Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Now guys, I really like Linus (and he's team) with what they're doing for example with Floatplane stuff etc. I think Linus Is a great man, and is kind of inspiring, in some ways. But I was trying to be a little critical on their way of creating a new platform (speaking about Floatplane). If Linus, and Luke for that sake, was trying to get their YouTube viewers on Floatplane to expand their business/media, then let's say they achieved that successfully. Then they would have a kind off "Backup", just in case YouTube screwed up with their algorithms,  and so more and more  YouTubers would convert to Floatplane from YouTube. But that would just result in Luke and Linus controlling Floatplane, like Google controls Youtube, along with the Youtubers on the platform. Meaning that Linus, and Luke, practicly could control a big part of those who "theoretically" converted to Floatplane. Wouldn't that just make LMG/Floatplane the new YouTube? A solution could be to make a rule in the policy, saying something in the likes of" The owners of Floatplane should never be allowed to control, nor manipulate any of the creaters channel..." What do you guys think, can you follow my way thinking? 

Not meant to judge anybody, just to get people thinking..

Unlike YouTube there wont be a billion people on float plane so the creatosr on float plane can jump plane any time they want so Linus would have alot more to lose by doing something like that 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I quess it is like you are talking, floatplane is open and they once told, if I remember correctly that also nudity and less friendly stuff will be allowed in some way, the same case is with twitch and yt stream that banned couple streamers in Poland because they were too hardcore, drunk streams, swearing, bulling people on webcams etc. ( one was even taken by the police) the moved to third party streaming platform that allows them to show nudity and other hardcore stuff

+ floatplane is more direct than youtube, you come there for those creators that you want, you pay for it so LMG has less intrest in doing algorythms shit

Considering it's a per-creator subscription, they would basically lose out if they started pulling the same shit Google is doing with our subscriptions on Youtube.

Floatplane is not a youtube replacement. It's a Vessel replacement, an early access platform.

But I personally view it as a Patreon sort of things, where you support a specific creator that you like, which gets you early viewing of their videos and some behind the scenes that would never make it to youtube as additional perks, without ads. (Which are what supports the creators on Youtube, so if you use adblock, they get nothing at all.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Floatplane is not a youtube replacement. It's a Vessel replacement, an early access platform.

I can definitely agree with this.

The principle of Floatplane is more tied to Vessel than YouTube.

Floatplane is more of a Patreon than YouTube, you can use YouTube for "free" both to consume content and to release content, while Floatplane is pay to use either as a consumer or as creator/uploader.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
On 6/2/2018 at 12:51 PM, Janus Aagaard said:

If Linus, and Luke for that sake,

First, Floatplane is handled by Floatplane Media where Luke is CTO. It and LMG are sister companies under holding company. While Linus does look over what happens in FPM, he doesn't have any major control over what other creators do.

But that would just result in Luke and Linus controlling Floatplane, like Google controls Youtube, along with the Youtubers on the platform.

Youtube is run with ads, and advertisers are actually ones doing control. Google is just implementing rules to keep money flowing from advertisers.

Meaning that Linus, and Luke, practicly could control a big part of those who "theoretically" converted to Floatplane.

Since its like pay-per-view business model, only rules are Canada's laws. Or maybe laws of all countries their servers are located, I'm not quite sure how it works. If viewer wants to pay to watch busty girls or drunk men, playing around with guns, joking about suicide etc., nothing stand their way. As long as its within Canada's laws. So I would think drinking under-aged, drinking and driving, actually committing crimes etc. are out of question.

Wouldn't that just make LMG/Floatplane the new YouTube?

No. Youtube is ad-run free to watch service. FP is pay-per-creator support the ones you like type.

A solution could be to make a rule in the policy, saying something in the likes of" The owners of Floatplane should never be allowed to control, nor manipulate any of the creaters channel..." What do you guys think, can you follow my way thinking?

Since this is just another way to gain revenue to creators, its more likely that others would just leave platform if something so radical is made. Which is kinda against common sense, and when there aren't outside parties evolved with money flow, that would be really bad decision business wise. If creator does something users don't like, they will see it in dropped subscriptions. No need for FPM management take steps, as long as any laws aren't violated.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 02/06/2018 at 5:51 PM, Janus Aagaard said:

Now guys, I really like Linus (and he's team) with what they're doing for example with Floatplane stuff etc. I think Linus Is a great man, and is kind of inspiring, in some ways. But I was trying to be a little critical on their way of creating a new platform (speaking about Floatplane). If Linus, and Luke for that sake, was trying to get their YouTube viewers on Floatplane to expand their business/media, then let's say they achieved that successfully. Then they would have a kind off "Backup", just in case YouTube screwed up with their algorithms,  and so more and more  YouTubers would convert to Floatplane from YouTube. But that would just result in Luke and Linus controlling Floatplane, like Google controls Youtube, along with the Youtubers on the platform. Meaning that Linus, and Luke, practicly could control a big part of those who "theoretically" converted to Floatplane. Wouldn't that just make LMG/Floatplane the new YouTube? A solution could be to make a rule in the policy, saying something in the likes of" The owners of Floatplane should never be allowed to control, nor manipulate any of the creaters channel..." What do you guys think, can you follow my way thinking? 

Not meant to judge anybody, just to get people thinking..

That's the whole point behind Fight Club. 

You can't create a new world order without first doing away with the current one. 

Floatplane is not a new YouTube, it's a new Vessel.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

This is almost like calling something the next WoW-killer.

Nope, nah, nu-uh, nada.

But I guess it's something like NetFlix in a small world.

On 6/2/2018 at 3:51 AM, Janus Aagaard said:

trying

its them trying to cash in, thats all it is.

14 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Floatplane is not a new YouTube, it's a new Vessel.

More like that. I'd really like to get what are the differences between vessel and float plane other than individual subscription

3 minutes ago, IgorM said:

More like that. I'd really like to get what are the differences between vessel and float plane other than individual subscription

That's about it. Well Vessel had a free public version. The paid version is just for early access to videos before they are made public. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 24GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Green 1.5TB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 14.71) | iPhone XR (iOS 14.7.1) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) 

9 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That's about it. Well Vessel had a free public version. The paid version is just for early access to videos before they are made public. 

And not because vessel ended it means it was unsuccessful

8 hours ago, IgorM said:

And not because vessel ended it means it was unsuccessful

Actually they got bought out by Verizon & the team were re-assigned to work on Verizon's streaming service, it wasn't unsuccessful, if it was unsuccessful they would not have been bought out.

IMO Vessel was awesome & I was sad to see it go, I got in when LTT got signed & people got a free year because of it & after that I kept paying for it, because it had a lot of my favourite creators on there & it was worth it for seeing a lot of content 3 or 7 days in advance, plus I could cast to my Chromecast as well that was always handy.

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

Float plane gives your subscription money directly to the creators you watch and Linus stated that they don't intend to impose limits based on content type as long as it's legal for them to host it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

1 hour ago, Virus__ said:

Actually they got bought out by Verizon & the team were re-assigned to work on Verizon's streaming service, it wasn't unsuccessful, if it was unsuccessful they would not have been bought out.

IMO Vessel was awesome & I was sad to see it go, I got in when LTT got signed & people got a free year because of it & after that I kept paying for it, because it had a lot of my favourite creators on there & it was worth it for seeing a lot of content 3 or 7 days in advance, plus I could cast to my Chromecast as well that was always handy.

that's why I said it wasn't unsuccessfull

11 hours ago, IgorM said:

that's why I said it wasn't unsuccessfull

Blah, my bad. I shouldn't be reading things on here late at night after a long day at work. When I read it, I read and I thought you said you were saying it was unsuccessful, but when I read it now, all makes sense. So yeah, sorry dude.

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

25 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

Blah

No need to apologize, btw love the beard, is it current?

Maybe get LTT shaved into it ;)

btw I have no clue what floatplane looks like, nor the appeal it has.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

No need to apologize, btw love the beard, is it current?

btw I have no clue what floatplane looks like, nor the appeal it has.

Nah, I should. I was wrong.

and yeah, 15 months & going strong I think. Everyone loves it.

Floatplane is great imo, I love how it instantly buffers 1080P, the video bitrate is just so much better than YT too. I can't even get YT to buffer 1080P instantly on my 50mpbs down & 20mbps up VDSL connection.

PC

NAS

MacBook Air 2014

no

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

btw love the beard, is it current?

@Virus__

Talking about shaving...

Dollar Shave Club is the convenient, inexpensive way to make sure that you never shave using a dull razor again.

xD