SLI in 2018

2 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

I'm saying the majority of people either don't give a shit about this in the first place, or when they learn one card isn't enough, will learn to temper their expectations rather than spend another $1000 on a GPU so they can bump the graphics settings a bit higher in a couple of games.

Do you really think that someones quality of life improves in any meaningful way because they decided to SLI two Titan Vs rather than just stick with one 1080Ti and turn the graphics settings down? The answer is of course, broadly speaking, no, but anyone who is in the financial position to do something like that isn't looking at things from a price to performance perspective. There are many, many ways to waste money in life on things that make no logical sense but some people like them anyway, SLI is a perfect example of that. OPs question is "is it even worth the effort?", if he has to ask that, of course the answer is no. It's like trying to talk someone into buying a classic car or a $5000 watch, if they haven't already justified it to themselves, they more than likely don't need it.

None of this really matters of course as OP has already made the purchase.

I understand that you are (very strongly) stating your opinion but I'm pretty sure you don't know 'the majority of people'.

I do my best to simply answer with facts, rather than giving my own passionate opinions because I want to help people learn to make their own educated decisions. 

Obviously in my case, yes it does make my 'quality of life' improve to have a more enjoyable gaming experience - which by definition is not a 'waste of money'. If you enjoy doing/having something, that is literally not a waste of money - to you. It doesn't matter if someone else would think it a waste because it's your life - do what makes sense for you, not what some internet guy tells you is 'worth it'.

Again this is just diverting into opinions, and I don't think that there is a 'right' or 'wrong' here, which is why I try to answer this question factually - yes SLI is still very much a thing in the majority of modern PC games (IE it will increase framerate), but as I continue to state every day or so when someone else asks the same question that 50000 other people have already asked, only YOU can decide if the expense and trouble of setting it up is 'worth it' to you.

I can't tell you what is 'worth it' any more than you can tell me. As an example, surely many of the forum users here would say that me buying a 4tb Samsung 850 EVO to replace my old 4tb Seagate HDD simply because I didn't want to deal with the mechanical drive seek time and drive head sounds would be 'not worth it' since that drive is exponentially more expensive than the HDD, but to me it has absolutely been worth it. Case in point.

Bottom line is that SLI is only worth it if you will benefit from it and be happy with that benefit - which all boils down to your individual situation, is the rest of your system already such that SLI'ing will immediately provide the benefit you seek? If not, look at other upgrades first - or if you mainly play games that lack good SLI support obviously the only option is to see if you can buy a more powerful single card.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

17 hours ago, SkeletonCross420 said:

So I just got a second gtx 1080 for SLI and I was wondering what games even support it in 2018? The nvidia website has limited details on this matter because some games patch in SLI later on like battlefield 1. SO what games actually support SLI or is it even worth the effort?

Depends on what game and use-case you have for SLI, I use 2 GTX 960 4GB Cards in SLI (and I know i'm going to get memed for it) but I mainly use it because I couldn't buy a 1080 TI at the time (1800+ USD, thanks miners) so I popped my 2ed GTX 960 I had lying around and started using SLI again. Though if you are going to use SLI, NVIDIA Inspector is a MUST as you can force a game to use SLI, and has other benefits like Multi Display Power Saver.

33 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Buying two of the same card costs twice as much than buying one of those cards, how is that biased or opinionated?

listen, im done with this topic, you seriously do not read my man. 
23r0g81.jpg
sorry i cuz out part of the quote, i was doing it on my cell phone. His 2 cards cost less then a 1080 and outperforms it. In that case theres facts and your still sitting here saying no.

Actually i dont remember that big scandal, so i cant speak on that. And truthfully with the games i played, and the 2 different gpu's i had 2 of to crossfire i never had a issue but, I play 5-10 games, or that many on my computer at a given time, and 2 i havent used nvidia until this new release coming, so maybe amd is a little better in crossfire? idk but because i dont have issues, i know that only 60-80% of games work good and a decent amount have issues. Some of us dont have issues, some do, but your telling OP its not worth it, thats not your choice to make. For you maybe so, to be honest for me with he games i play right now its not worth it either, my 4g card handles what i play atm but i have 2 cards of the same architecture so im using it.

Someones asking, is it worth it, you show them bad and good points about it, let them decide not just shoot your opinions or feelings like its law. All of the pro sli people on here have said negative things or what impacts two cards have. Yet you mr antoi dual cards just spouts his own opinion, doesnt say anything both way to help OP.

your one of these ppl i cant talk to, ill get banned if i keep it up, and id go to jail if we talked in real life. so ppl who buy a 8700k make no sence cuz we didnt go with what you thinks right? another example of how your opinionated and think how you think is the right way and everything else is wrong. Try helping OP's on any topic make a decision if they asked something, not give your opinion one way and nothing going 2 ways about it to help him. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

2 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

id go to jail if we talked in real life

lmao

14 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Bottom line is that SLI is only worth it if you will benefit from it and be happy with that benefit

Agreed, all I'm saying is that there are some benefits to be had, but those are heavily offset by the downsides for the majority of people.

28 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

I can't tell you what is 'worth it' any more than you can tell me. As an example, surely many of the forum users here would say that me buying a 4tb Samsung 850 EVO to replace my old 4tb Seagate HDD simply because I didn't want to deal with the mechanical drive seek time and drive head sounds would be 'not worth it' since that drive is exponentially more expensive than the HDD, but to me it has absolutely been worth it. Case in point.

Try buying a NVME M.2 drive because you didn't want to deal with SATA cables :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

28 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Try buying a NVME M.2 drive because you didn't want to deal with SATA cables :D

did that for my new mainstream build :D  main rig has a 2tb 960 Pro NVME for OS/apps and the 4tb SATA 850 EVO for 'bulk storage',  new rig has only a 1tb NVME 960 Pro cuz.. no cables!

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

X2 1080 Ti's not supported games

Black desert online 1440p (extreme settings)

Default Nvidia profile avg. 109 fps.

Cunstom Nvidia inspector profile avg. 165+ fps (gsync lock) avg. 189~210 fps ( no gsync)

FFXV (ultra settings)

Default profile avg. 105 fps

Cunstom Inspector profile avg. 154 fps 

PUBG(ultra settings)

Default profile @75~140 fps.

Cunstom Inspector profile @105~165 fps.

In some cases frametimes goes down too .

Worth? You can make it worth .

Many people talking here do not even own a SLI .

bb.

3 hours ago, Thimsarpel said:

X2 1080 Ti's not supported games

Black desert online 1440p (extreme settings)

Default Nvidia profile avg. 109 fps.

Cunstom Nvidia inspector profile avg. 165+ fps (gsync lock) avg. 189~210 fps ( no gsync)

FFXV (ultra settings)

Default profile avg. 105 fps

Cunstom Inspector profile avg. 154 fps 

PUBG(ultra settings)

Default profile @75~140 fps.

Cunstom Inspector profile @105~165 fps.

In some cases frametimes goes down too .

Worth? You can make it worth .

Many people talking here do not even own a SLI .

bb.

Pretty much this.

An unofficial fix can get SLI working in more games than not. Considering SLI already works in 3 out of every 4 games, that's a pretty decent amount of compatibility. Just gotta be sure to run those games at a high enough resolution for SLI to scale properly.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

I've been testing out a few games, and I got some pretty solid FPS boosts on games like withcer 3. Battlefield 1 somewhat supports it, but I've been noticing games patch it in later after launch.

• 3 months later...

Just to add to the conversation, I have 2x 1080ti's and with Nvidia Inspector, I play every game at 4k/60.  This won't always be without compromise though.  I do still on occasion have to turn shadows & geometry down a notch.  It's usually the Nvidia specific features that need to me minimized if not disabled.  But with recent DX12 MGPU support now becoming used more often by devs, the compatibility and need for an hour of tweaking is minimized.  Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a perfect example.  Not currently using any SLI bits and the only setting that is a little bugged in TAA combined with Ultra textures.  But if you enable 4X SSAA in Nvidia inspector, it works and look better than TAA anyway.