Pubg sues fortnite

6 hours ago, Mooshi said:

2) Would love to see the rights to use Unreal Engine revoked in response.

Epic will probably countersue for damages, what a salty snowflake Greene is. 

Kinda interesting the company is called Bluehole.

First: they sound more green with envy.

Second: they missed the 'ass' in the middle of the name.

Right, because they invented BR and such type of gameplay they have and nothing their game haves wasn't on games prior it, sure... 

Would be funny to see Epic Games revokes UE access to them. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is hilarious!

PUBG Corp should start selling salt, they seem to be producing metric tons of them xD

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

In other news, id software sues everyone ever.

Not before William Higinbotham comes back from the dead to sue them.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

My two cents:

PUBG was never optimized for multiple platforms, while Fortnite in a matter of weeks was already X-mixing players from all platforms. PUBG if it was the first it was never the last, it helped cement the foundation of the BR genre, Marketing dept from Epic is just better, even the sub reddit from fortnite has Staff listening to the audience 24/7. Overall Epic did a better job at giving to the people what they want and that is what ultimately sank PUBG who never listened to all that we. the players, had to say. 

wasnt the whole koth battle royale thing in H1Z1 Also so maybe Daybreak should sue pubG

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

14 minutes ago, Darkmaster29 said:

Overall Epic did a better job at giving to the people what they want and that is what ultimately sank PUBG who never listened to all that we. the players, had to say.

Basically, PUBG devs got too greedy for their own good and decided to milk the absolute crap out of it and even threatening litigation against other BR games they deem to be "imitations", while seemingly turning a deaf ear towards community requests and critique.

If PUBG falls, then they deserve it. They had a shot of being a trend that would last for years, like CS:GO and others, but instead of continuing to support the game by fixing its issues, optimizing the servers plus netcode along with implementing community requested features, they decided to follow the money and basically became an indie-version of EA and Activision combined, while also sometimes one-upping both of them.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Exactly, "we're mad that you're doing better!  We have 0 grounds to sue therefore we're suing you for reasons!"

That's indeed what it is.

I can't see it as anything other than Bluehole shooting themselves in the foot and getting fucked over by their own short-sightedness from their sheer greed, especially since the developers of Fortnite. Epic, also develops the Unreal Engine, the core engine that powers PUBG.

Suing the developers of an engine that you got a license for pretty much almost guarantees that you'll probably end up on some sort of naughty list

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

There's plenty of folk justifying the lawsuit. While ultimately, it'd be nice to have a videogame specific precedent (if we don't already have one that is) that says 'No you can't really sue for copycats, only direct infringement' you guys don't seem to realize how often this happens.

I'll give you an example: One of my favorite TV shows it's kind of a guilty pleasure: Law & Order. This show goes waaaay back to a time where many of you were either toddlers or not born. The show was very successful and his producer, Dick Wolf decided to create spin-off shows himself with the now hit and on-going show Law & Order: SVU and the far better but acquired taste version Law & Order: Criminal Intent (Seriously Vincent D'Onofrio fucking rules and replacing him with Jeff Goldblum was kind of genius but I digress)

This is such a common practice now that later on, another hit show CSI decided to almost immediately launch it's spin off show CSI: Miami and this time the producers of the show stated they did so specifically because they knew they had a very successful formula that was fresh so they anticipated they would have copycat shows so they just decided to do those copy shows themselves the very next year after the initial season and then the New York show as a third just 4 years into the original show.

You see when you create something rather innovative it can create a brand new market. The entertainment history has so much experience with this that they can actually anticipate this and try to get ahead of the increased demand before competitors try to saturate the market and wrestle control away.

They realize this is a much more effective and profitable way to deal with the problem of copycats than just suing and waiting years and years for a resolution. They also realize that if they already have the success of the first show and the momentum they've got to utilize it.

This are lessons that guys like Activision, Ubi or EA already know but that indie devs looking at the success of PUBG need to learn: you need to be ready to either very rapidly expand and capitalize on the success of your release or to be happy with the more moderate success and just use it not as a direct push for a new market but as a launching platform for future endevours.

Suing is a big boys move and honestly PlayerUnknown isn't big enough but could manage the other trick and saturate the market himself.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Problem is that PUBG didn't create this style, they didn't create the shooter, they didn't create video games, they didn't innovate shit, and they're suing the company that they are licensed to use sw to run and make their own damn game.   It's not a copycat of anything they own, and they're just as guilty of copying quite a few others. 

Indeed, they didn't create anything, but they did re-popularize it.

But instead of capitalizing on that newfound glory, they decided to be asshats about it

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Did they, though?  It was just a mod and copycat of Dayz.

Well, to my eyes, yeah. Everyone in my circles doesn't stop talking about it and Battle Royale became a trend after.

With all that said, I wish people wouldn't equate BR to just PUBG.

23 minutes ago, Eroda said:

wasnt the whole koth battle royale thing in H1Z1 Also so maybe Daybreak should sue pubG

The person that started the Battle royale mode for H1Z1 is the person that made pubg, why would he sue himself?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Problem is that PUBG didn't create this style, they didn't create the shooter, they didn't create video games, they didn't innovate shit, and they're suing the company that they are licensed to use sw to run and make their own damn game.   It's not a copycat of anything they own, and they're just as guilty of copying quite a few others. 

CSI didn't create the cop drama either. In fact about the only thing new it did with it was "Focusing" (a.k.a. misrepresenting) on the crime scene lab and that drama.

But yes: this goes to show that my proposed strategy would work far better than a petty lawsuit that will get them nowhere. The problem is that PUBG was developed as an indie game and it shows: they had no plan to follow it up quickly and efficiently.

Say what you want about AAA Publishers but they're making as much money as they make today because they do foresee every new franchise as a potential long stream of sequels or otherwise copycat games to keep themselves locked to that genre.

Truth to be told just about anybody could do what Battlefield or specially CoD do but nobody has their success and brand to do it yearly so they basically have build niches of their style not via lawsuits because they also did nothing new themselves aside from combining a few aspects that existed elsewhere but they capitalized on it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Battle Royale game battle royale!

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm just going to die of laughter when this gets thrown out of court.  This would be like Valve suing id for making an FPS.  Cuz Valve not only used an engine that John Carmack made, but id also had a massive impact on the shooter genre.

It probably might

Or Bluehole gets smacked with utter humiliation

31 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

5)  Are tickets to this lawsuit available?  I need to see more comedies.

No it'll be on Netflix, then they'll sue Netflix for it.

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering how distinct Fortnite is from PUBG (which isn't that distinct from the majority of FPS). This probably won't go anywhere.

Only way i see this going in pubgs Favor is if they can prove that Unreal when helping PUBG make there game with there tools and getting a first hands on experiance with the game then decided to rip it off using info they only had due to confidential info. I mean they did rip a good amount off but if it was developed after its not enough to matter legally. 

I am getting sick of lawsuits. 

If someone copies you and it does that much better, too fucking bad. Its survival of the fittest.

Whats to stop epic from just saying they cant use their engine no more?

47 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Even that's a stretch since he was modding DayZ and H1Z1.

i wouldnt say so. THey paid and gave money to Epic who then helped and got involved in making PUBG. If they used this Info and insight as reason and benefit from the relation ship into making fortnight and somehow its provable its a pretty decent chance they get something. From what i read this is more so on the Advertising side when EPIC/ Fortnight used PUBG name to advertise without permission. 

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

PUBG was arguing that they created the Battle Royale, and that's what they were suing over.

The article linked in the OP post Even notes. what there suing for is unknown right now its all speculation. 

"The report does not mention any specific claims in lawsuit"

22 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

This is an ongoing feud though, and PUBG has been making claims out the ass about how they made battle royales and what not.  It's pretty clear that what they're suing about.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/pubg-creators-sue-epic-games-over-fortnite-battle-royale-mode/ar-AAxYFDb

Its pretty unclear What they are suing for these documents have not been released. This Article doesnt show any statement by PUBG Corp but is the first to directly claim that they said it. 

This is just based on viewpoint. If you like PUBG then you think they copied Fornite. It just based on point of view. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

2 hours ago, Cole5 said:

Whats to stop epic from just saying they cant use their engine no more?

Nothing unless they have their own contract with BlueHole, look at Epic vs Silicon Knights although as a good basis. Epic can counter sue and revoke the license from Bluehole and end their game. Unless Bluehole find a engine immediately.