Altec horn + 15" woofer system

spwath

Thought I would share my latest creation. Cost me only $350 to assemble.

Uses altec 811b horns, emilar compression drivers, jbl 2226h woofers, and jbl pa cabinets. I had to enlarge the horn whole to fit the altec, and add an l pad to tone it down. Result sounds great. Weigh 85lbs each. I get good volume with 60% volume on my 3w tube amp. I also have a 400w amp for next year. I plan to bi-amp as well.

20180606_204438.thumb.jpg.a2052a57ec543ed16efef7a150eca251.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

This looks like the bastardized amalgamation of what our "eccentric" family friend would come up with.

10/10 for still owning a CRT, Boston poster, Mac?, and what appears to be a fantastically tiny cluttered room with two gigantic speakers.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

This looks like the bastardized amalgamation of what our "eccentric" family friend would come up with.

10/10 for still owning a CRT, Boston poster, Mac?, and what appears to be a fantastically tiny cluttered room with two gigantic speakers.

Crt is for super smash melee, Boston poster is actually an lp, and Mac is emptied out and used to store alcohol. I have another non gutted powermac g5 under my desk for when I want to uhh.. use a computer with an old os and a cpu architecture that can't run any modern programs.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Crt is for super smash melee, Boston poster is actually an lp, and Mac is emptied out and used to store alcohol. I have another non gutted powermac g5 under my desk for when I want to uhh.. use a computer with an old os and a cpu architecture that can't run any modern programs.

Sounds remarkably useful. A Mac liquor cabinet intrigues me.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Sounds remarkably useful. A Mac liquor cabinet intrigues me.

Works well. All aluminum nice design, built in place to lock it shut, and unassuming.

Just now, spwath said:

Works well. All aluminum nice design, built in place to lock it shut, and unassuming.

I question the need to lock your liquor in a $5000 "cabinet."

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

I question the need to lock your liquor in a $5000 "cabinet."

Well I got it for $100 on Craigslist, and at some point gutted it for some reason. Motherboard is on the wall. Was sitting behind my couch for a while until I thought "hey this is a good place to put liquor"

Please tell me your not using those speakers in that room...

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Please tell me your not using those speakers in that room...

For now I am. When I go back to college I have a bigger space for them.

Listening to "Selling England by the Pound" by Genesis right now, and they still sound great in my tiny 10x10 room with a loft bed, large desk, couch, and a whole bunch of other shit.

5 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

Holy shit. Good job, man.

Wasn't too hard, just needed to widen some holes, solder some wire, and screw some stuff in. Makes for a great sounding and indestructible 85lb speaker.

Just now, elira said:

Are you using a custom crossover?

Right now I am using the crossover that was in the speakers, at 1.1khz, but plan on biamping with a minidsp.

I'll do some measurements outside tomorrow and post them.

Thats a 16 ohm 30 Watt horn  how you running that off 3Watt tube amp?

1 hour ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

where you get those specs from? I didn't even list my specific driver.

Its 8 ohm, 100w.

sensitivity for the horn is 100+ db. The woofer is 96db.

I use the tube amp at about 60% volume, but I am only about 2 ft from the speakers/.

6 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Horns are very efficient.

I'll be bi amping them. Just got this Myryrad MA-120 60w/channel amp for the bottoms, getting a nice 10w/channel amp for the highs. Will be using a mini dsp for active crossover. Also picked up a nice Carver CT-7 pre amp.

20180612_085319.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got my bi amped system set up with the minidsp

V5m6PPs.jpg

2 hours ago, spwath said:

Got my bi amped system set up with the minidsp

V5m6PPs.jpg

I spy a jonokuchi

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

6 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

I spy a jonokuchi

Yup, driving my tweeters, and headphones.