Bioware faces fierce backlash after a developer (now fired) mocks TotalBiscuit's death

ItsMitch
1 minute ago, shermantanker said:

I personally think a big reason for his blowup was the whole repeal of Obamacare thing. And will him fighting cancer he was rather scared what that could/would mean for him with the whole insurance market being uprooted.

Indeed, from what Genna posted in 2016, treatment was EXPENSIVE, let me just show you a picture

CymavrsXgAAFfEO.jpg

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

Yeah, the whole 2016 politics thing kinda went tits up and his wife took a lot of heat from it, he was not a fan of Trump at all and he was very vocal about it. 

Can’t say I blame him for it. Trump was (is) a very polarising personality after all. 

How to never get hired again; twitter edition.

From the quotes it looks like that guy is a left wing extremist that had some beef with TB.

4 hours ago, Rune said:

Don't forget the second bioware dev (actively working on anthem) trying to defend him, also now deleted: https://archive.fo/XCqUR

4 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

What the fuck

What the second dev said isn't bad logic tho.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

4 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

What a disgrace. John certainly had his failings but to mock his death is a move that lacks any semblance of dignity.

and it's also the most base thing a human being can do to another who's family and friends are suffering.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

How is this anything to do with Bioware at all? He's a ex employee, doesn't work for them.

It's not exactly clear but did he get fired for the tweets or had he left before them?

According to his LinkedIn page he is "presently" working at Bioware. His firing was recent enough that he hasn't updated his job status. His twitter profile also said that he was working for Bioware before he modified it. I think he was seen as a current employee up until Casey Hudson's tweet. 

i'm sure these dude wasn't the first to celebrate a death, and not the only to celebrate this particular death being a critic and a celebrity. The bioware dev just has turrets i guess, most would keep it for themselves.

Human nature folks, nothing to see here.

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

except a small reminder to remember the human

to be fair, if you have to point out to an adult that celebrating in public a death for those reasons, and more a death like that (for anyone who knows cancer and what it does) is wrong, then probably it's a waste of time pointing it out. :(

I mean the dude didn't even cared about loosing is job over it, and his a absolute idiot or he should have just see it coming.

From what I've seen and heard TotalBiscuit was totally right about over monetization of games.

Making people pay for half completed games. Pay twice or thrice for simple add-ons that should of been in the base game.

I agree. Totally. It's killing games.

I got burned with Dawn of War III collectors edition.

Disgrace of a game.

Batman Arkham Knight. Bad port. Disgrace.

Etc etc.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

Look, you can like or dislike TB and his opinions. That's fine.

But mocking someone just after his death is absurd.

He died of cancer at age 33. Basically, he died young.

I would never wish a death like that even to my worst enemy.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

if you're the one dying then that seems reasonable to go out flipping people off if you so choose, but otherwise the dead cant hear you mock'em and you only end up fucking yourself over in your life that goes on.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Any possibility he's one of the reasons Andromeda sucked so much?

29 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

But mocking someone just after his death is absurd.

Well no, mocking a murderer immediately after their death is perfectly acceptable. So Hitler, Saddam Hussein, and Ted Kennedy were all viable candidates at the moment of their demise. TB is being mocked because of nothing more than a difference of opinion.

7 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

Any possibility he's one of the reasons Andromeda sucked so much?

Honestly that was my first thought with that "white privilege" comment.  Admittedly everything regarding Andromeda I've heard at the rumor stage so IDK how much actually holds truth.

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

TB is being mocked because of nothing more than a difference of opinion.

That's the issue I have with the statement.

Why go so far as to mock someone just after their death just because you disagree with his opinion? He never harmed you nor threatened such acts.

You can disagree and make a rebuttal stating why you feel that he is wrong in your view. But mocking a death of someone who is one of the most heavily respected individuals in gaming? Pathetic. Only tells me that the person is insecure

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Hmmm, i can understand the guy hating a critic, but to openly bash on the guy's death in the open net is such bad taste.

You underestimate it i think. This is way more than just bad tastes. Its a new record-low in spinelessness and it signals a total absence of ethics....

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You underestimate it i think. This is way more than just bad tastes. Its a new record-low in spinelessness and it signals a total absence of ethics....

Na, you just never seen worse

4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Well no, mocking a murderer immediately after their death is perfectly acceptable. So Hitler, Saddam Hussein, and Ted Kennedy were all viable candidates at the moment of their demise. TB is being mocked because of nothing more than a difference of opinion.

Comparing TB to Hitler, Saddam Hussein lol

4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

mocking the dead says more about you than the dead, no matter what they've done. It's not even for them, they are dead so they don't care, but they have family that most of the times have nothing to do with these people being idiots (i'm not specifically talking about no one) but they are still family. Imagine a small child, a son or daughter

Free speech > feelings. Not defending what he said, but his right to say it must be. Remember it works both ways, we have the right to do call him out.  Although what he said was awful, he didn't insight violence. Bioware have the right to fire him, since it's very bad PR but that is as far as it should go. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

10 hours ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Honestly that was my first thought with that "white privilege" comment.  Admittedly everything regarding Andromeda I've heard at the rumor stage so IDK how much actually holds truth.

All I can say about Andromeda is the only desirable romance option was a female Turian, and all Turians look the same, and then it was fade to black

5 hours ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Its not about "he can't do it", its about "he shouldn't do it", freedom of speech and being a decent human being are two different things.

Exactly, and free speech gives us the right to tell him how horrible he is. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Fired for giving your opinion is not really a fair thing to do in my opinion. I'm not going to look into the specifics of it..... however the guy is dead.... he doesn't care what someone is going to say about him now. It's like if a tree falls in the forest, do you hear it.... no....

Way too PC now a days.  If someone wants to rag on me when I'm dead, go right ahead.

One guy's opinion should not get him fired. I'm sure he could have worded it a bit different but... good lord and man should not lose his job over a youtuber.... The guy sat in his home making videos. He didn't saved people from burning buildings.

9 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

however the guy is dead.... he doesn't care what someone is going to say about him now.

So the guy who just died, his family that's in immence mourning over his death, you don't think they care about what people are saying? What a shitty overview. 

He was pretty tasteless but his beef, at least in his opinion, seems expansive and well founded.

The only thing I really dislike about this situation is basically the characterization of Cancer as some sort of cosmic, all present evil that must be denounced at all cost and basically cannot be talked about, to the point of being a defense for arguments against persons who had it in an of itself: "Hey you know, TB was an awful person for a,b,c,d,e,f,g reasons" - "Dude...he died of CANCER you can't say that, I don't need to bother to address a-g at all because he died of Cancer"

People die of plenty of diseases, in fact statistically far more common diseases like treatable infections and viruses but Cancer is the one thing still affects Western people without infallible treatment so that gets far more attention and sympathy.

-------

Current Rig

-------