Apple and Volkswagen Will Make a Self-Driving Car

5b076af966207_VWVan.jpg.8acb3fc8e4fb0931df7daf16d0826fac.jpg

(Volkswagen T6, the same VW model as the possible future Apple van, minus the modifications)

Apple is mostly known for their phones, tablets, and computers. However, now they are partnering with Volkswagen to make a self-driving transport vehicle for Apple employees. At first, Apple wanted to produce a car completely in-house but that plan was changed to a partnership with a traditional automaker:

In recent years, Apple sought partnerships with the luxury carmakers BMW and Mercedes-Benz to develop an all-electric self-driving vehicle, according to five people familiar with the negotiations who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. But on-again, off-again talks with those companies have ended after each rebuffed Apple’s requirements to hand over control of the data and design, some of the people said.

Similar problems were encountered in talks with the Japanese Nissan, Chinese BYD Auto, and British McLaren. Finally, Volkswagen agreed to work with Apple, possibly due to their trouble compared with rivals in developing a self-driving car. According to the New York Times and two former Apple employees:

Now, at a lab near Turin, Italy, run by a Volkswagen subsidiary called Italdesign, the companies plan to remake Volkswagen's T6 vans as electric self-driving shuttles, these people said. The frame, wheels and chassis of the T6 vans will remain, but Apple is replacing many components, including the dashboard and seats, said two people familiar with the project. Apple is also adding other computers, sensors and a large electric car battery, they said. The shuttles will ferry employees between two of Apple’s Silicon Valley campuses, and will include a driver behind the wheel to take control if needed, as well as an operator in the passenger’s seat tracking the van’s performance.

The issue with Apple entering the self-driving car space is this: Google's Waymo and Uber both have a head start and had more initial experience related to self-driving cars. Google has emerged as a software and AI giant, and at least Uber's business has always been cars. Apple has never made or worked closely with cars, and on the software side, most people3 4 find Siri on iPhones inferior to Google Assistant on Android. Volkswagen will cover the auto side, but can Apple, the creator of arguably 'elegant' and 'intuitive' products, and sometimes mechanically flawed5 devices, create a reliable and intelligent self-driving algorithm? I suppose we'll have to wait and see for Apple to give results.

Sources:

1. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/technology/apple-bmw-mercedes-volkswagen-driverless-cars.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fautomobiles&action=click&contentCollection=automobiles&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&auth=login-smartlock&mtrref=jalopnik.com&gwh=0C2C9C184A0E3033649543576DC253BE&gwt=pay
  2. https://jalopnik.com/apple-and-volkswagen-will-make-self-driving-shuttles-fo-1826286839
  3. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/930511-do-you-feel-siri-or-google-assistant-is-more-advanced/?tab=comments#comment-11376335
  4. https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/siri-vs-google-assistant-3659249/
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

Just for people who have some aversions to Volkswagen, remember they own Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Bugatti. Hopefully some self driving tech will trickle down into these other brands.

The iCar, a self-driving VW bug, for a cool $3.2M.

/s

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Hopefully it will have security developed by VW, don't want hackers getting access like they did to iCloud...

43 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

5b076af966207_VWVan.jpg.8acb3fc8e4fb0931df7daf16d0826fac.jpg

wait it has windows...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Just for people who have some aversions to Volkswagen, remember they own Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Bugatti. Hopefully some self driving tech will trickle down into these other brands.

You forgot Skoda, Seat and Ducati but yes together with GM and Toyota they are the biggest car company so if they do something like this the others must follow.

40 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

The issue with Apple entering the self-driving car space is this: Google's Waymo and Uber both have a head start and had more initial experience related to self-driving cars. Google has emerged as a software and AI giant, and at least Uber's business has always been cars.

Uber uses Volvo cars for their selfdriven cars on the other hand Google even has a massive head start.

41 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

Apple has never made or worked closely with cars, and on the software side, most people find Siri on iPhones inferior to Google Assistant on Android. Volkswagen will cover the auto side, but can Apple, the creator of arguably 'elegant' and 'intuitive' products, and sometimes mechanically flawed5 devices, create a reliable and intelligent self-driving algorithm?

Volvo and Google are working together to run Android native on the latest Volvo XC40, so that would mean we could run android apps in our car (a better version of Android Auto)

I use Android Auto to run Google maps or Waze on the screen of my VW Golf and it's great except I have to plug my phone in my car via usb which takes too long.

Apple's Siri and maps are not even close to Google so I wonder if the Apple sheep will buy cars just based on the fact that apple was involved with the production.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

So does this mean Linus has won his bet?

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.4 GHz
Mobo | Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming

GPU | Sapphire NITRO+ RX-580

RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Case | Fractal Design Define R6

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

Keys | Corsair K70 RGB Mk2, MX-Red

Mouse | Logitech M215v2 Wireless

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

RAM | 4GB Kingston ValuRAM

SSD | 120GB Adata

HDD | 2x Toshiba 3TB, 3x Hitachi 2TB

PSU | EVGA 600B

Case | Cooler Master N300

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

MODEL | Asus X550IU "Signature Edition" (whatever that means)

APU | AMD FX-9830P with Radeon R7 Graphics
GPU | Radeon RX-460

SSD | Mushkin Triactor 500GB

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

4 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

wait it has windows...

It would be kinda hard for Apple to convince their employees to ride around in a van with no windows that drives itself... lol

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

I'm all for Self Driving cars. 

The only thing I have issue is failure of key automation systems while in operation, but that is what the driver is for after all. 

Self Driving cars are always going to be safer than humans on the road. No matter how good of a driver you are, you are at the mercy of everyone else's driving. I don't know about you, but I don't have much confidence in everyone else......

Whoever is making them, I just want more electric and self driving cars on the road. They are greener and safer, and everyone wins. 

Spoiler

Not the gas companies though...but who cares about them anyway? xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

omg i just realized it has windows. dual os by default

/s

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

So this is what it looks like if Cyril Sneer and Mr.Grinch have a baby.  Yikes!

Only thing that comes to mind with this news are lyrics from Iron Maiden's 'Run To The Hills'.

that vw bus concept seems like it *could* be a good appley car

DIUSg7Y.jpg

vw-bus-id-buzz-concept-design-transporta

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Wait

Apple and VW teams up to make a self-driving car

Audi is developing a self-driving car

Audi is a VW subsidiary

6_9

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

The exterior would be all glass, and your iphone would replace the key fob. And everyone would be in an uproar about not having stand alone keys.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

vw-bus-id-buzz-concept-design-transporta

Nice picture, really tugs on those advertisers strings.  Problem is can't use apple anything in direct sunlight for extended periods.

ios10-iphone7-temperature-cool-down.png

Sounds like one of the first AI cars that will lie about it's emissions, battery issues after a year, only serviceable by the Genius, and have absolutely ZERO transparency.
And considering both Apple and VW, it'll be recognized and have everything Fanboys love...

Match made in freaking heaven.

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

... only serviceable by the Genius, and have absolutely ZERO transparency....

You're underestimating them.  Probably won't even able to rotate tires without taking the vehicle to the dealers tech support and having them ship away the vehicle to their centralized sweatshop because they used unique patented rivets instead of normal tire hub nuts and bolts, and even get laws changed to help them bend over customers.

Heaven help you if you get a flat tire.

12 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You didn't go to a VW AND Apple certified Firestone, your warranty is now void.

Shit.  They'd even void the warranty even if don't use their 'specially formulated' windshield washer fluid.  Not that I'd even expect an apples sale rep to know the difference between WWfluid, oil, and coolant at a hypothetical auto-apple store.

You: Hey Siri, break !!

Siri: hold on.... I'll honk when I'm ready.... 

*car crashes into a wall* 

Siri: here are some recipes for bread. 

I will NEVER trust my life to anything apple is involved with. I dont wanna die any sooner than i have to.

Its not smart to trust apple.

Id go further by adding... its irrational to trust apple and any apple produce