best way to remove thermal GLUE not paste

Nogghan

i want to remove some heatsinks i thermal glued to my GPU to put on an aftermarket cooler so that i can place the stock cooler back on 

there are 4 on the memory chips and 3 on the VR are they just stuck there? maybe alcohol? break cleaner? idk

Acetone is the only thing I've heard recommended for removal of thermal adhesive, but if the heatsink is already applied it'll be hard to get the acetone/solvent in contact with it to actually remove it.

I basically just resigned myself to believing that when I get rid of my GPU with my aftermarket heatsink on it, it's gonna have to be sold as-is. For me at least, it wouldn't be worth the risk of breaking off a memory chip trying to remove the ram sinks.

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Acetone is the only thing I've heard recommended for removal of thermal adhesive, but if the heatsink is already applied it'll be hard to get the acetone/solvent in contact with it to actually remove it.

I basically just resigned myself to believing that when I get rid of my GPU with my aftermarket heatsink on it, it's gonna have to be sold as-is. For me at least, it wouldn't be worth the risk of breaking off a memory chip trying to remove the ram sinks.

yeah i was thinking that my self, idk why i even put heatsinks on the board at all there werent even thermal pads touching those places before so in hindsight its pointless anyways