Everything seemingly fine but no post

Virtual01

Building a budget PC for my wife. Upon completion of the build I turned it on and... nothing. The machine will not post. I am not sure what is wrong because the speaker is not making any beeps, and everything appears to be working. All fans are spinning, lights are on, keyboard is detected, etc etc. What could the culprit be? Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being able to test each individual part because my PC is from the DDR3 era so basically nothing is compatible. The only things I could conceivably test are the GPU and power supply, which I do not think are the problem.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm at a total loss. Could the motherboard be the problem even though it appears everything is getting power? Maybe the RAM is bad?

It has a Ryzen 1300x with an RX 560 gpu and 8gb of RAM. 450W PSU, 128GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD.

Any tips are appreciated.

EDIT: I Forgot to add that things are getting warm which leads me to believe that power is being delivered and no part is cold and dead.

Does it show anything on screen at all? If so what? Try checking to make sure every data cables are connected and power cables for all hard drives. Also make sure the video output you are using is coming out of the GPU.

4 minutes ago, iKnoGames said:

Does it show anything on screen at all? If so what? Try checking to make sure every data cables are connected and power cables for all hard drives. Also make sure the video output you are using is coming out of the GPU.

The computer should boot even with no drive, right? I unplugged it to eliminate as many variables as I could.

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

The computer should boot even with no drive, right? I unplugged it to eliminate as many variables as I could.

It would boot, yes, and would also give you a message. If nothing is displaying at all I would suggest looking at the connections between the monitor and PC. Work your way from the easier fixes first and make sure they aren't the problem before reseating CPUs and checking for RAM compatibility and the harder stuff.

4 minutes ago, iKnoGames said:

It would boot, yes, and would also give you a message. If nothing is displaying at all I would suggest looking at the connections between the monitor and PC. Work your way from the easier fixes first and make sure they aren't the problem before reseating CPUs and checking for RAM compatibility and the harder stuff.

I can swap the GPU into my other PC but I don't think that's the problem. I have a suspicion that the CPU slot is defective. It seems that after I take the CPU out and re-clamp it down I get further in the boot process. The computer will actually produce beeps sometimes. I think the tension arm is possibly too weak, it takes almost no effort to close it, but I really have no experience with AMD boards. Is it supposed to be that easy?

3 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

I can swap the GPU into my other PC but I don't think that's the problem. I have a suspicion that the CPU slot is defective. It seems that after I take the CPU out and re-clamp it down I get further in the boot process. The computer will actually produce beeps sometimes. I think the tension arm is possibly too weak, it takes almost no effort to close it, but I really have no experience with AMD boards. Is it supposed to be that easy?

No the tension should be virtuall the same as intel's.

1 minute ago, iKnoGames said:

No the tension should be virtuall the same as intel's.

That's gotta be it then. The arm basically falls into place it's so flimsy. I'll have to RMA the board and get a new one. I think the CPU is making some sort of connection though because it does warm up, but I guess it's not enough.

It's hard to determine how strong you are or how much pressure you are exerting on the arm, but I recommend watching AMD build videos and see if how other people are pushing down on it looks about the same as how hard you are pushing down on it before you go through RMAing.

It seems like its pretty easy for him but when I built my intel system that arm was very stiff and definitely left an impression in my finger from pressing it down. The arm on my AMD mobo offers almost no resistance at all, its like night and day.