Microsoft intentionally hiding Chrome from their Search Engine

Bcat00
1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

technically not broken, but glitchy: this forum. scroll up and down really fast and the top bar starts flashing. at least that's what my laptop did about a month ago. 

i made a topic about it then: 

Probably Edge's rendering engine being broken or not liking your GPU

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, firelighter487 said:

technically not broken, but glitchy: this forum. scroll up and down really fast and the top bar starts flashing. at least that's what my laptop did about a month ago. 

i made a topic about it then: 

Interesting, I probably spend way too much time on the forum nowadays but this isn't something I can reproduce. It's a shame people weren't willing to try to diagnose your issue more, I'd have liked to see the screen cap of it if you had made one.

I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

But Bing on Firefox and Safari aren't giving me this behavior either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Interesting, I probably spend way too much time on the forum nowadays but this isn't something I can reproduce. It's a shame people weren't willing to try to diagnose your issue more, I'd have liked to see the screen cap of it if you had made one.

that laptop is a little weak for screen capture, and i believe at the time i hadn't replaced the thermal paste, so it ran quite hot when doing intensive stuff. 

i can't try to reproduce it again, because that laptop is now running Linux. so yeah.. i don't have Edge anymore. 

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Probably Edge's rendering engine being broken or not liking your GPU

perhaps. i know it was an Edge only issue so.. 

She/Her

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

For aliexpress it was also the checkout which does not work.

I can tell you that the Windows Phone Edge browser is total unstable and not a pleasure to use.

More often i run into issues related with privacy tools and ad blocks. For example any page using google captcha is not usable as google believes you are a bot if you prevent tracking. It is even worse then the behavior taran (looks like he is not as strict for blocking tracking) have uploaded to YouTube:

Also, things using Google sign in can have so trouble on Edge in my experience

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

9 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

slight correction there, i think you mean chromium in first place (which is the open-source version of google chrome, and what browsers like Opera are based on)

If you mean by engines, yes chrome is derived from open source chromium, which is now called blink (a fork from webkit). It's similar now, but it could be very different later.

5 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Exactly, Chrome/ium has the best rendering engine. Therefore it is the best.

To say it's the best maybe relative, depends on how well the pages are optimized for it.

But for code support, yes, currently chrome has the most support for HTML5 code.

image.png.efc4b9ebfe351653441e3d1015b46ad3.png

555 is currently the maximum points, so chrome still has some features missing.

source : https://html5test.com/results/desktop.html

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

For aliexpress it was also the checkout which does not work.

I can tell you that the Windows Phone Edge browser is total unstable and not a pleasure to use.

More often i run into issues related with privacy tools and ad blocks. For example any page using google captcha is not usable as google believes you are a bot if you prevent tracking. It is even worse then the behavior taran (looks like he is not as strict for blocking tracking) have uploaded to YouTube:

As someone who has multiple Windows Phones, including both the HP Elite X3 and the Lumia 1520, arguably two of the best - that's a really unfair comparison. It was never in a fully stable state before the platform got shelved. Edge on Desktop is actively maintained and developed.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

If you mean by engines, yes chrome is derived from open source chromium, which is now called blink (a fork from webkit). It's similar now, but it could be very different later.

yeah, but that does mean similar performance right? i don't know exactly how that all works but i always thought if you put a chromium-based browser side to side with google chrome it'd be about the same speed and website compatibility... 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Edge on Desktop is actively maintained and developed.

and you can see that if you compare Edge when Windows 10 first came out to now. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yeah, but that does mean similar performance right? i don't know exactly how that all works but i always thought if you put a chromium-based browser side to side with google chrome it'd be about the same speed and website compatibility... 

No, it depends on the browser implementing tweaks and optimizations. Chrome is well funded with tons of programmers to debug any problems. Plus different browser have different features, that is the selling point, not just the engine. By looking at the score i posted above you can see Opera is lagging 10 points behind Chrome, similar engine doesn't mean similar performance. Just look at android phones.

Edge is a great browser, given more time it could eclipse chrome.

One thing i don't like using it is the missing "right-click and search".

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

No, it depends on the browser implementing tweaks and optimizations. Chrome is well funded with tons of programmers to debug any problems. Plus different browser have different features, that is the selling point, not just the engine. By looking at the score i posted above you can see Opera is lagging 10 points behind Chrome, similar engine doesn't mean similar performance. Just look at android phones.

oh ok. i understand. 

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

One thing i don't like using it is the missing "right-click and search".

i have that on Edge on my system...

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i have that on Edge on my system...

image.png.7f3ab65ab2eb22017b68e8b0401df39b.png

Strange, I don't see it. Using the latest version. You're using any plugins?

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

image.png.7f3ab65ab2eb22017b68e8b0401df39b.png

Strange, I don't see it. Using the latest version. You're using any plugins?

oh i thought you meant in the address bar. nevermind.

She/Her

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

So i was just in the middle of reformatting my sister's computer and when i got to looking for the Chrome installer on internet explorer, well guess what, it WON'T show lol

All it pops up is a bar at the top saying EDGE is the best browser and you don't need anything else, it won't even show the google page, talk about desperate much

Works for me in Sweden. Tried it in Edge using Bing.

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

And just for what it's worth... whenever you go onto google, it'll bring this up. And even if you select "No thanks", the box comes up every time you visit the page.

Google and Microsoft both try to get you to use their browser, and out of both of these, Google's attempt is far more pervasive since it appears on the page every time and before you search for anything - whereas Bing only shows Edge if you search for another web browser.

Allow first party cookies and stop deleting them.

It will only show up once when you do that.

If you do that and it still shows up, then chances are you have one or more addons blocking it.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

edge is a good browser. i'd argue that it's slower than google chrome, but if you dislike google spying on everything you do it's a good browser to use. i don't know if microsoft spying on you is any better, but that's for you to decide. 

Edge is objectively shit in a ton of metrics, and if you want to avoid spying it is just as bad as Chrome.

There is no reason to use it, except maybe touch support (which is only neat if you have a Windows tablet).

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Allow first party cookies and stop deleting them.

It will only show up once when you do that.

If you do that and it still shows up, then chances are you have one or more addons blocking it.

I appreciate the decent suggestions, thanks. However, the only extension I have installed doesn't touch cookies (LastPass), and I do not clear or block cookies on my machine. I obviously don't clear my history or my previous screenshot wouldn't have indicated I had clicked the link already.

If you have any other ideas let me know. It's gotten annoying enough that I do most of my web searching using Bing nowadays.

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

And just for what it's worth... whenever you go onto google, it'll bring this up. And even if you select "No thanks", the box comes up every time you visit the page.

Google and Microsoft both try to get you to use their browser, and out of both of these, Google's attempt is far more pervasive since it appears on the page every time and before you search for anything - whereas Bing only shows Edge if you search for another web browser.

google2.png

You simply have to click ‘no thanks’ and then you’ll never see that message again :-)

Just now, Christophe Corazza said:

You simply have to click ‘no thanks’ and then you’ll never see that message again :-)

The hyperlink is highlighted because I have already clicked it (it's already been visited). 

It's something I've gotten used to ignoring, it just means I use Google services far less than I used to, and I don't wanna derail this thread. Cheers though.

8 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I appreciate the decent suggestions, thanks. However, the only extension I have installed doesn't touch cookies (LastPass), and I do not clear or block cookies on my machine. I obviously don't clear my history or my previous screenshot wouldn't have indicated I had clicked the link already.

If you have any other ideas let me know. It's gotten annoying enough that I do most of my web searching using Bing nowadays.

Do you not use any type of adblocker?

Not sure what to tell you. It remembers that I have clicked no in both Firefox and Edge (just tried it in Edge).

Open the debugging menu (F12).

Select the Debugger tab.

Go to Cookies and view the cookies for Google.com

You should have at least three cookies, called CONSENT, NID and OGP.

These three should be in your browser at all times, even when you close and restart it (without going to Google again).

14 minutes ago, Tabs said:

and I don't wanna derail this thread

This is one of those topics that almost guarenteed ends up in a flame war. xD

Just like NVIDIA-AMD, Apple-Microsoft, Intel-AMD

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Do you not use any type of adblocker?

Not sure what to tell you. It remembers that I have clicked no in both Firefox and Edge (just tried it in Edge).

Open the debugging menu (F12).

Select the Debugger tab.

Go to Cookies and view the cookies for Google.com

You should have at least three cookies, called CONSENT, NID and OGP.

These three should be in your browser at all times, even when you close and restart it (without going to Google again).

Yep, I have all of those - and quite a few others. They remain after a restart, and after clicking "No Thanks" and restarting, it still shows up again. I'm also logged into my Google account right now, which is likely the reason I have so many more cookies.

Even if I had some kind of issue with my cookies (which I can't see), I would have expected Google to remember my choice on my account. 

No adblocker - only extension is LastPass. 

Cheers again.

cookies.png

4 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Yep, I have all of those - and quite a few others. They remain after a restart, and after clicking "No Thanks" and restarting, it still shows up again. I'm also logged into my Google account right now, which is likely the reason I have so many more cookies.

Even if I had some kind of issue with my cookies (which I can't see), I would have expected Google to remember my choice on my account. 

No adblocker - only extension is LastPass. 

Cheers again.

Well I am out of ideas in that case.

Works on my machine (tm).

I can confirm that if you install from 1803 media creation tool just going to google.com will not get you the pop up to install however if you then do any search through google the switch to chrome “yes” button will appear.  Or just search for chrome and download.

I always use edge for Netflix/videos since chrome/ff we’re limited to 720p (not sure if that’s still true) and have 4K, but I don’t use it for anything else

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well I am out of ideas in that case.

Works on my machine (tm).

I appreciate you trying mate. Maybe Google just has it out for me for swapping form Chrome last year.

:)

4 minutes ago, John Ellmaker said:

I can confirm that if you install from 1803 media creation tool just going to google.com will not get you the pop up to install however if you then do any search through google the switch to chrome “yes” button will appear.  Or just search for chrome and download.

I always use edge for Netflix/videos since chrome/ff we’re limited to 720p (not sure if that’s still true) and have 4K, but I don’t use it for anything else

1080P limit, but yes - the UWP Netflix app on Windows 10 and Edge are the only way to use 4k Netflix, and I dislike using UWP apps. It's one of the reasons I made the switch last year once Nvidia got working HEVC drivers for the 1000 series out the door.

3 minutes ago, John Ellmaker said:

It's true.

Chrome actually supports it (and I believe Firefox supports it too), but it's blocked by the DRM and Netflix implementation on purpose.

They only allow "first party" browsers to stream higher than 720p video. If you use Chrome on ChromeOS it will work just fine, since it's considered a first party browser there.