Old HDD in my new build.

I was planning to upgrade my old CPU , which was running on Windows 10. The processor in use was an Intel Core 2 duo  clocked at 3.08 Ghz coupled with a DDR3 1333 MHz RAM. Now I completed my new cpu build, which has an AMD ryzen 5 2400G  and I'm thinking of using that old HDD. I've never heard of windows being optimised for a different architecture other than the Snapdragon processors ( I actually don't know if there is something like that. Correct me if there's any.). So can I use that HDD with the new Ryzen processor without formatting the drive ? Or is it a better idea to format the drive and install windows again for a better optimised performance ?

Thanks in advance.

You can use the old HDD in your Ryzen system, just make sure to sysprep the drive before transferring it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, CUDAcores89 said:

I didn't even know sysprep was a thing. I always just did a reinstall.

-snip-

Yeah, sysprep doesn't wipe your data. Just the different various drivers that can mess things up.

Reinstalls are usually the best though.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

@Crunchy Dragon thanks for the quick response. I've never came across the sysprep till now. Could you please explain how to do that or just reply with a link to some article in which I can find all the answers I need as a beginner.

2 minutes ago, pranav3630 said:

@Crunchy Dragon thanks for the quick response. I've never came across the sysprep till now. Could you please explain how to do that or just reply with a link to some article in which I can find all the answers I need as a beginner.

Hit Windows+R, type in "sysprep"(without quotes), open the application, and check the "Generalize" box. For shutdown options, just have it shutdown.

Your sysprep window should look like this:

image.png.6c2d55ed607a15fbbc2d974007db0541.png

Hit "OK", let it do its thing, and you're good to go.