Razer Blade 2018 Classic Unboxing

@LinusTech I hope you realize that Razer sends special hand picked units to reviewers. People who actually buy Blades have all kinds of major issues with them, anything from heat, screens dying, screws falling out, and more. Look at all the Blades you bought for your employees and how many have issues. I know you said that bad ones sometimes make it through, but no product would ever have QC that bad where half of them would die. I really think you should evaluate your decision before you start reviewing and recommending Razer laptops. I think you should refuse to use the review samples in your reviews and instead buy your own. I know this will cost you money, but I hope you have strong enough morals where spending a little bit of money to fairly check out a product if worth it to not have your viewers get screwed by buying a bad product. I bought a Blade Stealth based upon your recommendation and it is one of the worst purchases I've ever made. The CPU hits 100C under any load type, the screws fall out and have to be re-tightened every few days, it crashes all the time, and I get 3-4 hours of battery life doing simple web browsing on a good day using battery saver mode, 50% screen brightness, and no excessive programs running in the background. I contacted Razer about my issues and they told me that 100C temperature is perfectly normal on the CPU because Intel's spec page says that the max temp is 100C. I told them that 100C is the death point and a CPU should not be hitting that while installing an application. And on top of that because of that high temp I only get about half boost clock because the CPU is throttling so hard. They said those temps were fine and they refused to do anything about it. And for the battery life, whatever battery number they claimed they said it was "up to" so my mileage my vary. And I get that, but 3-4 hours is WAY under what they claimed and it out of the realm of the normal difference between claimed and actual battery life, and they also refused to do anything about that. Linus, you need to call out Razer on their horrible quality and customer support, and being deceiving by sending reviewers like yourself special units in order to trick people into buying their products because someone like you gave them a great review which is not representative of the actual product. I know my issues are not unique, I have seen dozens of forums posts from other people who have had the exact same problems with their Blades and Blade Stealths, the problem is not exclusive to me alone.

Is that a real tattoo?

Asus P8Z68-V # Intel i7-2600k # CM 212+ # Asus GTX680 # 4x8GB A-Data Premiere Pro # 1TB + 3TB Seagate SATAIII 64MB # A-DATA SSD S511 60GB SATAIII # Corsair TX-850 850W # Thermaltake Spacecraft

I was suprised that linus wasn't thrilled that the laptop was thicker. This unnecessary trend to make all devices slimmer and smaller has ruined the usefulness of so many devices. Praise it for being thicker! It will run cooler, have more ports, and be easier to work on. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

@LinusTech I hope you realize that Razer sends special hand picked units to reviewers. People who actually buy Blades have all kinds of major issues with them, anything from heat, screens dying, screws falling out, and more. Look at all the Blades you bought for your employees and how many have issues. I know you said that bad ones sometimes make it through, but no product would ever have QC that bad where half of them would die. I really think you should evaluate your decision before you start reviewing and recommending Razer laptops. I think you should refuse to use the review samples in your reviews and instead buy your own. I know this will cost you money, but I hope you have strong enough morals where spending a little bit of money to fairly check out a product if worth it to not have your viewers get screwed by buying a bad product. I bought a Blade Stealth based upon your recommendation and it is one of the worst purchases I've ever made. The CPU hits 100C under any load type, the screws fall out and have to be re-tightened every few days, it crashes all the time, and I get 3-4 hours of battery life doing simple web browsing on a good day using battery saver mode, 50% screen brightness, and no excessive programs running in the background. I contacted Razer about my issues and they told me that 100C temperature is perfectly normal on the CPU because Intel's spec page says that the max temp is 100C. I told them that 100C is the death point and a CPU should not be hitting that while installing an application. And on top of that because of that high temp I only get about half boost clock because the CPU is throttling so hard. They said those temps were fine and they refused to do anything about it. And for the battery life, whatever battery number they claimed they said it was "up to" so my mileage my vary. And I get that, but 3-4 hours is WAY under what they claimed and it out of the realm of the normal difference between claimed and actual battery life, and they also refused to do anything about that. Linus, you need to call out Razer on their horrible quality and customer support, and being deceiving by sending reviewers like yourself special units in order to trick people into buying their products because someone like you gave them a great review which is not representative of the actual product. I know my issues are not unique, I have seen dozens of forums posts from other people who have had the exact same problems with their Blades and Blade Stealths, the problem is not exclusive to me alone.

What a rant! :-O

But seriously though... I do not own a Razer product, so I don’t have personal experience to add to the discussion. However, I do come across an abnormal/unusual amount of people complaining about their Blade and Blade Stealth. Not only on the LTT forum but on several other forums/websites as well.

So is there cherry picking involved? Difficult to tell and - if true - even more difficult to prove.

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

We've called them out on the inconsistencies of past Blades in other videos:

RE: battery life, AFAIK most manufacturers provide misleading scores. I'm sure we'll make some mention of claim vs actual in our full review - as Linus said in the video this is just an unboxing/first look.

Totally hear you on the frustration of dealing with their support, but look up support for pretty much any laptop maker these days - ASUS, MSI, etc... and you'll find horror stories from all sides, and while we certainly don't support poor customer interaction, it's not something that we can comfortably comment on from our stance as we don't see that world first-hand.

3 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

So is there cherry picking involved? Difficult to tell and - if true - even more difficult to prove.

That's always the struggle - without a smoking gun, accusations about cherry picking for review samples are just that, accusations. It's impossible for us to say one way or the other - the only people that truly know the answer are within the organizations themselves.

We'd always like to believe that everyone plays fair, but I'm sure that there are some companies, in some industries, that don't. At this time we are in absolutely no position to comment one way or the other with certainty.

Oh you all know they cherry pick their products to send out for review.

52 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

RE: battery life, AFAIK most manufacturers provide misleading scores. I'm sure we'll make some mention of claim vs actual in our full review - as Linus said in the video this is just an unboxing/first look.

Totally hear you on the frustration of dealing with their support, but look up support for pretty much any laptop maker these days - ASUS, MSI, etc... and you'll find horror stories from all sides, and while we certainly don't support poor customer interaction, it's not something that we can comfortably comment on from our stance as we don't see that world first-hand.

Then I challenge you when you review the Blade 15, buy one yourself and compare it against your review sample. If they massively differ you need to call out Razer and don’t reccomend them to your audience.

28 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Then I challenge you when you review the Blade 15, buy one yourself and compare it against your review sample. If they massively differ you need to call out Razer and don’t reccomend them to your audience.

We've taken that angle with other categories. As a review outlet there's no way for us to win in this conversation.

Just read through the comments on this video. Either we're "complacent in manufacturers misleading the community" or we're making claims without a sample size of 1,000+ meaning that we have no right to say anything.

56 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We've taken that angle with other categories. As a review outlet there's no way for us to win in this conversation.

Just read through the comments on this video. Either we're "complacent in manufacturers misleading the community" or we're making claims without a sample size of 1,000+ meaning that we have no right to say anything.

Understandable, but any product with decent QC, 1 out of every few thousand should have major issues. As you saw in the video when you called out the Blade issues over half of yours died. That is unheard of in the world of computers, especially with $1500+ laptops. No product under any circumstances should have a 50% failure rate. I would argue that your sample size in that was large enough because the chances that you got that many defective units by sheer luck if the product did have respectable QC and general build quality is virtually impossible.

8 hours ago, vslavov said:

Is that a real tattoo?

I really want to know too! I didn't see any confirmations in the YouTube comments or threads here about it.

I would think he'd mention it, whether real or fake, unless there's a vlog somewhere I missed.

21 minutes ago, TheSacredM said:

I really want to know too! I didn't see any confirmations in the YouTube comments or threads here about it.

I would think he'd mention it, whether real or fake, unless there's a vlog somewhere I missed.

I'm sure staff or float plane subs could confirm how recent it is. 

(is that the accepted term for them? Floatplaners? Pilots?) 

8 hours ago, vslavov said:

Is that a real tattoo?

if you can post a link or screenshot I can tell you

37 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

if you can post a link or screenshot I can tell you

Screenshot_20180526-215228.jpg

There might be a better angle in the video, take a look at the link at the top of this thread :)

be easy to confirm by taking a look at other videos

my guess is its a kids "tattoo"

Just now, Canada EH said:

be easy to confirm

How would you suggest LTT to do that on a statistically significant way?

16 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Well i believe this is actually a reason to go out there and buy a new blade as the review sample razer is going to send you.

It will be 1 review sample vs 1 retail sample. But that's all you need to compare them and see if there are any differences.

If razer has good QC and doesn't cherry pick review samples, they should be identical. If they aren't, it's a problem and reason enough to at least warn consumers their QC is still not perfect.

If there is no difference, there's at least no clear proof the review sample is cherry picked (or proof the review sample is similar enough as the retail model) and if you guys like the new blade and are going to recommend it, you do at least know the consumer is likely to get something similar enough like the blades you got.

You called them out, for good reason, but i think it's also fair to give them another chance and see if there is reason to still worry about the new blade getting poor QC or there are signs it is improved today.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It will be 1 review sample vs 1 retail sample. But that's all you need to compare them and see if there are any differences.

A mere one on one comparison might be fun and entertaining video material, but does actually proof nothing.

The results from such a "test" have simply no scientific ground to draw any objective conclusions.

Just now, Christophe Corazza said:

A mere one on one comparison might be fun and entertaining video material, but does actually proof nothing.

The results from such a "test" have simply no scientific ground to draw any objective conclusions.

Yes and no, if their QC is good, there shouldn't be a difference.

However, if there is a difference, that means their QC either doesn't check all devices properly or allows such a wide margin of error they allow products to be different, even tho that shouldn't be the case.

An objective conclusion won't be possible, true. But if there are clear differences that can be objectively proven, they can at least tell the consumer that there is a difference and they should be aware of that. If there are no difference, they know the review sample isn't cherry picked on first sight because the retail sample is identical (there could be differences that they maybe haven't figured out but still, it's something noteworthy)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yes and no, if their QC is good, there shouldn't be a difference.

However, if there is a difference, that means their QC either doesn't check all devices properly or allows such a wide margin of error they allow products to be different, even tho that shouldn't be the case.

An objective conclusion won't be possible, true. But if there are clear differences that can be objectively proven, they can at least tell the consumer that there is a difference and they should be aware of that. If there are no difference, they know the review sample isn't cherry picked on first sight because the retail sample is identical (there could be differences that they maybe haven't figured out but still, it's something noteworthy)

For entertainment purposes, you would get away with it.

However, if you want to make an objective statement, having a data sample size of merely one really isn't going to cut it.

In the mystique world where science and statistics meet, they will just laugh out loud in your face with your 'findings'.

To have a significant conclusions, your sample units (so the single laptop that you suggest LTT needs to buy from the store) needs to represent the whole populatoin (all of the laptops that Razer produces). Do you see where I'm going with this?

To clarify: I do not defend Razer in any way. But proving it in a statistically significant way (a way that Razer won't be able to deny) is difficult.

15 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Oh please Nick. Leave that video to die somewhere dark and musty. I still don't get why you tested chips at stock frequencies on non overclock able chips. They literally have to preform the same if given the same outside forces.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

13 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

For entertainment purposes, you would get away with it.

However, if you want to make an objective statement, having a data sample size of merely one really isn't going to cut it.

In the mystique world where science and statistics meet, they will just laugh out loud in your face with your 'findings'.

To have a significant conclusions, your sample units (so the single laptop that you suggest LTT needs to buy from the store) needs to represent the whole populatoin (all of the laptops that Razer produces). Do you see where I'm going with this?

To clarify: I do not defend Razer in any way. But proving it in a statistically significant way (a way that Razer won't be able to deny) is difficult.

I know what you mean, proving anything in an objective way won't be possible.

But i just want to know if i go out and buy a new razer blade, will i get the same razer that linus got or did they mess with something so mine isn't as good as the one linus reviewed?

If Linus says a product performs such and such, i expect the exact same results if i do the exact same tests with the exact same product in the exact same scenario (as far as margin of error allows of course).

25 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

But i just want to know if i go out and buy a new razer blade, will i get the same razer that linus got or did they mess with something so mine isn't as good as the one linus reviewed?

I understand your frustrations completely.

But - for now - I'm affraid we're simply limited to good faith and trust in the brand, even though there are an unusual amount of people complaining about their Blade and Blade Stealth.

And that trust in the brand is not for everyone the same.

(For me: it indeed smells fishy...)