12 KILOMETER Wi-Fi - SUCCESS!!!

Nice job. Now only if I could get WiFi to reach my room.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

i wonder how much interference it can handle before connection is cut

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

What a view...

image.thumb.png.fa81ab28b5a7f1ba276807ebb19fd991.png

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

So what's the purpose of this if you need direct line of site?

What's the law governing this?

What frequencies are you using?

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

26 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

High speed internet over a long distance. We use this a lot in our business (ISP) to provide up to 100Mbps internet in locations where Fiber doesn't exist and there is only DSL with max speeds of around 6Mbps average.

Depending on the frequencies used. In my country 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz is free to use by public (Same as home WiFi freq) where as other frequencies are licensed. Consult your local authorities regarding public usable frequencies. (2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz is usable in almost all countries as again home wireless uses these.)

Majority of Ubiquiti wireless gear is running on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Some of their products like AirFibre runs on 11Ghz and higher like 24Ghz

https://airmax.ubnt.com/.

The gear Linus was using ran on 5Ghz using the AirMax protocol. 

Radio: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocket-prism-ac/

Antennae: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocketdish-lw/

\

12 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

- Put some dishes on towers, beam Wi-Fi.  I think they are primarily used for getting internet to places that would be otherwise difficult to get to (islands, up hills, places with little to no infrastructure etc.)

- In Canada I think you can just do it and no one will care, but in Europe they can be a bit more strict

- Not sure, think it's lower frequencies but don't quote me on that

Not to go into this again, but what in the actual hell is that abomination in thumbnail?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Marzio said:

If you need WiFi in a certain room that doesn't get signal I would suggest something like this https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

those are just amazing, dont have one myself but have helped setting some up in a building with meter thick concrete walls and wifi just works

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

those are just amazing, dont have one myself but have helped setting some up in a building with meter thick concrete walls and wifi just works

Yeah we install like 20+ a week if not more :D Love them a lot

Running the older non AC models at home since I got them for free. Still get my full 50Mbps line speed over the 2.4Ghz wireless :P

\

1 hour ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

What a view...

image.thumb.png.fa81ab28b5a7f1ba276807ebb19fd991.png

On a good day (e.g. most of last year when we weren't getting smoked or rained on, dunno what's up this year with the low vis.) you can see Mt. Baker in the distance.

Use GPS Waypoints app from Playstore, you just input both coordinates and the app will find which way you must aim. I'm using this app for 10-25km link with Cambium PTP radio a few times and it's quite accurate.

44 minutes ago, adhisakti said:

Use GPS Waypoints app from Playstore, you just input both coordinates and the app will find which way you must aim. I'm using this app for 10-25km link with Cambium PTP radio a few times and it's quite accurate.

Aw, man. I was trying to figure out how to use the compass and our GPS coordinates to do it. Didn't figure it out in time and we settled with the reflector. =P

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

59 minutes ago, adhisakti said:

We did something similar during the first day but only had a phone compass which isn't nearly accurate enough.

9 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

Where I live, in Cambodia, many areas are not covered for internet access. Here, we are 5 Kilometers from the highway, and the nearest ISP access. Something like these dishes would be a bit overkill. We used two of these, for one of our ISPs.

TP_Link_CPE510.jpg.a6e5af0201102bb8644a96291c7ea813.jpg

Obviously, these are not Ubiquiti products. But I am sure Ubiquiti offers something similar.

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

Should have used flares for location finding; don't think it's illegal to use a flare is it?

14 hours ago, ILFE said:

Where I live, in Cambodia, many areas are not covered for internet access. Here, we are 5 Kilometers from the highway, and the nearest ISP access. Something like these dishes would be a bit overkill. We used two of these, for one of our ISPs.

TP_Link_CPE510.jpg.a6e5af0201102bb8644a96291c7ea813.jpg

Obviously, these are not Ubiquiti products. But I am sure Ubiquiti offers something similar.

Thanks.

I'm in the UK and here the spectrum is heavily regulated. If you cause interference or use the spectrum allocated to others you can face two years in jail.

I realise wifi is technically 2.4ghz and 5ghz but it's also an offence to interfere with signals in the UK. So I was wondering if these would interfere with other people's wifi or radio.

To show I'm not exaggerating there is a huge issue with PL networking causing interference as the power lines being used aren't shielded enough.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11325914/You-could-be-prosecuted-over-your-broadband-thanks-to-GCHQ.html

Ofcom proposes that people with "power line" networking equipment could face prosecution if it interferes with radio signals
Thousands of homeowners could face prosecution if their broadband persistently interferes with radio signals, under Ofcom proposals published after lobbying by intelligence agency GCHQ.

The Government agency has become increasingly concerned in recent years about "power line" networking equipment. This allows people to use the mains wiring in their homes to transmit data, as an alternative to a Wi-Fi network, and has been distributed to BT and TalkTalk customers to connect their television set-top boxes to broadband.

Ofcom, the communications watchdog, published a consultation on Monday on new regulations that would allow its officials to issue enforcement notices to shut down such networks when the electromagnetic radiation they can emit interferes with radio signals. Those who fail to comply will face criminal prosecution.

Ofcom said: “Communications networks form an important part of the UK’s national infrastructure, both directly and as an input to other services including safety and security services, utilities and industry (e.g. banking).

“Communications networks are a key aspect on which these services depend for their organisation and operation, and therefore it is important to protect their correct function from undue interference.”

GCHQ is particularly sensitive to interference because part of its role involves monitoring international military radio signals that can be very weak when they reach its receivers.

As well as networking adapters, Ofcom said that in the past two years it had received complaints of electromagnetic interference from TV aerial amplifiers, electrical transformers, high voltage power cables and lighting, among other equipment.

Under the regulator's proposals, those who do not comply with an order to stop their equipment causing “undue interference” face prosecution and fines of up to £5,000 in England and Wales in the most serious circumstances, where lives could be threatened. In Scotland and Northern Ireland the worst offenders face up to three months in prison.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

On 23/05/2018 at 8:56 PM, Nicholas Marzio said:

High speed internet over a long distance. We use this a lot in our business (ISP) to provide up to 100Mbps internet in locations where Fiber doesn't exist and there is only DSL with max speeds of around 6Mbps average.

Depending on the frequencies used. In my country 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz is free to use by public (Same as home WiFi freq) where as other frequencies are licensed. Consult your local authorities regarding public usable frequencies. (2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz is usable in almost all countries as again home wireless uses these.)

Majority of Ubiquiti wireless gear is running on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Some of their products like AirFibre runs on 11Ghz and higher like 24Ghz

https://airmax.ubnt.com/.

The gear Linus was using ran on 5Ghz using the AirMax protocol. 

Radio: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocket-prism-ac/

Antennae: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocketdish-lw/

Some areas of the UK have had 5Ghz region allocated to mobile phone networks

Hence my concern

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/pmse/pmse-technical-info/video-links/5-ghzhttps://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/pmse/pmse-technical-info/video-links/5-ghz

And

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/ofcom-speeds-uk-wi-fi-networks-adding-5-8ghz-spectrum-

Fixed outdoor use in 5Ghz is banned 

Also this:

Says some equipment legal in the United States in 5Ghz region band C (5.8Ghz etc)

Is illegal in EU/UK without a licence

https://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/intheuk5ghz.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiV0fS6i5_bAhWrI8AKHVsrDmAQFjAGegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw2Tbc2Z4wlI_jmMenVUgjzD

You can use 5.8ghz unlicensed indoors

Limited to 200mW power

But not fixed outdoors. Which you might be able to do in US/Canada.

Without a licence for UK

Also Linus sent his signal 12Km which implies he exceeded 200mW power at 5.8Ghz. As they say you can get 10km at 4W power.

I think what he did in Canada would be technically illegal in EU/UK unless it was in 2.4Ghz region.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/fixed-wireless-access

I think @LinusSebastian needs to make it clear.

What he did may have been perfectly legal in the US or Canada 

But before trying it at home. Check it's legal.

I don't think it legal here in Europe.

It's using same frequencies used by weather and military radars. There are power restrictions in place. Which is why you need a licence using out doors or above 200mW power. So you couldnt get 12Km Wifi in Europe without a licence

On 5/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, mark_cameron said:

My grandparents live in a rural area where their neighbors can get high speed internet, but they'e stuck on 1.5 mbps DSL. Long range wifi would fix this with minimal hassle and expense.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…