is spending all my savings on a computer worth it?

I am 20 years old right now and have around 2k in my bank right now that I saved up

I always wanted a computer and feel like I can do so much if i get one

Should I take the leap and spend all my money? is it worth it? can I make my money back? what are your experiences?

I am having a mid life crises right now

That's an awful idea.

1 minute ago, DeWat4 said:

That's an awful idea.

why

No. If you want to buy a PC, get yourself a small build with a Ryzen APU -G. This should tide you over for a long while until you're out of your crisis. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

No

9 minutes ago, echy said:

No you're not

9 minutes ago, echy said:

can I make my money back?

from your computer? no. Do you have a job?

Do you have a car? (this should be priority over a computer)

Do you still live at home? 

you should always have savings just in case. spending it all on any single item, computer or not, is a terrible financial decision 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Well if you have no bills or anything, then sure. Buy yourself a GTX 1080 and i7 8700k PC.

I actually did the same thing when I was 19 and have regretted it ever since. Always keep money around for a rainy day. 

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

No

No you're not

from your computer? no. Do you have a job?

Do you have a car? (this should be priority over a computer)

Do you still live at home? 

you should always have savings just in case. spending it all on any single item, computer or not, is a terrible financial decision 

i have a part time job still with parents and borrowing their car, Right now it feels like there is no way out

3 minutes ago, echy said:

I am 20 years old right now and have around 2k in my bank right now that I saved up

Should I take the leap and spend all my money? is it worth it? can I make my money back? what are your experiences?

Whether it is worth it or not would be entirely up to you. $2,000 would buy a heck of a good PC but what are you going to use it for? Getting even a relatively modern computer would accomplish many or even most tasks.

Can you make your money back? Unless you're an incredibly savvy shopper with a decent customer base to flip used hardware or something, no. Don't even bother thinking you can.

Is it worth it? Kinda no. I love my Ryzen 7 based PC with a high end GPU. But now AMD is marching toward a 3rd generation of Ryzen and this system is barely 6 months old. Not that my computer is completely useless or anything but there is always the nagging feeling about if I had just waited another 6 months...but it won't matter because I'm sure in another 6 months something new and exciting would replace that shiny 3rd gen Ryzen.

Figure out what you want first. Then look around for parts. It's no big deal to splurge on a few things but I wouldn't go all out and blow your money trying to build a top of the line PC if all you're wanting is something you casually game on or write papers for your classes... Having a bit of money left over is pretty convenient if later you realize it would be nice to have that extra RAM or another hard drive for more...stuff. Plus the less you spend on your computer, the more you have to spend on games...and Doritos...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, echy said:

I decided to spend a good chunk of my savings (1.2k) on a mid-range Ryzen 7 build last year, which was one of the best decisions I've made; primarily due to how consistently I utilize it. It does depend on the use case of your PC, however. If you're going to use it to play your game library for hours on end, you probably don't want to introduce a giant time-suck into your life.

Just now, echy said:

i have a part time job still with parents and borrowing their car, Right now it feels like there is no way out

What do you currently have? You could look into upgrading an old desktop you have lying around if you are content on getting an upgrade.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What do you think you will do with a much better computer than the one you're using to access this website?

I only have a laptop that costed like 200$, its decent. I want to learn to graphic design, code, or something. I do not have a video card or cpu like a ryzen so .. my laptop kinda lags a lot

17 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

No. If you want to buy a PC, get yourself a small build with a Ryzen APU -G. This should tide you over for a long while until you're out of your crisis. 

im thinking about getting a ryzen 1700 with a  gtx 1080 video card

5 minutes ago, echy said:

i have a part time job

start looking for a full time job then.

Once you have a full time job, then you would be in a better position to spend that much

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

I decided to spend a good chunk of my savings (1.2k) on a mid-range Ryzen 7 build last year, which was one of the best decisions I've made; primarily due to how consistently I utilize it. It does depend on the use case of your PC, however. If you're going to use it to play your game library for hours on end, you probably don't want to introduce a giant time-suck into your life.

What do you currently have? You could look into upgrading an old desktop you have lying around if you are content on getting an upgrade.

a laptop that can not be be upgraded

1 minute ago, echy said:

a laptop that can not be be upgraded

Alright. If you feel that you would become more productive with an upgrade, I'd say it's a good investment, but don't spend your entire savings. You should be able to get by perfectly fine with a 1-1.4k build based on your workload. Just ensure that you're leaving yourself enough room to breathe to afford your basic needs.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

10 minutes ago, echy said:

borrowing their car

also get your own car before a PC. Your parents will appreciate that you wont have to use theirs (using fuels and added extra wear and miles onto it).

Not that I'm ever having kids, but i would be disappointing if my son/daughter spend all their money on a PC instead of a car if they were still using mine

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

22 minutes ago, echy said:

im thinking about getting a ryzen 1700 with a  gtx 1080 video card

imo you're better off spending part of that 2k on a used gaming rig(if you can find a good one) and the other part on a used car, save whatever's left for a rainy day.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

why would you need to spend  it all on a PC tough? can't you just buy a budget rig that stays below 1K and keep the rest of your savings?

well here some stuff i thought about getting, goes over 1k.. total=$1867.46

Screenshot (259).png

Screenshot (260).png

Screenshot (261).png

Screenshot (262).png

3 minutes ago, echy said:

well here some stuff i thought about getting, goes over 1k.. total=$1867.46

$2000 in your savings account isn't much at all, don't go wasting it all on a computer and then regretting it when you need the money for something else later down the road.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

$2000 in your savings account isn't much at all, don't go wasting it all on a computer and then regretting it when you need the money for something else later down the road.

I will wait a feel and see how i feel then. Thank you all. I appreciate every one little comment. 

3 hours ago, echy said:

I'll recommend not to spend everything on a gaming PC. Just find out if ur laptop is upgradable or not. Or else find a used Dell optiplex having 3rd or 4th gen i7 fr about $250 and pop in a GTX 1050ti/1060 and call it a day....and save money.

If u are still determined to build a new PC...then build something like this.... u'll get decent frame rates at 1080p..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor  ($178.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($70.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 3D 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.90 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card  ($284.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($45.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $784.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-12 04:20 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Considering youre 20 and still at home, no way. With a part time job, that 2k will be very useful. Get yourself a degree or a car and get a full time job, not a computer. A computer will wear out in 5 years anyways, devisions you make now will determine how your life plays out

5 hours ago, echy said:

I am 20 years old right now and have around 2k in my bank right now that I saved u

Save your money. 20 is old enough to know you shouldn't blow all your money on something. If you feel like there is a practical application that will make you more money, then spend up to $900 on a machine. Definitely not more.

5 hours ago, echy said:

You're also old enough to know that 20 year olds can't have a mid-life crisis.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440