HP Compaq 4000 Pro - SFF

Hi

Have this second pc, which for basic word, youtube and even Minecraft W10 works ok for my 8 year old son. But not the best at running a couple of apps at the same time. Or even google maps, street view.

Thinking of buying a new pc to replace, but just cant bring myself to at present since this works, and has been reliable for last 7? years.

Specs are E5800, socket 775 LGA, 4 GB ram, 500gb

Thinking of upgrading processor and maybe adding GT 1030, which might run a few basic games when he starts to want them.

Any idea what processor is best or best way forward.

Thanks

As far as the cpu goes I would recommend the core 2 duo E6700 and as far as gpu goes I would recommend upgrading the ram to 8Gb first and then only if you have the budget go for a gpu. If your budget stretches, the 1030 is excellent for the money but for the same price as a 1030 new you could get a 1050 second hand which would crush a 1030. Also an SSD is very good for old pc's so get a 60Gb ssd for the bood trive to go with the hdd (usually about $30-40)

Have a nice day:)

PC:    CPU: Core i7 4790k   I   GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor   I   COOLING: Custom water loop (cpu and gpu)  I  RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz   I   SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500Gb   I   HDD: WD blue 1TB, Hitatchi 2TB, Generic 1TB   I   PSU: EVGA 500w

1 minute ago, Ic3d said:

As far as the cpu goes I would recommend the core 2 duo E6700 and as far as gpu goes I would recommend upgrading the ram to 8Gb first and then only if you have the budget go for a gpu. If your budget stretches, the 1030 is excellent for the money but for the same price as a 1030 new you could get a 1050 second hand which would crush a 1030.

It should be possible to go up to a Q6600, it's an LGA 775 board.

Adding RAM would also be a good option.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Thanks been looking at Cex I'm in the UK, 4 gb ram appears to be £10 and Gt 1030 £55.

Processor Q6660 £12.

On CPU benchmark. E5800 1900, E6700 1943, Q6600 2958.

So big improvement for £12.

Although tempted by a cheap i5 2400 on ebay, say £60 and use my memory and hard drive.. bit more future proof.

Decisions decisions.

What would be decent cheap i5? Another HP SFF

Thanks

I'm also in the UK and CEX is a great option, as far as the i5 goes, I got a dell 3020 MT on Gumtree with a core i5 4570, 8Gb of ram, a 500Gb HDD and a 290w psu for £89 with some negotiation. I then put a 750w psu £15 second hand from Gumtree, a wifi card £10 new from Ebay, a Nvidia gtx 1060 3gb £190 second hand from CEX and an old ssd from my laptop in it.

PC:    CPU: Core i7 4790k   I   GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor   I   COOLING: Custom water loop (cpu and gpu)  I  RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz   I   SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500Gb   I   HDD: WD blue 1TB, Hitatchi 2TB, Generic 1TB   I   PSU: EVGA 500w

Thanks, that was a good price u paid.

Considering something similar but maybe not a 1060 bit expensive at present, especially with its usage.

Have a 'spare' ssd 60gb, that I could put in the old HP... upgrade CPU, add memory..

WIn 10 pro, office, Minecraft W10, ccleaner, few other files don't think would take up that much room would leave space on 60gb.

sounds great, get the £12 cpu and an extra 4Gb of ram and you have a decent everyday pc on your hands