You are completely right about quality control but hats off to Dell making sure I don't have to wait around for weeks sending them this one before they send me a new one just to find out it is worse. I will just pray that the next one I receive doesn't have these problems.

Dell is generally considered as a respectable monitor manufacturer. So no idea what went wrong with this unit. I hope you'll resolve this issue soon though. Since it is indeed  absolutely not fun at all.

How much is acceptable? Well for me the answere is ' None' ..any amount , no matter how small, and i would not accept it.

ofc, its down to personal opinion and standards.

Theres multiple reasons I stick with my 42" Plasma, i would rather deal with the low PPI of a 42" 1080p screen, than all the multitude of issues LCD have, which include backlight bleed. I keep seeing peoples posts on BLB and IPS glow and other image issues from cheapo monitors all the up to £1200 top of the line Monitors. At that price, such imperfections and image quality issues are unacceptable.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |