pcie 1x to 16x riser cable

manikyath
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
39 minutes ago, manikyath said:

dont nvidia cards need to be on 16x in order for the geforce driver to recognise the card?

EDIT: 8x.. math, it exists.

nope, 8x is just for sli. I have ran geoforce cards at 1x just fine.

so.. before people scream "bad idea"..

purely for experimental purposes

I have a mobo with a pentium silver, and only a pcie 1x slot.

I also have a GT640 sitting on the shelf.

i'm looking for a riser cable that'll do the whole voodoo of making the GPU think its in a 16x slot, but can plug into a 1x slot.

the general idea is it should be plug&play, it should allow me to install nvidia drivers, and it should allow me to use the GPU like normal.

it's mostly an experiment of finding out how much of a limit not being able to get a dedicated GPU on the pentium silver platform is, and how much of a limit running a gpu on pcie 1x is.

Past having the cable "work", i have zero expectations of performance.

my issue is, i have no idea where to find such a cable, and find one that will give me some sort of certainty that it'll even work. I dont really have a budget in mind, but i'd prefer something not astronomiclly expensive, and something that wont take a century to ship here.

so... TLDR, i want something that fills this gap:

GT640 (or any low-power GPU) => ??? => pcie 1x slot => working with windows 10.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

GPU think its in a 16x slot,

Does it actually need to have a x16 link? Most all gpu's will work fine on a 1x link.

Id just get one ofthose mining calbes like these  Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Rebbic-VER009S-2-Pack-Riser-Interface/dp/B077N89ZBH/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527193181&sr=1-7&keywords=pcie+riser&dpID=51HU5HwRo8L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

These adaptors are generally for mining, so a local mining group might be a place to find it. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it actually need to have a x16 link? Most all gpu's will work fine on a 1x link.

Id just get one ofthose mining calbes like these  Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Rebbic-VER009S-2-Pack-Riser-Interface/dp/B077N89ZBH/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527193181&sr=1-7&keywords=pcie+riser&dpID=51HU5HwRo8L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

dont nvidia cards need to be on 16x in order for the geforce driver to recognise the card?

I think there are some miner adapters that you can use to do that

39 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

digging out the back of the 1x slot as we speak, will report back with pics if it happens :P

31 minutes ago, manikyath said:

digging out the back of the 1x slot as we speak, will report back with pics if it happens :P

yeah they don't require more than 1x  to install properly. I wouldn't recommend trying to game like that, but it works just fine - functionally-speaking.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

1 minute ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

yeah they don't require more than 1x  to install properly. I wouldn't recommend trying to game like that, but it works just fine - functionally-speaking.

pentium silver, in case you dont follow up on intel's new even more stupily complex naming scheme, there's supposedly a lack fo 16x slot for a reason :P

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

pentium silver, in case you dont follow up on intel's new even more stupily complex naming scheme, there's supposedly a lack fo 16x slot for a reason :P

fair enough... I haven't used a Penitum CPU since the Pentium 4 days. They just don't make 'em like they used to ;)

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

1 minute ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

fair enough... I haven't used a Penitum CPU since the Pentium 4 days. They just don't make 'em like they used to ;)

tbh.. for the ~€110i paid for the board..

https://ark.intel.com/products/128984/Intel-Pentium-Silver-Processor-J5005-4M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

not a bad pick.

43 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

everything about this feels wrong :P

0870e78e4f.jpg

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but does it work? No one said its gonna be pretty.

well.. i have a display output.. and about 20 liters of sweat on my forehead :P

EDIT: it's downloading nividia drivers trough windows update :D

tried some rocket league, it's playable.. doesnt make me any better at the game tho :P