Can a dead CPU cause no activity?

Hi everyone, thought this might be a good place to get some help. So recently my CPU, Ryzen 3 1200 was experiencing a lot of thermal issues, causing my system to switch off, at first I thought it was a software issue, but worked out it wasn't and that I needed to replace my cooler, so I did, got a wraith max, installed it and nothing, my PSU fan wasn't spinning, no LEDs, no fan activity, no anything, so I replaced my PSU with a corsair tx550 thinking the thermal issues might have broken my other one, installed it and the same result as the cooler, so then I replaced my case and motherboard just yesterday, and again, nothing happened, I decided to take out the cooler and unfortunately bent some pins in the process, the CPU was stuck to the cooler as well, when I removed it I was surprised to see what looked like burn marks on either side of the chip, so now I definitely need a new CPU, but could an issue from intense thermal throttling actually cause absolutely zero activity? Am I missing something? Or was my presumably dead CPU causing all of this?

This sounds weird, can you post some pictures of the CPU ? 

14 minutes ago, BiakIsDead said:

Hi everyone, thought this might be a good place to get some help. So recently my CPU, Ryzen 3 1200 was experiencing a lot of thermal issues, causing my system to switch off, at first I thought it was a software issue, but worked out it wasn't and that I needed to replace my cooler, so I did, got a wraith max, installed it and nothing, my PSU fan wasn't spinning, no LEDs, no fan activity, no anything, so I replaced my PSU with a corsair tx550 thinking the thermal issues might have broken my other one, installed it and the same result as the cooler, so then I replaced my case and motherboard just yesterday, and again, nothing happened, I decided to take out the cooler and unfortunately bent some pins in the process, the CPU was stuck to the cooler as well, when I removed it I was surprised to see what looked like burn marks on either side of the chip, so now I definitely need a new CPU, but could an issue from intense thermal throttling actually cause absolutely zero activity? Am I missing something? Or was my presumably dead CPU causing all of this?

That does not seem right at all. What is the brand and model of your board? I don't recall the last time I've ever saw burn marks on a CPU. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

What was the 1st cooler you were using that wasn't working and what was the thermal paste application like?  Did it have adequate airflow?

The story offered makes me wonder how much damage it sustained when it thermal shutdown on multiple occasions.  Not to mention you leave me very confused when you tell us how you replace a motherboard, but then skip to later replacing a cooler and bending pins (when a motherboard replacement would require this same action), and at that time noticing your CPU was fused to the cooler.  Sounds to me like it was overheating while on the cooler and managed to melt into it a bit, or a less likely option, involving bent pins, and a short, causing the extreme heating.  In summary, are you sure about the exact time when the pins were bent, and can you give more details please.

To answer your question from the thread title, can your dead CPU cause the computer to not post?  Absolutely, and there's the mystery of what may have happened to the motherboard with pins bent and a cpu that went full meltdown.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That does not seem right at all. What is the brand and model of your board? I don't recall the last time I've ever saw burn marks on a CPU. 

I agree 200%, did a cap let go next to the cpu or a mosfet blow? got a picture near the socket?

to err is human, to really mess things up requires an IP.

My old board was an ASRock A320M-HDV and the new one is an ASRock AB350 Pro4

I dont think those marks are from the CPU as the actual chip underneath isn't that close to the edge.

Is there any marks on the actual PCB on the side where those marks are on the IHS?

8 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Sounds to me like it was overheating while on the cooler and managed to melt into it a bit

The CPU would have killed itself before it got hot enough to thermally stick the two together, what likely happened is the same as what happens to 99% of Ryzen(And any PGA chips for that matter) is that it simply got stuck due to the thermal paste, happens with freshly applied paste, happens with old/used paste.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I was using the stock wraith cooler that comes with the 1200, and I replaced the cooler before the motherboard, the issue being that it was literally not attached properly, most likely not contacting the CPU enough for good cooling, I'm terrible, and I bent the pins while trying to remove the new cooler, was going to try the old one, too much pressure on it while I was taking it out and or installing it

No marks on the PCB, and yeah it was stuck due to fresh thermal paste

And both motherboards are fine, no signs of damage on either, so in short my mistake of not attaching the original cooler properly caused the thermal throttling, which eventually caused the CPU to die, which is what was causing nothing to happen, I'm basically working with all new out of the box parts now except the cpu, RAM, drives and GPU