help me transfer files from other HDD

sample text

hey,my friend has some PC which doesn't work and asked me to transfer the files from his HDD to my PC ,upload them on usb and give it to him.In order to get the files from his HDD what do I have to do?If I get his HDD and install it on my PC do I have to format it first?Because I think when I install a new HDD to my PC it will appear as unallocated partition and I have to format it,right?

15 minutes ago, sample text said:

hey,my friend has some PC which doesn't work and asked me to transfer the files from his HDD to my PC ,upload them on usb and give it to him.In order to get the files from his HDD what do I have to do?If I get his HDD and install it on my PC do I have to format it first?Because I think when I install a new HDD to my PC it will appear as unallocated partition and I have to format it,right?

Nope, infact you don't want to format it at all or it will erase everything and you will have an unhappy friend.

just plug it in, and you should be good to go it will just appear as another drive in windows with all of the files that are on it.

*Edit

It may try to boot off that drive depending on how your bios is setup. But if it does just go into the biso and change the drive boot order back to your drive.

10 hours ago, Catsrules said:

Nope, infact you don't want to format it at all or it will erase everything and you will have an unhappy friend.

just plug it in, and you should be good to go it will just appear as another drive in windows. 

then what's the point of USB SATA adapters?just curious

You can install the HDD to your PC in a SATA slot (or whatever the HDD uses) and just boot the computer from your normal boot drive. The HDD should show up in windows as another storage device (in the My Computer screen), and you can copy the files from there to a flash drive. Alternatively (like if you're on a laptop or something), you can use Something like this to transfer the files over a USB 3.0 connection.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, sample text said:

If you don't have any SATA ports/ don't feel like opening up the PC/ using a normal HDD as external storage

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

5 minutes ago, sample text said:

Just easier to use most people don't want to take there computer apart to plug in a drive. Some computers don't have spare sata ports or spare power cable, like laptops or mini desktops. 

USB is a little bit better at being plug and play. some sata can support hot swap but USB is better at it. But I recommend turning you computer off, plugging the drive and then turning it back on.