Leaks suggest 3rd Model of Pixel 3 with Midrange Price and Specs

WinFuture’s highly respected tipster Roland Quandt, who has hit the motherlode with leaks like this in the past, has revealed Google is not working on two Pixel 3 smartphones. It is working on three.  Furthermore, Quandt states Google’s third Pixel is likely to be a “mid-range” model you can actually afford. It will be based on Qualcomm’s impressive new Snapdragon 710 chipset (which promises performance close to 2017’s flagship Snapdragon 835) and hardware development is already underway.

I would love to see an affordable Pixel model. I went from Nexus to OnePlus after the price jump, but the idea of getting the pixel software on a cheaper phone is really enticing. As the article states:

...the strength of the Pixel is software and image processing, which is less hardware dependent and that can transform the midrange market.

Which is absolutely true.

Unfortunately, Google is infamous for its wishy-washy attitude towards products and devices, and we may not ever see this make it to market, at least in its current form. There is also the possibility of a budget pixel cannibalizing the high-end, high-margin phone sales. After all, if the Pixel camera is so good because of the software, imagine what they could do with a midrange spec'd camera.

That said, I'm rooting for Google here. If they release it and it isn't complete garbage (*cough*Pixel2Bezels*cough*) I'd bet a lot of people would be buying.

Edited by Qub3d
corrected link to tweet

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

So, a Nexus.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I would get the rumored Pixel 3 non XL to not have a notch. Also, I dont get the super hate phones get for hazing bezels. I kinda dont want my phone to be all screen, get a lot of scratches and less places to hold/touch without tapping something on screen. Just my opinion though. 

What's funny is that XL one is said to have notch which is such a bad decision. It's a failed design. Hopefully they retract from that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

37 minutes ago, KingLuvely said:

less places to hold/touch without tapping something on screen.

Yeah that doesnt happen. Palm rejection on all phones are quite good. 

Just now, Joel2003 said:

Personally I don't mind the notch but the 3xl's rumoured one is very ugly unlike a op6 or p20 that looks slick the pixels stand out too much

Imho I don't care about the looks of a phone, just want it to be fast, reliable and durable. 

11 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Why does everyone dislike the idea of a notch? 

For some reason people cant wrap their heads around using dead space on a phone. 

I get it, your precious videos will have a distraction, software can fix that. But 90% of the time the phone is held vertically. and the extra room is nice. 

I do have a S8+ though cuz its damn sexy. 

Who's gonna upgrade phones this year? 
I don't think most people will upgrade their phones because most of the releases this year, it's just an incremental upgrade. No groundbreaking features or fancy hardware to see.
Yes, the S9 has the first ever Variable aperture. The P20 Pro has three incredible cameras. Pixel 3 XL with a Notch...

I've been saying for the last 3 years or wherever that Google really should have kept the Nexus line as low-mid end offices that aren't actually shit. Decent build quality, average specs at 150-200gbp would be nice.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

What's funny is that XL one is said to have notch which is such a bad decision. It's a failed design. Hopefully they retract from that.

I still don't get it. What's so bad about the notch? You get more screen real estate than if there wasn't one, and rarely does it ever block stuff. And on a lot of phones, you can just get rid of the notch and fill the space out if you want.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah that doesnt happen. Palm rejection on all phones are quite good. 

I hold my phone in place using my fingers as well as my palm so this wouldn't help. 

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I still don't get it. What's so bad about the notch? You get more screen real estate than if there wasn't one, and rarely does it ever block stuff. And on a lot of phones, you can just get rid of the notch and fill the space out if you want.

Because I don't like change and refuse to have a notch. Also I think it looks dumb imo and is useless to me. I generally don't like stupid trends and this seems like one to me in all honesty. Phone companies are just slapping a notch on their phone and make it seem like they have made some huge improvement when it really isn't. It is sort of like the rgb craze where it is slapped on everything for marketing reasons and now the product is considered premium and cost more. 

33 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Because I don't like change and refuse to have a notch. Also I think it looks dumb imo and is useless to me. I generally don't like stupid trends and this seems like one to me in all honesty. Phone companies are just slapping a notch on their phone and make it seem like they have made some huge improvement when it really isn't. It is sort of like the rgb craze where it is slapped on everything for marketing reasons and now the product is considered premium and cost more. 

Yeah but isn't it better than the alternative? You get the option of having more screen real estate.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The notch is dumb to me, having that part of the screen taken up looks worse than having bezels IMO. Those bezels usually add to the phones durability, I also think the bezels on the Pixel2 were fine though.

LIke the rgb craze where now it's almost on everything and you have to pay extra for that "feature" of a bunch of LED's when i'd rather look at my screen, not the light party in my case that doesn't even have a side window.

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah but isn't it better than the alternative? You get the option of having more screen real estate.

Anything worth that bit of screen real estate just gets blocked by the notch, no point in copying Apple's hardware flaw when you have to lose that extra screen space by hiding the notch to watch a video in landscape mode.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

It's an eyesore. You don't get more screen real estate, the part of screen is "bitten" and the design serves no purpose. Yes it blocks stuff, scrolling like a bright page even is distracting seeing that dark part. Videos look bad. Everyone copy it and started including it for no reason at all. Phones that don't even have it made it just better. 
And I know some allow you to so called get rid of it by making it just fill black. Need to have AMOLED display as well to make sense even.

It's just a fail. Apple did it for the X for whatever reason trying to have those sides of display around front sensors and all, everyone copy that flaw. The phones that still have higher aspect ratio just work and look better. Latest one the Asus ROG phone. It literally puts to shame all notch phones.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Anything worth that bit of screen real estate just gets blocked by the notch, no point in copying Apple's hardware flaw when you have to lose that extra screen space by hiding the notch to watch a video in landscape mode.

I think they usually put the time + cell reception as well as sometimes some app notifications up there, no? The space does actually get used then.

43 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's an eyesore. You don't get more screen real estate, the part of screen is "bitten" and the design serves no purpose. Yes it blocks stuff, scrolling like a bright page even is distracting seeing that dark part. Videos look bad. Everyone copy it and started including it for no reason at all. Phones that don't even have it made it just better.

How do videos look bad? Normally in a 16:9 video that part of the screen isn't used.

44 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

And I know some allow you to so called get rid of it by making it just fill black. Need to have AMOLED display as well to make sense even

I could understand this bit.

Just a random question though, is your opinion the same for the Essential Phone notch?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

You don't get the option. You have it made for you. If you want the newest flagship phones that are actually worth getting you are kinda forced to buy one with a notch. At least with rgb you can simply turn the lights off. You can't get rid of the notch as it is a physical characteristic of the phone. 

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

And I have no idea how the extra sliver of screen realistate is really helpful in any meaningful way. I mean if they had a little slice of extra screen on the back of would be about as useful as the notch. 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

And I have no idea how the extra sliver of screen realistate is really helpful in any meaningful way. I mean if they had a little slice of extra screen on the back of would be about as useful as the notch. 

Indeed. Having such a notch is simply the result of the absurd idea everyone has that every phone needs to have the biggest screen with the smallest bezels. So manufacturers try to maximize their screen size to phone size ratio by all means necessary resulting in the hidious implementation of a notch.

16 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Why does everyone dislike the idea of a notch? 

because apple is the one that started it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

18 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

because apple is the one that started it. 

Hahaha, blame Apple ;):D

36 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Hahaha, blame Apple ;):D

#APPLE IS DOOMED I TELL YOU! DOOMED! 

Image 002.jpg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.