What advice would you give to someone younger than you?

Paul Rudd

Highly depends; there is a thousand different scenarios and and million different reasons for why things are.

If I had to choose one thing... Be Yourself, not something your not.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What brief advice would you give to someone younger than you?

I'm not updating any status.

I'm just wondering from each individual that reads this what advice they think someone younger than themselves could benefit from knowing.

In the words of G.I. Joe, knowing is half the battle.

it's less about what you actually know, and more about what other people think of you. Don't be a dick

No matter what, try to maintain a mature and responsible manner. It can really get you places.

I'm not saying don't have fun, but you should also be mature and responsible in the fun you have and the things you do.

When I was a kid, I didn't hang out with a lot of other people my age and as a result, tended to be more mature than other kids I knew that were my age since I had picked up on that from the older people I hung out with. So have some peers and role models as well.

Don't be a jerk. Don't be "that guy". My parents would always tell me and my siblings when we were young that "we want to be known as the <last name>, not those <last name>"

"The word obnoxious exists because not everything is funny" -my dad.

Know how to defend yourself so you're able to in the event that you or other people are in danger. Something I personally value a lot, I believe everyone should know how to and be able to defend themselves and others. You never know what will happen, always be prepared(not stealing Boy Scout motto).

I'll undoubtedly come up with more stuff later, but this is all I've got for now.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1) You are who you are

2) Stop eating so much

3) Stop messing around

4) S T U D Y 

Learn gun safety, the process of buying a gun, and the FBI/CDC statistics behind the use of them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

how young? i assume age 18 and down

1) dont get yourself pregnant or impregnate others

2) stay in school

3) have a good relationship with your parents and family. dont be a rebellious dick to the ones who raise you. 

4) go out, meet people and do things. 

5) learn a skill/trade, younger you start, the better.

6) stay away from toxic people.

7) failure is common so dont worry too much about it

8) you always can, there is never cant. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 6/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, greaves1111 said:

it's less about what you actually know, and more about what other people think of you. Don't be a dick

@greaves1111 Your advice to someone younger than you is to not be a dick? 

On 6/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, wasab said:

how young? i assume age 18 and down

@wasab Any age younger than your age. And your answers are perfect. More than I expected as well. As for #8, you can't bend a spoon with your mind and have it scoop cereal into your mouth.

Honestly, don't worry so much about what people think of you. You're always gonna have people that won't like you so go be you. If you wanna ask out someone you like, go for it. if you wanna start a youtube channel about something you're passionate about, do it. And always remember, people will treat you as you treat them so in general don't be a dick to others and you'll be fine. 

Especially if you're from an English speaking country. LEARN ANOTHER LANGUAGE. I'm serious. We're awful for it. I'm guilty of neglecting this and I'm trying to learn German now.

Make sure you apply yourself in school cause it'll serve you well in the long term. And don't let others tell you what to do with your life. Do something you enjoy or it's not worth it.

Also some general advice if you want people to have any interest in you. HAVE A LIFE. I know that sounds mean but don't just be one of those people that goes to school or work, comes home and watches TV and does nothing else. Have hobbies, go see things, build something, learn a musical instrument (this is honestly so fun), learn a new skill. Find something you're passionate about and you'll be interesting to other people.

I know my reply has been a bit ranty but seriously, just try to enjoy life and make sure you make it worthwhile.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

@Inversion Excellent answers. Not worrying about what people think of you is a tough task. Even if what you think they think is a good thing, it's so tough to not think about it in general. I've always thought about making a YouTube channel but I have so many ideas, I should just make multiple channels. As for the last thing you said, it might be weird but I actually like not having much of an interesting life. For two reasons... One, I enjoy my life and two, I enjoy that people aren't interested in it. Makes enjoying it that much easier.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:21 PM, Drak3 said:

Learn gun safety, the process of buying a gun, and the FBI/CDC statistics behind the use of them.

@Drak3 I wish I did this before I turned 18. Long story short, I can no longer get a handgun license all because I tried to get cute on the application. In the "what is your location?" box, I put the word earth. Everything else I did perfectly. But that one answer they just weren't having for some reason. I guess I just didn't know how serious it was at the time. I still don't know actually. I mean, earth just so happens to be my location. So I did answer truthfully.

Every generation thinks they have the answers.  Don't fool yourself into think old people are fuddy duddy or don't understand.  The most successful people on this planet learnt from older generations rather than fighting them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just be yourself. Also, look at the world sometimes through the view of another person. The internet is a great place for this.

6 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Don´t study a useless or overrun subject

I study how to earn loads of $$$ by doing nothing. I got a certificate in it and everything. Now i am fully qualified to sit on my couch and doing nothing while getting pay loads of $$$$  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Life's short. Don't waste time being nice to assholes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:26 PM, Windows OS said:

Just be yourself. Also, look at the world sometimes through the view of another person. The internet is a great place for this.

@Windows OS Wow, what an extraordinary answer. Do you by chance know of a great way to find these views from other people? It can't be as easy as Googling "the world through the eyes of another person."

On 6/18/2018 at 5:30 PM, Teddy07 said:

Don´t study a useless or overrun subject

@Teddy07 I've never even thought of subjects being useless or overrun. Could you by chance give me some examples? I hope I don't already study them.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:37 PM, wasab said:

Now i am fully qualified to sit on my couch and doing nothing while getting pay loads of $$$$

@wasab Where does the $$$$ come from that you get?

On 6/18/2018 at 6:06 PM, Sierra Fox said:

things and people will offend you, deal with it, it shouldn't be up to everyone else to baby you and your feelings

@Sierra Fox I don't think I've ever agreed more with anything in my entire life. 

Read an hour of a non fiction book a day. Reading helps you learn new perspectives about the world.

Studying for Google IT Professional Certification

If you live in Serbia, get out while you're still young. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

-= Topics Merged =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

@Teddy07 I've never even thought of subjects being useless or overrun. Could you by chance give me some examples?

I am just stating my opinion. So please take no offense. ;)

worthless degrees: You will learn skills and knowledge that are not much sought after by employers. This means it is likely that you will not find a decent paying job.  Examples: English, Environmental Studies, Sociology, History, gender studies, liberal arts...

A friend got his history degree 5+ years ago and he still hasn´t a full-time job, let alone a decent paying. He still lives in his parent's house.  

overrun subjects:

Degrees that are studied by a lot of students. There are enough jobs out there, but there aren´t many decent paying ones. This leads to a high competition for the few good ones. 

examples: economics, law, biology, Chemie... (examples for Germany)

Economics is by far the biggest university course at my university. I switched sadly too late away from it, which means I wasted a lot of time. A friend got his bachelor with average marks and only found subcontracted work for his first job. He started an apprenticeship instead. 

-if you think you dont friends if you study and get a good job, youre wrong. social contacts are worth way more than any qualification. not talking drinking buddies. i mean business networking.

- derived from that id also say "just dont be dick"

- karma is real. you wanna be happy? start getting your life in order.

- nothing is free. in the end it always cost somebody something so treat it with respect.

- your parents are 20-40 years older than you. take every opportunity you get to spend time and gather memories with them.

- make a roadmap with detailed goals you want to achieve in your life with definite deadlines for those goals. then you can refine it and work on how to achieve them. dont just drift trough life mindlessly.

- no matter how fun the party is always be the most sober amongst your friends. not saying dont drink. but make sure you either dont emberres yourself or if you do at make sure everyone is so hammered they wont remember.

- sugar is more addicting than heroin. seriously i know everyone does it from a young age like its nothing and if your mommy hooks you at 3 years old how the hell are you supppsed to get off it but trust me - do it. sugar fucks up your body, your teeth, your sleep pattern, your attention span, its basically cocaine for kids. you know? like coca cola used to literally be in the beginning.

- not saying break the law but dont be a bitch about "following ALL the rules" either. sometimes you need to just let it slide.

- nobody is responsable for how your life turns out but you. blame yourself and ork on it and youll become a better person

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I'll keep them a little more simple... due to my own experiences... the "make a plan and stick to it" well lets say... plans are often useless, because things happen.

1. Carry a smile into the world, not a wicked one but a heart felt one. It will travel and come back to you

2. always go around with open eyes, see ever small wonder there is

3. be thankful for every day you have,  even the bad ones, those are the days you learn and grow

4. always try to become a better version of yourself

5. never stop learning, never lose curiosity

6. don't try to make friends in the thousands... make a few good ones. mostly in the end of all "friends" you have there is only one that stays with you no matter what.

7. learn to get along with what you have, but a little money on the side for "emergencies"

8. In a relationship, take your partner serious, even with the small things, respect your partner.

9. love unconditionally fully, even if ti may break you heart some day. 

10. cherish every moment with loved ones... you'll never know if it is the last time...

only a few...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN