PC with completly hidden "24" pin cable!

Nardella

I have been wanting to build a PC that has a completely hidden 24 pin power cable. Below is a video where I demonstrate a working (posting) PC with no cable in the power connector of the motherboard. Instead the wires from the PSU are soldered to the back of the motherboard. I don't really have the budget to complete such a build at this time (I can't afford the risk to the components). If anyone wants to take my idea and run with it, please do. Credit for the idea would be nice.

I wonder if a video card could be hidden using a similar technique. WOuld have to be done by someone more skilled than me.

My original intention was to remove the power connector from the motherboard and reattach it to the rear. But my skills are not great and I just wanted to prove the idea could work. I actually think it looks better this way anyway.

Linus, if you need an idea for a new show (like scrapyard wars) you could have fans come in and help them build their crazy ideas.

I've seen the 24 pin hidden that way but you realize it would be easy to wreck the MOBO that way, not to mention voiding the warranty. I wish they would make MOBOs with the sockets for power and  front panel connectors already mounbted to the back side of the MOBO.

Check here to see how I reduced the visibility of the 24 pin cable in the computer I'm currently building. The MOBO is installed on a removeable MOBO tray which will be mounted 3/8" away from the back plate allowing cables to duck between the tray and the backplate, then exit through the hole in the backplate behind the MOBO tray. I'm doing the same for my other cables as much as possible.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Nice use of wireless HDMI.

lol jk.  But that is interesting.  I havent spent much time looking at the back of recent motherboards.  But I do not see why you couldn't heat the solder up and remove the socket and then flip on the back side of the motherboard.  Obviously you would need to drill a hole in the case for that to fit through.  This is interesting.  Ive very recently got a soldering iron.  Perhaps I will find a donor board I can test on. I think a board with no 24, 8 pin, or sata cables showing would be interesting.

I just realized all the inputs would be reversed as well.  So you would need a custom small extension to rewire it at the minimum

3 hours ago, evilmatchbox said:

I just realized all the inputs would be reversed as well.  So you would need a custom small extension to rewire it at the minimum

Either that or repin the 24 pin connector. If wiring directly to the MOBO, it would be a moot point.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just get 2 rigid 90 degree adapters.  Mnpctech sells them, I have one and it's super unobtrusive 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I think most people rather have the 24 pin so they can have custom sleeved cables to accent the build. Well that's why I would want it, and my custom 24pin cable for my current build is quite an accent piece at that 

_49B1225.jpg.6e685cab2615baa3a0142ff704600564.jpg

22 minutes ago, TekRed said:

I think most people rather have the 24 pin so they can have custom sleeved cables to accent the build. Well that's why I would want it, and my custom 24pin cable for my current build is quite an accent piece at that 

Yeah, to quote from one of LTT's recent videos (the one about the $2k case): cables don't need to be hidden, they need to be beautiful ;-)

That being said, to each their own - additional choices are never bad especially if they lead to interesting projects.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

Yeah, to quote from one of LTT's recent videos (the one about the $2k case): cables don't need to be hidden, they need to be beautiful ;-)

That being said, to each their own - additional choices are never bad especially if they lead to interesting projects.

Yup I remember that quote and it's true

To each their own is exactly what modding is about, expression through design and originality 

That's pretty cool. Right angle connectors at least exist.

On a side note, does anyone else always feel like they're going to snap the motherboard when attaching the 24 pin connector? I've done it a hundred times and I still get nervous.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 6/16/2018 at 5:26 AM, JoostinOnline said:

That's pretty cool. Right angle connectors at least exist.

On a side note, does anyone else always feel like they're going to snap the motherboard when attaching the 24 pin connector? I've done it a hundred times and I still get nervous.

Yeah, those buggers are always a bear to install. It can be even worse removing them. One trick I learned to make it a wee bit easier is to spray some silicone onto a rag or a finger tip and apply it to the plastic before inserting the connector into the header.

Jeannie

• 3 years later...

I've used 2x coolermastr  ATX 24 pin 90* Adapters for the last 4 builds. and to make it look cooler stick a blank over the join to hide the fact use used 2 adapters. Cheaper than buying modded cables

Removing the 24 pin a soldering it on from the other side would be an interesting solution, though it would require a custom 24 pin cable anyway and wouldn't fit in most cases.

Personally, I would consider a J-HACK M2426. I remember seeing a build log on here that used two copper rods soldered to the GPU as the power "cables". It would also work for the CPU 8pin, but I don't know how you would reduce the amount of wires in a 24pin further than the M2426.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II