Rubber near HDD electronics

ringo

I have some HDD vibration in my Define R5 and I will put all HDD anti vibration rubber on HDD adapter. Fractal by default tells that 2 rubber are enough but that didn`t stop my HDD from producing vibration. I will put 4 more on each HDD adapter. Two pair of rubber will touch HDD metal part and the last pair will be very close to HDD electronic. If it touches electornic can he do some damage to it? 

4 minutes ago, ringo said:

I have some HDD vibration in my Define R5 and I will put all HDD anti vibration rubber on HDD adapter. Fractal by default tells that 2 rubber are enough but that didn`t stop my HDD from producing vibration. I will put 4 more on each HDD adapter. Two pair of rubber will touch HDD metal part and the last pair will be very close to HDD electronic. If it touches electornic can he do some damage to it? 

Rubber being non conductive will have no problems, just make sure if there are metal fasteners that hold those rubber piece in place they don't make contact with anything to possibly short out.

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

Rubber being non conductive will have no problems, just make sure if there are metal fasteners that hold those rubber piece in place they don't make contact with anything to possibly short out.

Thanks. I made some mistake in calculation, it will in the end be 8 hdd anti vibration rubber. It will look like this (picture not mine, I just edited it). Red are parts for rubber. I hope this will stop case vibration.

hdd.jpg

Just now, ringo said:

Thanks. I made some mistake in calculation, it will in the end be 8 hdd anti vibration rubber. It will look like this (picture not mine, I just edited it). Red are parts for rubber. I hope this will stop case vibration.

You might find that it's the actual sled itself that is vibrating in those types of toolless mounting systems. Try placing some thin rubber strips or foam between the sled and cage to see if that removes some of the noise, having 4 of those rubber mounts should suffice for a HDD. 

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

You might find that it's the actual sled itself that is vibrating in those types of toolless mounting systems. Try placing some thin rubber strips or foam between the sled and cage to see if that removes some of the noise, having 4 of those rubber mounts should suffice for a HDD. 

What do you mean by sled? Those white HDD adapter? I am not a native englist speaker, sorry ;)

I also contacted FD support and they told me to put screws in holes on HDD cage.

Also I have some cheap rubber screws for fans, bought them on ebay long time ago, would it be wise to put them on fans instead of metal screws? It seems to me that fan would be unstable with them.

1 minute ago, ringo said:

What do you mean by sled? Those white HDD adapter? I am not a native englist speaker, sorry ;)

I also contacted FD support and they told me to put screws in holes on HDD cage.

Also I have some cheap rubber screws for fans, bought them on ebay long time ago, would it be wise to put them on fans instead of metal screws? It seems to me that fan would be unstable with them.

The white sled slides into the drive cage, between the sled and cage that can be some space or movement (play) so the potential for vibration between those two since they are toolless without something to psychically fasten it down. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

The white sled slides into the drive cage, between the sled and cage that can be some space or movement (play) so the potential for vibration between those two since they are toolless without something to psychically fasten it down. 

Also that HDD tray itself is rather light weight part, so it can also send vibration induced noise if vibration has well conducting path to it from HDD.

Something what tightly packed rubber pieces could do.

Really best check would be having HDD tray in such position inside case that its bottom can be touched when PC is running.

Touching it lightly with finger tips (or back side of fingers) should very effectively tell if HDD makes it vibrate.

ok thank you. What about rubber screws for fans? Is it worth it?