Should i buy 4k or Ultrawide monitor for gaming?

Question 1: Should i buy 4k or Ultrawide monitor for ultimate gaming and watch movies?

Note: ( I mainly watch 1080p Bluray HD movies.)

Question 2: If i buy 4k monitor if my gpu in future can't handle it, if i downscale the resolution 4k to 1080p and 1440p does it looks bad and noticeable?

Question 3: And if i buy ultrawide monitor can i watch movies with full screen or there is black ber left side and right side and looks bad?

I would buy PG27UQ 144Hz ,HDR

(Ips panel) 

Or

PG35VQ (VA panel) 200hz refresh rate, HDR.

Looking for advice which one should i get? Please scroll up and read what i said.

Is there are any news about Oled ips gaming monitor future or should i wait?5b099141df067_images(9).jpeg.4f37aa2793ba8ee0d89109516cd61301.jpeg5b0991bb4f473_images(10).jpeg.ad94f62f18d6e23d826d1c4ffce58187.jpeg

Ultrawide is significantly better for gaming, 4k is still dumb as it'll give you the same virtual space as 2560x1440p but with super sampling.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

For scaling concerns, I have a link in my signature where I explain the basic concepts.

Personally, I believe ultrawides are a fad and a waste of money; you can pretty much always buy a higher resolution 16:9 screen for cheaper. That doesn't account for size, but I find that only really matters in racing games, and adding a couple of cheaper monitors on the side gives you the same experience or better.

OLED and IPS are mutually exclusive technologies so no, there will never be oled ips monitors.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ultrawide is significantly better for gaming, 4k is still dumb as it'll give you the same virtual space as 2560x1440p but with super sampling.

But that curve fell uncomfortable? And i watch 1080p bluray movies. Can i watch movies with full screen on 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor or it will leave some side ber?

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

For scaling concerns, I have a link in my signature where I explain the basic concepts.

Personally, I believe ultrawides are a fad and a waste of money; you can pretty much always buy a higher resolution 16:9 screen for cheaper. That doesn't account for size, but I find that only really matters in racing games, and adding a couple of cheaper monitors on the side gives you the same experience or better.

OLED and IPS are mutually exclusive technologies so no, there will never be oled ips monitors.

But that curve fell uncomfortable? And i watch 1080p bluray movies. Can i watch movies with full screen on 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor or it will leave some side ber?

1 minute ago, Sabir said:

It depends on how the movie is encoded, if it's encoded with bars at the top and bottom or has some 16:9 scenes (some movies do in their blu ray release) then you'll have black bars all around the movie. If it isn't you'll get crappy scaling but at least it will be full screen.

The curve doesn't make much of a difference if you're sitting right in front of it, obviously the image will be distorted if you're looking at it from the side.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

It depends on how the movie is encoded, if it's encoded with bars at the top and bottom or has some 16:9 scenes (some movies do in their blu ray release) then you'll have black bars all around the movie. If it isn't you'll get crappy scaling but at least it will be full screen.

The curve doesn't make much of a difference if you're sitting right in front of it, obviously the image will be distorted if you're looking at it from the side.

Which one should i get?

1 minute ago, Sabir said:

Which one should i get?

I would buy the 4k one every time, but that's just my opinion.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 minutes ago, Sabir said:

Question 1: Should i buy 4k or Ultrawide monitor for ultimate gaming and watch movies?

Question 2: If i buy 4k monitor if my gpu in future can't handle it, if i downscale the resolution 4k to 1080p and 1440p does it looks bad and noticeable?

Question 3: And if i buy ultrawide monitor can i watch movies with full screen or there is black ber left side and right side and looks bad?

(Ips panel) 

Or

Looking for advice which one should i get? Please scroll up and read what i said.

Is there are any news about Oled ips gaming monitor future or should i wait?5b099141df067_images(9).jpeg.4f37aa2793ba8ee0d89109516cd61301.jpeg5b0991bb4f473_images(10).jpeg.ad94f62f18d6e23d826d1c4ffce58187.jpeg

@Dackzy @wkdpaul @Max_Settings

@Ryan_Vickers @Jtalk4456 Need some help guys. Looking for you guys advice.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I would buy the 4k one every time, but that's just my opinion.

1080p bluray can be watch full screen? And if i use ps4 pro does it support 4k hdr from Pg27uq? And if future my house can't handle games if i downscale the resolution 4k to 1440p or 1080p does it looks bad?

11 minutes ago, Sabir said:

Depends the aspect ratio the movie is at, many come on the 21:9 ratio and will have a better more immersive experience without black bars, the issue is mostly on YouTube and other stream media that is usually on 16:9 then you have black bars in the sides, however on YouTube and other places you can use browser extensions to fill the whole screen at the cost of a lil distortion.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

My vote also goes to the 4k monitor. Graphics cards releasing in the next few generations should hopefully be enough to power the 4k. And if not, you can downscale the resolution to 1440p or 1080p anyways.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

My vote also goes to the 4k monitor. Graphics cards releasing in the next few generations should hopefully be enough to power the 4k. And if not, you can downscale the resolution to 1440p or 1080p anyways.

Doesn't it looks bad if i down scale the resolution? And if i use PS4 pro can i still have HDR on 4k monitor?

I did not look at the specs. If your PS4 pro supports HDR and the monitor supports HDR then yes. Downscaling does not look bad at all, I have a pretty generic 4k monitor and a 980ti powering it, some games that drop below 45ish FPS I simply change the screen resolution to 1080p as well as the game resolution to 1080p and it's fine. It doesn't look any worse than a normal 1080p monitor, the only benefit is the added crisp details of viewing videos in 4k and playing games in 4k where fps isn't a big deal.

But as stated previously, if you have been planning on upgrading your graphics card in the next few years, I'm sure they will be much better than my 980ti and 4k 60fps on ultra won't be as difficult to achieve.

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

I did not look at the specs. If your PS4 pro supports HDR and the monitor supports HDR then yes. Downscaling does not look bad at all, I have a pretty generic 4k monitor and a 980ti powering it, some games that drop below 45ish FPS I simply change the screen resolution to 1080p as well as the game resolution to 1080p and it's fine. It doesn't look any worse than a normal 1080p monitor, the only benefit is the added crisp details of viewing videos in 4k and playing games in 4k where fps isn't a big deal.

But as stated previously, if you have been planning on upgrading your graphics card in the next few years, I'm sure they will be much better than my 980ti and 4k 60fps on ultra won't be as difficult to achieve.

I think i should go for 4k :) Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

But what you think about PG35vq? 200hz refresh rate , HDR , Quantum dot technology , curve ultrawide.

2 hours ago, Sabir said:

1080p bluray can be watch full screen?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Sabir said:

And if i use ps4 pro does it support 4k hdr from Pg27uq?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Sabir said:

And if future my house can't handle games if i downscale the resolution 4k to 1440p or 1080p does it looks bad?

It would look worse than native in the case of 1440 and a little better than native on 1080p or 720p. With the 21:9 screen it would worse than native at every resolution except 1720x720.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

52 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes.

Yes.

It would look worse than native in the case of 1440 and a little better than native on 1080p or 720p. With the 21:9 screen it would worse than native at every resolution except 1720x720.

Thanks for the good info bro ? I found what i need.

8 hours ago, Sabir said:

I've never used an ultra wide personally, and I think I would go for the 4K but its up to you.  The ultrawide would fit any ~2.39:1 movies (common when they're not 16:9) better of course, and it's fewer pixels so it would be easier on your GPU for gaming.

1080p is exactly 1/4 of 4K so in theory it should look exactly the same as a 1080p monitor of that size, but unfortunately it will not.  You still get interpolation (slight blurring) so if that bothers you, I would consider that before making your decision.  1440p of course will have to interpolate since it's not a perfect ratio.  It would look something like 720p does on 1080p, but sharper because there's more pixels total.

If the movie is 16:9 then of course you will get bars on the side but if it's a wider aspect like 2.1:1 or even 2.39:1, then it should fit decently well, particularly in the latter case

(Ips panel) 

Or

Going based on the high speed of these, I take it gaming is a high priority for you.  I can tell you now, do not expect to play 4K at those rates in the latest games, and especially not on high settings, even if you have beastly hardware.  It's just too much to drive.  In fact even with 2x 1080 Ti in SLI, some older games are out of reach:

Also bare in mind that no interface yet exists that can actually do 4K @ 144Hz*, even at normal bit depth (8 bit), never mind HDR (10 bit), so you'll not be able to use all of the features at once.  It'll be beautiful, or fast, not both.

*by 4K I mean 3840 x 2160, and HDMI 2.1 can do it but good luck finding a card and monitor that supports it

Is there are any news about Oled ips gaming monitor future or should i wait?

OLED and IPS are different tech, you'll never see them both on the same display.  I've not heard anything about OLED on the desktop and I suspect we won't for many years yet.  Until the burn in issue is solved, it's basically not an option unless you want to replace your monitor every year.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

@Sabir Thanks for the thought including me in your list, but i know little about displays. If you want my opinion that has no knowledge behind it whatsoever, I'm more concerned with the 4k, but I personally use a 4k 40" tv as my computer monitor, so my opinion is probably wrong, or at least right but for the wrong reasons

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

13 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

@Sabir Thanks for the thought including me in your list, but i know little about displays. If you want my opinion that has no knowledge behind it whatsoever, I'm more concerned with the 4k, but I personally use a 4k 40" tv as my computer monitor, so my opinion is probably wrong, or at least right but for the wrong reasons

Speaking of people to tag (or not), @Glenwing knows about monitors so maybe he can give some tips

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've never used an ultra wide personally, and I think I would go for the 4K but its up to you.  The ultrawide would fit any ~2.39:1 movies (common when they're not 16:9) better of course, and it's fewer pixels so it would be easier on your GPU for gaming.

1080p is exactly 1/4 of 4K so in theory it should look exactly the same as a 1080p monitor of that size, but unfortunately it will not.  You still get interpolation (slight blurring) so if that bothers you, I would consider that before making your decision.  1440p of course will have to interpolate since it's not a perfect ratio.  It would look something like 720p does on 1080p, but sharper because there's more pixels total.

If the movie is 16:9 then of course you will get bars on the side but if it's a wider aspect like 2.1:1 or even 2.39:1, then it should fit decently well, particularly in the latter case

Going based on the high speed of these, I take it gaming is a high priority for you.  I can tell you now, do not expect to play 4K at those rates in the latest games, and especially not on high settings, even if you have beastly hardware.  It's just too much to drive.  In fact even with 2x 1080 Ti in SLI, some older games are out of reach:

Also bare in mind that no interface yet exists that can actually do 4K @ 144Hz*, even at normal bit depth (8 bit), never mind HDR (10 bit), so you'll not be able to use all of the features at once.  It'll be beautiful, or fast, not both.

*by 4K I mean 3840 x 2160, and HDMI 2.1 can do it but good luck finding a card and monitor that supports it

OLED and IPS are different tech, you'll never see them both on the same display.  I've not heard anything about OLED on the desktop and I suspect we won't for many years yet.  Until the burn in issue is solved, it's basically not an option unless you want to replace your monitor every year.

What is your opinion ? Which one should i get for ultimate gaming. I am confused now lol. But ultrawide i can have more views than 4k right in gaming? Since it's 21:9 ratio? Does that curve feel uncomfortable?

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Speaking of people to tag (or not), @Glenwing knows about monitors so maybe he can give some tips

@Glenwing What's your opinion brother? Can you please read what i posted ? Thank you :)

14 hours ago, Sabir said:

What is your opinion ? Which one should i get for ultimate gaming. I am confused now lol. But ultrawide i can have more views than 4k right in gaming? Since it's 21:9 ratio? Does that curve feel uncomfortable?

Personally I think I'd prefer 4K but in your situation I think an ultrawide would make more sense.  It will fit movies better, it will have a reduced resolution which will allow you to have a better chance hitting those high framerates, and it should allow you to actually drive it at full res and full speed using existing interface(s).  I don't know what the curve feels like since I've never used one but I think it's a bit of a gimmick and I would get a flat one if you can... it will probably be cheaper.

I use this monitor and love it, it kinda many boxes.

32 inch, 16:9, 144hz, 1440p, curved, low input lag, fast response rate

https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG32VQ/

Just throwing it in the mix as i think it's a solid all rounder.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF