TweakTown: NVIDIA GTX 1180 Launching on July 30

So, this got posted about an hour ago from the time of writing:

But walking across the floor of Nangang and talking to various industry people, NVIDIA will be launching their next-gen GeForce GTX 1180 graphic card on July 30. NVIDIA CEO and founder Jensen Huang said they were a while away during NVIDIA's Computex 2018 press conference, but of course he's going to say that.

BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S A HUGE CATCH. This post was a miscommunication between the writer of the article and the sources he spoke to. At the top of the article, he corrects this with:

Computex 2018 - I disappointed so many people with my report that NVIDIA would unveil their next-gen GeForce GTX 1180 graphics cards during GTC 2018, and admit failure. I'll give each and every one of you a cuddle when I see you for the disappointment.

So why even post this? So that nobody here gets overly excited to then be utterly crushed and also to elaborate on the volatility of the tech news that are still going on regarding the next gen GPUs. I'd like emphasize that the salt trucks need to make stops in everything you read out there until official announcements.

Who else was disappointed about the news from the GTC conference?

Sources Used:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62136/nvidia-launching-next-gen-geforce-gtx-1180-july-30/index.html

Because some were expecting new cards to be released during Computex?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Nvidia has no reason to push out a new chip. They have heaps of headroom on pastel and looks like they have more tweaking left in the next refresh.

amd I’d expect to hit 1080ti performance with the zen team looking at doing two Vegas gpus linked as one chip like ryzen. It probably will be great but power usage will be twice nvidia.

fingers crossed it comes out this year.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

There's nothing making NVIDIA release a new one too soon but if it does- then all is welcome considering it's a good upgrade. I am for sure- gonna enjoy my 980Ti for a while... maybe, just maybe snag a cheaper 1080Ti HOF when the new ones comes out.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

amd I’d expect to hit 1080ti performance with the zen team looking at doing two Vegas gpus linked as one chip like ryzen. It probably will be great but power usage will be twice nvidia.

fingers crossed it comes out this year.

Where have you gotten this from?

Latest roadmaps put Navi next year. With rumoured 1080 performance. This year is Vega 7nm and we arent shure it is even going to hit the consumer space

Isn't GDDR6 launching production later on though? Imo they're waiting it out for AMD chips to have more confirmed details. They want to be performing a bit better than AMD at lower power consumption and they are in no rush to compete with their own cards 

That's an F in the profile pic

8 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Isn't GDDR6 launching production later on though? Imo they're waiting it out for AMD chips to have more confirmed details. They want to be performing a bit better than AMD at lower power consumption and they are in no rush to compete with their own cards 

I read about that too, however there is always the option to go with GDDR5X. I don't see many games taking advantage of speeds higher than what we currently have.

Personally, I would like both Nvidia and AMD to release something new, but since the mining wars they're still cashing in and when the new cards finally come out, the market will be flooded with overly used GPUs.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

I sincerely hope this person and his "sources" are correct.

The Nvidia CEO said during his interview a few days ago that they were " a long time" away, whatever that means. I guess that is sufficiently vague to be able to say: I meant 2 months is a "long time".

6 minutes ago, maartendc said:

The Nvidia CEO said during his interview a few days ago that they were " a long time" away, whatever that means.

At least 6 months assuming he was serious and not just deflecting the question in a way that people would stop asking it.

Either the translation went wrong somewhere or the article is just made up nonsense, either way we will see in time.

i personally don’t care because all I’m playing recently is fortnite so my 1080ti can do the job plenty at 4k

23 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Either the translation went wrong somewhere or the article is just made up nonsense, either way we will see in time.

i personally don’t care because all I’m playing recently is fortnite so my 1080ti can do the job plenty at 4k

Did the interview take place in Chinese and get translated or something? In that case, I can definitely see something meaning "a little while" be mistranslated into "a long time".

No idea about the reputation of Tweaktown when it comes to rumors, but they are a respected outlet for reviews at least.

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

GDDR6 has been in mass production for a few months now.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12338/samsung-starts-mass-production-of-gddr6-memory

could be new gen is long away

but pascal refresh prolly around the corner

theres a big hole from 5120 and 3840

600 to 700 series liek maybe?

3 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

Affordable 4K back on! (?)

Don’t get your hopes up too soon. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

The Nvidia CEO said during his interview a few days ago that they were " a long time" away, whatever that means.

I'm also a bit confused right now... :|

3 hours ago, maartendc said:

The Nvidia CEO said during his interview a few days ago that they were " a long time" away, whatever that means. I guess that is sufficiently vague to be able to say: I meant 2 months is a "long time".

July 30 2019?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Where have you gotten this from?

Latest roadmaps put Navi next year. With rumoured 1080 performance. This year is Vega 7nm and we arent shure it is even going to hit the consumer space

It was post a while back picked up by a lot of outlets.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-zen-next-gen-radeon-graphics

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

17 hours ago, BurnedPriest said:

What the fuck is this misleading topic? Nice title.

I'd like to point you towards this here thing I mentioned in the post:

I'd like emphasize that the salt trucks need to make stops in everything you read out there until official announcements.

Anyway, yes, I agree with you on the tittle being misleading (disclaimer: title of this post is LITERALLY the same as the original article), but that is precisely one of the reasons that made me post this in the first place, so that people understand that salt must be had with articles related to extremely popular topics.

The confusing part is this:

On 5/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, AtlasWraith said:

BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S A HUGE CATCH. This post was a miscommunication between the writer of the article and the sources he spoke to. At the top of the article, he corrects this with:

What was the point of this part? There is no catch and you made it seem as if the statement in the title was the miscommunication mentioned, thus making the title false.

There was absolutely no reason for that part, I had to look up the original article to clear this up.

Maybe I'm just stupid, dunno.

On 5-6-2018 at 4:07 PM, linustouchtips said:

see you at 10 pm EST

Will you be giving us tips how to touch? I'm more hyped about that than your 7nm Vegan GPU.

So what is this? I'm confused, 2 months is not a long time away, unless it's July 30 2048.

And I'm not hyped at all nor disappointed. Those moronic miners will buy them out anyway so retailers will be jacking up the prices till you have to sell your entire body with soul and I like my soul.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280