Looking for relatively High Quality Headset for Gaming plus concerns

AsianBorn
Go to solution Solved by MarcCz,

Going the ModMic route is definitely a great choice!

I wouldn't pay too close attention to the 'gaming' marketing, good headphones are good headphones. I use a set of HiFiMan HE-400s that I bought for listening to music and they're awesome in games too! I'd spend some time reading written reviews from a reputable source that reviews audiophile equipment, pay specially attention to the way they describe the sound signature. Also think about fit: On ear? over ear? etc. Bottom line if you buy a set of well reviewed headphones at this price point your going to be happy, focus on what will fit you taste. It's a lot of money take you time researching!

Something to consider with open back headphones is that the offer absolutely no noise insulation you'll be able to hear everything around you and others may be able to hear what you're listening to. That said I used my very open headphones all through college sometimes sharing a room and it was totally fine.

At about 100 pounds you're starting to approach the threshold of where a DAC/AMP may be worth the extra money; you will likely notice a difference (depending on how good your ear is). I'd take a look at the Fiio A3 (30 USD). even an entry level DAC/AMP combo like this will make a significant difference.

A word of warning! once you get some good audio gear you can never go back! enjoy!

Hope this helps!

I am looking to buy a headset primarily for Gaming and can spend at most £120, maybe a tiny bit more if it's worth it. In the future I plan on purchasing the Mod Mic 5 so a mic is not necessary, however I've wondered if Audio Technica and other Music and Studio headsets are just as good or better for gaming? I've heard gaming headsets are just gimmicky, come with poor microphones and are a waste of money in general. Being able to determine where gunshots are coming from and locating enemies based on footsteps would be rather important to me and I do plan on buying an AMP and DAC in the future as well as the mod mic.

I was considering the Audio Technica ATH-AD500X Open back headphones as I've seen reviews on amazon claiming that they were bought for the intended purpose of gaming and the users were extremely pleased, if there are any newer or better solutions I am definitely open to suggestions as I don't know very much about the audio side of components but want to spend my money wisely. One other concern is also that my room is somewhat small and I am worried that the sound blasting out from my open-back headphones would echo and be picked up by the mic for others to hear as I use Discord and Skype often and don't use push-to-talk as I am just chatting with friends and gaming with them sometimes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also any suggestions on AMPs DACs (If they are needed) for particular headphones such as the ATH-AD500X or any others would be appreciated, I've watched a Linus video and Luke explained it to me so I somewhat understand but I'm not sure what brands to go with (if that matters). 

Have a look at some SteelSeries headsets. They're a good price and have damn good audio quality. I personally have the Siberia 350s which cost me around $100 which is something like 85 pounds I think.

Going the ModMic route is definitely a great choice!

I wouldn't pay too close attention to the 'gaming' marketing, good headphones are good headphones. I use a set of HiFiMan HE-400s that I bought for listening to music and they're awesome in games too! I'd spend some time reading written reviews from a reputable source that reviews audiophile equipment, pay specially attention to the way they describe the sound signature. Also think about fit: On ear? over ear? etc. Bottom line if you buy a set of well reviewed headphones at this price point your going to be happy, focus on what will fit you taste. It's a lot of money take you time researching!

Something to consider with open back headphones is that the offer absolutely no noise insulation you'll be able to hear everything around you and others may be able to hear what you're listening to. That said I used my very open headphones all through college sometimes sharing a room and it was totally fine.

At about 100 pounds you're starting to approach the threshold of where a DAC/AMP may be worth the extra money; you will likely notice a difference (depending on how good your ear is). I'd take a look at the Fiio A3 (30 USD). even an entry level DAC/AMP combo like this will make a significant difference.

A word of warning! once you get some good audio gear you can never go back! enjoy!

Hope this helps!

I wouldn't really trust amazon reviews on audio gear. Most people don't buy enough pairs of headphones to have something to reference against.
Do you want closed or open back? At your pricepoint theres a ton of possibilties.

- snip-