The things that both scare and annoy me in terms of fanboys in hobbies.

InvertedEar

You'll have your AMD vs Nvidia, AMD vs Intel, Android vs IOS, DotA2 vs LoL, Overwatch vs whatever its compared to, Fortnite vs PUBG, MX vs Alps vs Buckling Springs, iOS vs Windows vs Linux, I can keep going. But sometimes the fanboys, not to be compared to actual fans (because a fanboy is more of a fanatic or basically like jingos except instead of nationalism or patriotism for a country and its policies, its more on the brand/platform/basically a product or a service, while a fan supports it but still has sense of objectivity and criticism in hopes that who/what they support would improve on... ofcourse, within reason), holy hell, need to chill.

Look, I get it, and so many people get it, you like/love the products coming out of the company, but you're doing no one a favor and may even inspire the company behind the product to slack off.

Alot of the times, I see this mostly in the audiophile community, which I think has worse fanboys than AMD vs Intel/Nvidia, where they even insult your taste and your hearing ability because apparently you can't differentiate or appreciate formats and what not, or prefer a different sound signature that can be even diametrically opposite from the other... and it doesn't help that they rarely ever really properly construct their criticism. Heck, there have been discords I got kicked out off due to just sheer opposite opinions with mods in terms of what sounds which and what not.

When it comes to AMD vs Intel/Nvidia, honestly, it became more tame in the CPU side because I think the market's happy that they're both pushing each other and what not, but sometimes the GPU side is still the same-old-crap. Some even go as low as to bring graphs in which an RX460 or RX560 or even the GT1030 is the best price-to-performance GPU... I mean, for not that much more (or for much more depending on games, resolution, and frame rate), you can get a better performing card that will really outperform them from either brand, or you can get something of the same price as those in the second-hand market (Heck, I got a GTX 780 6gb version for $100 and performs as spec, and that was kind of before the mining craze started to really hurt the GPU market, and it outperforms those).

When it came to games, apart from my immense hate of Blizzard's balancing and methods in dealing with trolls/griefers (because the way the game's designed, you can really feel helpless like a support in a MOBA if you have an ES who blocks you on purpose or a Tiny who tosses you to the enemy team when you really just want to run away due to low health, in terms of helplessness... yes, they will be in every game regardless of game, but that doesn't mean the devs [restaurant] should allow throwers/griefers [customers who feel like spitting at another customer's food from a different table] loose), play what you want and enjoy it. If you feel like belittling another game and its fandom, I question your priority in life much like mine as I make this thread (because I think this has been made over and over again by different people but worded differently and in different platforms).

Ironically, I feel this the least in the mechanical keyboard community apart from Cherry fanboys... who'd end up suddenly converting to lesser known switches because, honestly, Cherry's switches in terms of QC and just sheer quality, have gone down. The design has been borrowed/copied/modified. Heck, this is arguably the most respectful community in terms of comparison. If anything, its more of we just expose people to other switches from Kailh, Gateron, Zeal, and so on to even Topre, Alps, Buckling Springs, and Beam Springs. Heck, some people still argue that all you need are browns and be done with it, but it still depends because you can even go the cheaper route and sometimes land a deal on an IBM Model M for less than some of the cheapest mechanical keyboards and just restore it yourself. One thing's for sure, we mostly hate membrane (Topre doesn't count). Atleast we agree on something.

37 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

Heck, there have been discords I got kicked out off due to just sheer opposite opinions with mods in terms of what sounds which and what not.

Did you call them fanboys when they didn't agree with you? :P

11 minutes ago, tatte said:

Did you call them fanboys when they didn't agree with you? :P

I called them fanboys for not being objective. Heck, I love AMD, don't get me wrong (I even went to go as far as going with a Vega56, knowing it barely beats a 1070... much like the Vega 64), but even I think they can improve on a fair lot of things. And yeah, I even argued (and at some point, still arguing with a few on Discord and another forum) with AMD fanboys. Heck, some of my arguments with them started with with the RX460 and RX560 debacle... like, they can get better ones from the used market.

Imo the worst fanboy war is Apple vs people not liking Apple. Or rather the constant mentality of "everything apple does is the worst thing ever!!" 

If Apple cured cancer, ended poverty and world hunger and achieved world peace in one week some people will still find something to hate... 

I've got a rx480 and enjoyed it (best card performance/price @ Msrp ) (till I enslaved to the mines)
I've got a 1070 and I enjoyed more than the rx480

I enjoyed both amd and nvidia cards, they have pros and cons but amd vs intel & amd vs nvidia benefits customers .

I'm 28 and since 14 or less I allways have hate against apple (0 sense paying more for same components and a debian++) 

So I dont like fanboys but I'm on the apple hater side (as a sane person :D

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

12 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Imo the worst fanboy war is Apple vs people not liking Apple. Or rather the constant mentality of "everything apple does is the worst thing ever!!" 

If Apple cured cancer, ended poverty and world hunger and achieved world peace in one week some people will still find something to hate... 

I don't know, man. Audiophile fanboys are harsher than them, and they pretty much go against almost anyone. Its almost like a multi-sided war with varying sizes of armies.

2 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

I've got a rx480 and enjoyed it (best card performance/price @ Msrp ) (till I enslaved to the mines)
I've got a 1070 and I enjoyed more than the rx480

I enjoyed both amd and nvidia cards, they have pros and cons but amd vs intel & amd vs nvidia benefits customers .

I'm 28 and since 14 or less I allways have hate against apple (0 sense paying more for same components and a debian++) 

So I dont like fanboys but I'm on the apple hater side (as a sane person :D

Wel, either way, I'm more on customers getting the benefit of what they can get for what they pay for.

3 hours ago, InvertedEar said:

I don't know, man. Audiophile fanboys are harsher than them, and they pretty much go against almost anyone. Its almost like a multi-sided war with varying sizes of armies.

I don't think they're fanboys much less than people who think they know what they're talking about but haven't really dove deep in to the actual sciences of psychoacoustics. A performer need not necessarily by a technician.

I'm skeptical anyway because a lot of audio is basically what you want to hear. Misheard lyrics, yanny vs. laurel, etc.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

22 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't think they're fanboys much less than people who think they know what they're talking about but haven't really dove deep in to the actual sciences of psychoacoustics. A performer need not necessarily by a technician.

I'm skeptical anyway because a lot of audio is basically what you want to hear. Misheard lyrics, yanny vs. laurel, etc.

The reason why I think the Audiophile fanboys are both annoying and sometimes a bit scary (by that I mean it scares me to see the cult-like fanaticism they end up having... its like giving me an idea what the crusades may look like) is that when they say something's bad, half the time their explanation is vague on why they think its bad and what not, but disagree with them and they end up half the time be very specific with their explanation on why "you're wrong/you have bad ears/you're stupid" and what not... atleast in comparison to other ____ vs ____ fanboy war. I can go on and on about audio sounding different to people's ears because, well, science, and just because you can be taught to hear frequencies as to what they are, it doesn't mean you have to like them as preferences, and there are times even measurements can be wrong (simply because testing methodologies themselves can have mistakes in them from time to time, which is why certain headphones can sometimes sound not as close to multiple frequency response graphs from different testers... despite that it rarely happens, it happens, which is why the "listen to it yourself" argument is valid at the end of the day).

38 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

The reason why I think the Audiophile fanboys are both annoying and sometimes a bit scary (by that I mean it scares me to see the cult-like fanaticism they end up having... its like giving me an idea what the crusades may look like) is that when they say something's bad, half the time their explanation is vague on why they think its bad and what not, but disagree with them and they end up half the time be very specific with their explanation on why "you're wrong/you have bad ears/you're stupid" and what not... atleast in comparison to other ____ vs ____ fanboy war. I can go on and on about audio sounding different to people's ears because, well, science, and just because you can be taught to hear frequencies as to what they are, it doesn't mean you have to like them as preferences, and there are times even measurements can be wrong (simply because testing methodologies themselves can have mistakes in them from time to time, which is why certain headphones can sometimes sound not as close to multiple frequency response graphs from different testers... despite that it rarely happens, it happens, which is why the "listen to it yourself" argument is valid at the end of the day).

That reminds me of a story at the last place I worked at. They were working out a kink with their speakers on a product because it sounded muffled. They thought they had the sizing of the holes right, but realized they sized them for the wrong expected frequency being played. I forget what it was, but I'm guessing they assumed 20KHz (because you know, upper limit of human hearing and all) when in reality the audio was playing back at telephone quality (so like 8KHz?). Once they resized the holes, the audio sounded much clearer. And the sizing wasn't really that drastic of a change.

But after talking to some people who actually create audio content, albeit as a hobby, they said generally the composition is much more important than how good the equipment is. After all they're not really working with thousands of dollars of equipment or anything professional grade (maybe except a guitar amp or something). If you let your hobby be held back by something like that, you're probably looking at it wrong.

EDIT: I feel like my experiences up to trying to enjoy "higher-end" things has led up to this conclusion: I know what "crap" is, but I'm not going to let that bother me. Like in these cases:

• I bought a pair of cheapo "open" earbuds for work because my requirements for what I wanted at work outweighed my desire to enjoy my music at the highest quality (i.e., I needed something other than office silence but I didn't want to lose the ability to be aware of my surroundings)
  • I've eaten at a lot of ramen joints and ramen in the US is seen as the quintessential poor college kid food due to many people experiencing it only through Maruchan and Top Ramen instant ramen. So I understand that stuff is crap, but that doesn't deter me from getting instant ramen anyway (though I tend to prefer stuff from the Japanese market because I at least want something resembling quality :P )

In other words, I feel there's a time and place for cheap things. It's when someone is trying to pass it off as better quality that I take issue.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That reminds me of a story at the last place I worked at. They were working out a kink with their speakers on a product because it sounded muffled. They thought they had the sizing of the holes right, but realized they sized them for the wrong expected frequency being played. I forget what it was, but I'm guessing they assumed 20KHz (because you know, upper limit of human hearing and all) when in reality the audio was playing back at telephone quality (so like 8KHz?). Once they resized the holes, the audio sounded much clearer. And the sizing wasn't really that drastic of a change.

But after talking to some people who actually create audio content, albeit as a hobby, they said generally the composition is much more important than how good the equipment is. After all they're not really working with thousands of dollars of equipment or anything professional grade (maybe except a guitar amp or something). If you let your hobby be held back by something like that, you're probably looking at it wrong.

Pretty much. I'm still in to audio (listening and sometimes mixing and recording), I prefer to EQ to add-in frequencies when I feel like it than to fix it (because if a headphone has a flaw such as sibilance, peak at certain frequencies, so on and so forth, I'd rather mod than EQ to my liking, because there are tracks I feel would sound more appealing to me if I EQ'd for those tracks than have them completely sound potentially worse to my ears if I EQ to fix and then add more on to something else). I still game and just go for which one I believe will give me the most satisfactory performance (yes, I know, the Vega56 is barely faster than a 1070, but I like freesync and I think the performance is good enough).

Its just that sometimes when you ask questions for the sake of troubleshooting or what its like (by that, I mean I can't try the unit, so I ask for as many opinions as possible about it), it has to go through so much tangents before getting an answer. Like, holy heck, I was just asking about _____ because I'm interested in what its like to use or I'm asking about ______ because that's what I have but I don't know how to fix it and Google search is being unhelpful even after 10 pages and several hundred tabs and alot of ctrl+f's. Like, sometimes, when you're in a hobby, and you love it, but you come across something, you end up looking to other hobbyists of the same kind/s. Its just that, over time, more and more hobbyists tend to end up being more of a prick, based on my observation over the last few years.

And regarding your edit, yeah, there's a time and place for cheap things. But sometimes what's overlooked is that sometimes the cheap things can give you more value and quality than even some or alot of things that cost twice or even more than how much they are. Sure, paying more can get you more, but sometimes you can get more for the same price (or less), and even better quality if you end up looking hard enough or got lucky and stumbled upon it. I mean, I got a pair of HD600's for as low as $120. 

Preach, man.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

20 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

Like, sometimes, when you're in a hobby, and you love it, but you come across something, you end up looking to other hobbyists of the same kind/s. Its just that, over time, more and more hobbyists tend to end up being more of a prick, based on my observation over the last few years.

I've found the problem a bit more that too many people assume you're an idiot and so they think it's their prerogative to infodump on you when you didn't ask for it. But I think that's because there really isn't anyone to check on them.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I've found the problem a bit more that too many people assume you're an idiot and so they think it's their prerogative to infodump on you when you didn't ask for it. But I think that's because there really isn't anyone to check on them.

Half the time, based on my experience, the info dump is filled with insults. Like, I still try my hardest to separate insults and actual information, but really... goddamnit, he can't get straight to the point or use the extra time to replace insults with information. But yeah, there's almost not enough fact-checking or information exposed frequently enough on certain aspects in hobbies that misinformation or just straight up lack of knowledge in them is rather abundant. Like, there was a time I was literally asking what kind of amp does the HE-4 need, and for a few weeks because there were too many answers, as well as too many people just saying "sell the HE-4 instead if you can't power them" or vague answers like "it takes a nuclear powerplant", it was then I suddenly just got directed to other forums from other people who can properly explain what it takes to power them (I don't mind hour long lectures provided its just info).

43 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I've eaten at a lot of ramen joints and ramen in the US is seen as the quintessential poor college kid food due to many people experiencing it only through Maruchan and Top Ramen instant ramen. So I understand that stuff is crap, but that doesn't deter me from getting instant ramen anyway (though I tend to prefer stuff from the Japanese market because I at least want something resembling quality :P )

If you can find a Korean store, the ramen there is really good.

4 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

Half the time, based on my experience, the info dump is filled with insults. Like, I still try my hardest to separate insults and actual information, but really... goddamnit, he can't get straight to the point or use the extra time to replace insults with information. But yeah, there's almost not enough fact-checking or information exposed frequently enough on certain aspects in hobbies that misinformation or just straight up lack of knowledge in them is rather abundant.

This is true for a lot of people on the losing side of an argument.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you can find a Korean store, the ramen there is really good.

This is true for a lot of people on the losing side of an argument.

Well, to be fair, I feel like losing my sanity everytime I ask info about ________ because I have it but I want to fix it, get the most out of it, etc... and then my answers go along the lines of:

1.) Are you retarded?

2.) You're stupid for getting them

3.) Google it (even though I have... and I'm already passed 10 pages, a few hundred tabs, and alot of searching via ctrl+f'ing the damn thing)

Before getting an answer. Heck, an "I don't know" is helpful compared to those three I listed (and its not even limited to that).

Even asking out of interest because I can't demo/try them gets into similar levels of that.

17 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

Half the time, based on my experience, the info dump is filled with insults. Like, I still try my hardest to separate insults and actual information, but really... goddamnit, he can't get straight to the point or use the extra time to replace insults with information. But yeah, there's almost not enough fact-checking or information exposed frequently enough on certain aspects in hobbies that misinformation or just straight up lack of knowledge in them is rather abundant.

I also lamented to someone else, and maybe this is hypocritical to what I said earlier, but say the topic is OP asking a question and you answer it. Then people who think they know better quote you to correct you rather than simply provide a better (I use the term loosely) answer to the OP.

I've come to learn that "correcting" people like this is actually pretty rude. I mean, if I don't like it done to me, then why should I do it to others? Just answer OP's question.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I also lamented to someone else, and maybe this is hypocritical to what I said earlier, but say the topic is OP asking a question and you answer it. Then people who think they know better quote you to correct you rather than simply provide a better (I use the term loosely) answer to the OP.

I've come to learn that "correcting" people like this is actually pretty rude. I mean, if I don't like it done to me, then why should I do it to others? Just answer OP's question.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I mean, holy heck, I'm guilty of it, too. Like, I would disagree with someone else's answer to an OP because I think the OP can use a better answer whenever I think I can provide a better answer, and I don't mind being in a constructive argument.