Should I just roll a dice??

Because it seems they're all excellent PSU's ? I find these the best ones but there are three of them! Why should I pick one over the others?

Players:

EVGA Supernova G3 750W

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

Corsair RM750x

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

What are you powering? If it's a single GPU system, you should get none of them.

If you are running multi-GPU, you shouldn't, as it's more of a hassle than a benefit.

If you still want to run SLI 1080 Tis, get the RM750x, as it's the quietest of them. The G3 is the loudest (in case you want a loud PSU)

:)

I have the plus gold but the 650W version. 

Accidentally did some stuff with it that i shouldn't do with it, but it's still alive (used the cables of my old PSU in it and turns out that the +12V and ground are swapped).

So technically, i shorted the sh*t out of it and it's still fine.

However, i would get the cheapest option. All are good options.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Well, by JonnyGuru's tests all those units are super excellent but by Tom's Hardware tests not so much. I just saw that there is RM750x 2018 edition, well that's just dandy :)

I will be powering OCed 8700K, GTX1080/1080Ti or SLI or what ever comes up next so I don't want to change PSU after a year or two. 

In terms of sound output, some say that G3 Supernova is pretty quiet and that they don't see/hear a fan spinning but on the other hand some say that it's pretty loud :/ 

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

20 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

Because it seems they're all excellent PSU's ? I find these the best ones but there are three of them! Why should I pick one over the others?

Players:

EVGA Supernova G3 750W

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

Corsair RM750x

1. Why 750W?
2. Depends on how important noise is

3. If you look further, you might see other differences between those that make the decision easier...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1. I've already said why

2. Noise is always important but overall quality of components and performance are more important

3. The differences are so small that they are easy to overlook :) 

5 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

1. I've already said why

2. Noise is always important but overall quality of components and performance are more important

3. The differences are so small that they are easy to overlook :) 

get the rm750x, i have the rm650x and it does wonders. never heared that beast. very silent and very good psu

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

grab a seasonic Focus Gold 550 watt or 650watt. you dont need the extra wattage unless you are running SLI.

Oh my... Choices choices :)

Ok, so Corsair RM750x 2018 would be the best option to go with in terms of overall performance, quality and noise levels?

9 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

Well, by JonnyGuru's tests all those units are super excellent but by Tom's Hardware tests not so much. I just saw that there is RM750x 2018 edition, well that's just dandy :)

I will be powering OCed 8700K, GTX1080/1080Ti or SLI or what ever comes up next so I don't want to change PSU after a year or two. 

In terms of sound output, some say that G3 Supernova is pretty quiet and that they don't see/hear a fan spinning but on the other hand some say that it's pretty loud :/ 

Don't bother with SLI unless you like wasting money. Seriously. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 5 games you ever have and ever will play on the PC even make use of a second GPU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Now I'm narrowing down to :

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold/Platinum 750W

and

Corsair RM750x 750W 2018 edition

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Don't bother with SLI unless you like wasting money. Seriously. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 5 games you ever have and ever will play on the PC even make use of a second GPU.

What absolute nonsense. I cant speak for the last 18 months, but unless the OP has a library of indie games then I would say this is a massive exaggeration. The problem here then is that people come across these forums and read this and take it as face value, then they go away and spread it as genuine tech knowledge, when its wrong. 

As I said I can't speak from November 16 onwards,  but out of my entire library of games (its not massive by any margin - 47 steam, 11 Uplay, 11 Origin and around 10 - 15 others) only Just Cause 3 and Quantum Break (shouldn't really mention it - was windows version, horrible messed up release, couldn't even use my Gsync) gave no SLI usage on my then 2x 970's - I ran 2 for around 20 months - sure only around half of triple A titles launched with a working profile, but they usually followed within a few weeks. 

The problem with anything on the net, you only really hear about bad things or broken things, and it's almost always taken out of context and made out to be a widespread issue - How many iphones actually bent in peoples pockets? How many people actually experienced the stuttering caused by the 970's slower 0.5GB vram - It didn't stop performing the way it did on reviews and everyone bought it for that performance - all of a sudden its a massive problem and people are advising not to buy them - I had one 970 a year longer than I ran 2, and I never ever experienced this epidemic that people refer to.... go figure huh. When was the last time someone went on the net and said "hey guys, ive been using this hardware for over a year now and it performs exactly as I expected it to" - it doesn't happen, and that's why SLI has the rep it has - hell of course people are going to have had problems across a range of areas with it, but aren't PC's like that in general? 

It aint perfect, but I liked having it, it felt niche and I never experienced "micro stutter", or any of the other issues everyone speaks of, however there is always one rule I would tell anyone - Don't buy 2 mid range cards from the off if you have the budget, get the best single card you can and keep the upgrade open for later if you get more funds - I see too many people configuring a new PC with 2x 1070's etc when we all know they should be getting a 1080ti (or waiting right now imo). If you only have the money for a 1070 get a 1070, then add one later if you have more money.

@Tic-Tac I would hang fire on any new GPU purchase for now and wait a few months (potentially even 6 weeks if rumours are true) as Nvidia are due to announce new cards, I would wait until then - as for the PSU, I would go with the Corsair, the RMX are great, my HX lasted a good number of years

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

41 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

What absolute nonsense.

...is to call what other People say, without evidence...

I cant speak for the last 18 months,

And that is the Problem...

And there are even AAA Shooter games come where SLI/CF doesn't work at all.

the new Wolfenstein the new Colosus for example. 
DOOM (2016) you can only play in Open GL with SLi

And there are a couple of other games where it just does not work...

but unless the OP has a library of indie games then I would say this is a massive exaggeration.

Doesn't have to be Indy games, even other ones, mostly consoles, are enough.

And others are also many other games that do not work.

If it is Vulkan: doesn't work.

If it is DX12: Has to be mentioned by the programm and be supported by it.,

If it is DX11 it can be supported.

But if we talk about things like KOEI Tecmo games, you can be certain that it doesn't work.

Nier: Automata doesn't Work with CF/SLI

And even if it works, its a bother...

And causes Problems or other stuff you don't want.

As I said I can't speak from November 16 onwards, 

And that is a long time where there were a lot of DX12 and Vulcan games released. As well as other DX11 games that don't care about Mutli GPU.

And why should they, for whom?
For around 2% of the Market? That's not something that's important.

Especially since you need at least 2000€ or so for two GPUs to make sense these days.

THAT is a small libary.

I have almost 300 Games (2 Short) in my Steam Libary, 14 UPlay (but who buys stuff there??) and 32 on Origin. And also a couple on GoG...

Again, a rather small Libary.

And my Steam Account was vacant for most of the Time although its rather old...

only Just Cause 3 and Quantum Break gave no SLI usage on my then 2x 970's

Yes and that's the norm.

And those two are rather new too, aren't they?

So you have two pretty big examples out of your own rather smallish libary that are also pretty recent...

So that at least should be a sign for you that SLI/CF isn't supportet in many games as both of those are pretty huge titles!

How many iphones actually bent in peoples pockets?

Enough for Apple to change the PCB of the Phone. Just look up "Louis Rossman", he made a video about that issue a couple of days ago. Can't be bothered right now...

How many people actually experienced the stuttering caused by the 970's slower 0.5GB vram

The Question is how many of those actually knew it was the memory Architecture and didn't just run to the next computer store to buy a new card??

Because what you experience with that is some kind of awful stuttering - wich leads you to believe the performance of the card isn't enough, so you buy a new one...

all of a sudden its a massive problem and people are advising not to buy them

you totally did not get the Problem, did you??

The Problem is:

a) with only 3,5GiB the card would have been better

b) the performance issue only shows when the VRAM usage is around 4GiB

c) people felt lied to because of this issue.

The issue wasn't so bad that no bigger German Store allowed for a refund after the 14 Days, right?

Oh wait, they did..

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Geforce-GTX-970-Grafikkarte-259503/News/Rueckerstattung-Sachmangel-1149177/

So what were you saying again??

- I had one 970 a year longer than I ran 2, and I never ever experienced this epidemic that people refer to.... go figure huh.

Be happy but don't insullt people who found the Problem and made it public.

If you were happy and didn't notice the issue - fine.

But do NOT insult People who did have issues with that.

Because there can be more than one possible "truth".

I never experienced "micro stutter", or any of the other issues everyone speaks of,

Again, good for you.

But other people have a different oppionion.

Some people can live happily with 30fps limited.

Other people want 60fps. 
That does not make either of those wrong, it is their oppionion wich they have a right to.

Though with some games its less of an issue (JRPGs) than with other games (Shooter)...

Buttom Line:

SLI/CF isn't worth it these days!

You need to waste at least 1000€ or more on two cards and even then you will have problems with some games, that might also be some where you need it to work.

Vulkan doesn't support mGPU (Yet) or hey haven#t implementet it.

DX12 has to support it in the Software also, most games do not.

And with the dying DX11 games you can be lucky and it works or you can be unlucky and it does NOT.

So why bother in the first place when you don't know it?

And November 2016 was 1,5 Years ago.

And here another big Name:
Assasin's Creed Origins -> No SLI Support

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1820897-Any-news-on-SLI-support-Forums

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

...is to call what other People say, without evidence...

So you think the following statement is true?

"Seriously. I'd be willing to bet that fewer than 5 games you ever have and ever will play on the PC even make use of a second GPU."

Hes saying at max 4 games the op has or will ever play will support SLI - I say again, absolute nonsense, you even backed my up by saying 2 games of my own library is a high rate (not sure how as it is 2 from almost 90 games)

So what were you saying again??

Be happy but don't insullt people who found the Problem and made it public.

If you were happy and didn't notice the issue - fine.

But do NOT insult People who did have issues with that.

Because there can be more than one possible "truth".

RIGHT. I did not insult ANYONE!

Where did I insult anyone? Any names? Or did I merely point out that internet can take a fairly small issue/problem and inflate it to a major issue when it really isn't? Was the stuttering picked up ANY 970 release review? I never said it wasn't an issue - I said I never experienced it and because of that, I don't think it was as widespread as people made it out to be.

If it is Vulkan: doesn't work.

If it is DX12: Has to be mentioned by the programm and be supported by it.,

If it is DX11 it can be supported.

But if we talk about things like KOEI Tecmo games, you can be certain that it doesn't work.

Nier: Automata doesn't Work with CF/SLI

So you mentioned 3 games there, I have 80 with SLI support …. Like I said, I can't speak for the last 18 months, but if you're saying 3 games have no SLI in over a year of game releases, id say it's still in a decent place - albeit not perfect, but it never was.

And even if it works, its a bother...

And causes Problems or other stuff you don't want.

And that is a long time where there were a lot of DX12 and Vulcan games released. As well as other DX11 games that don't care about Mutli GPU.

Yup like I said:

2 hours ago, stealth80 said:

it doesn't happen, and that's why SLI has the rep it has - hell of course people are going to have had problems across a range of areas with it, but aren't PC's like that in general? 

you totally did not get the Problem, did you??

The Problem is:

a) with only 3,5GiB the card would have been better

b) the performance issue only shows when the VRAM usage is around 4GiB

c) people felt lied to because of this issue.

The issue wasn't so bad that no bigger German Store allowed for a refund after the 14 Days, right?

Oh wait, they did..

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Geforce-GTX-970-Grafikkarte-259503/News/Rueckerstattung-Sachmangel-1149177/

And that was the problem - people felt lied to and saw an opportunity to return their cards/get some free $$$ - I bet very few of those people obtaining their refunds/returns actually experienced that stutter on any level - nevermind gameplay breaking levels - I was playing 4k witcher 3 on 2x 970's and never got it - But I never said it wasn't real, or wasn't true - Im saying I don't think it was a widespread issue until it went "viral" 

Keep in mind these people (myself included) still got the performance they were expecting, yes some will have experienced that slow down, I just don't believe it was as widespread as people made out - it certainly worked out well for AMD with the 390! 

Yes and that's the norm.

And those two are rather new too, aren't they?

Did you even play Quantum Break? I guess not or don't know about it's release for PC - It was a technical nightmare, bringing even the most powerful systems to their knees (Windows Store version) I seen benchmarks of 980's running at 1080P @ like 21 FPS ultra - it was a broken mess - there's no wonder there was no SLI support (hence my comment about not including it) - so really only Just Cause 3, out of over 80 games, like 1.5%? 

I mean sure, maybe I just bought the right games, hence what I said about indie games.

Some people can live happily with 30fps limited.

Other people want 60fps. 
That does not make either of those wrong, it is their oppionion wich they have a right to.

Though with some games its less of an issue (JRPGs) than with other games (Shooter)…

Again I never said it isn't/wasn't an issue - Im saying I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people are making out

SLI/CF isn't worth it these days!

You need to waste at least 1000€ or more on two cards and even then you will have problems with some games, that might also be some where you need it to work.

In your opinion it isn't, but if someone has the money to spend then why not? Just because I don't think its worth it to pay $1.3m on Bugatti that can't drive to its potential on the roads doesn't mean someone else doesn't

Personally I agree with you, right now I wouldn't SLI anything other than a 1080 / 1080ti unless …… as I said originally, you bough a 1070 like 18 months ago and find a used one (I know GPU market is messed right now) for a good price and you get yourself 1080ti performance for the price of a used 1070 (yes I know theres the outlay for the original 1070) 

Vulkan doesn't support mGPU (Yet) or hey haven#t implementet it.

Theres like 10 Vulkan games, and some of them aren't Vulkan only

And November 2016 was 1,5 Years ago.

And here another big Name:
Assasin's Creed Origins -> No SLI Support

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1820897-Any-news-on-SLI-support-Forums

To counter

Games released with SLI

Ghost Recon:Wildlands

For Honor

Resident Evil 7

Far Cry Primal

Far Cry 5

Watch Dogs 2

Resident Evil 7

Sniper Elite 4

Battlefront 2

Theres more aswell

heres over 350 games listed as supporting SLI 

https://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/sli?title=&sort_bef_combine= &sort_order=&sort_by=&page=2

TLDR

SLI is still worth it (imo) if you have the money to go with 2x High End cards and you don't play obscure games. You also need to ensure you have the PSU and CPU to supply it. And of course, people shouldn't go into it blind, they may have issues (I didn't, some do, I just don't think its as bad people say) and your games may not support it - however, I don't think it's dead - if it was nvidia would stop providing SLI sockets on their cards 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

Well I already pointed out that I don't recommend SLI, and I don't think you'd really find it to be a good use of more money. In that case, you do not need a 750W unit. An RM550X is plenty for an 8700K and 1080 Ti.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

Neither

If you really want SLI, get a Dark Power Pro P11, 850W (smallest of that Plattform). I'd go for Platinum or Titanium for an SLI/CF System

For 550W I'd get a Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M or Cougar GX-F or be quiet Straight Power 11.

Stefan, I'm looking for a fully modular PSU and those prices are so close, everything from 550W-750W is ~5€ so I'm going with at least 650W. Now the only question is should I go with Seasonic Focus Plus Gold/Platinum or Corsair RMx series...

18 hours ago, stealth80 said:

So you mentioned 3 games there,

I mentioned a lot more than 3 Games...

Lets start with Vulkan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support

Some of those Games are Multi API Games, so it might be possible that it might work with another API...

And here the List of DX12 Games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Some of those Support multi GPU with DX12, most don't.

KOEI Tecmo is a company, not a Game, look here a List of their Games on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.

18 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Yes, that are we saying the whole time...

Its just a fraction of games with working muti GPU support.

And on some it doesn't even work that well...

And for older stuff you don't need mGPU anyway, because GPUs are fast enough. So you need that only for newer games. 

1 hour ago, Tic-Tac said:

Stefan, I'm looking for a fully modular PSU and those prices are so close, everything from 550W-750W is ~5€ so I'm going with at least 650W. Now the only question is should I go with Seasonic Focus Plus Gold/Platinum or Corsair RMx series...

Where are you buying from?!
That sounds like the 550W are kinda expensive from where youa re buying.

Here the difference between 550 and 750W is around 20€.

But then again, why waste the money for "moar Wattage!!!1" instead of higher efficiency?!

You mentioned the Focus.

Focus Gold, 73€, 550W, 750W at 89€ -> ~15€ Difference.

But Focus Platinum is also 89€, why not go for that?

Or go for the Prime Ultra Gold (wich cost even more than that) with 93€

Or the Prime Platinum for 115€

Or the be quiet Dark Power Pro P11 for 130€.

Just think about what benefits you more.

A better quality unit (Focus -> Prime), a higher Efficiency one (Gold -> Platinum) or a Higher Wattage one?

I'd say the higher Wattage one is what benefits you the least...

As for Noise:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=529

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-FOCUS-Plus-Platinum-550W-PSU-Review/Detailed-Look

0,58A Fan (something around 2500-2800rpm or so at 12V) for the Focus Gold

0,45A Fan (something around 1800-2200rpm or so at 12V) for the Focus Platinum

So the Focus Platinum is quieter than the Gold one and higher efficiency means less power at the wall.

With the 750W what good does it do? 

W/O Overcllocking you can even use a good 550W PSU for multiple Graphics cards, if you want to!

And I use two Tahiti in the GHz Version wich are around 200-250W TDP 
Two of those:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-radeon-r9-280x-windforce-review,8.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/841-radeon-r9-280x-roundup/page11.html

So why do you want a 750W when you can also do SLI/CF with mid to higher end Cards with 550W as well, w/o OC of course.

Yes, that are we saying the whole time...

Its just a fraction of games with working muti GPU support.

And on some it doesn't even work that well...

Its reference to my original point, that chances are anyone will play a lot more than 5 games that support SLI and the statement was an exaggeration

Ryzen Ram Guide

20 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

Yup and I answered 

23 hours ago, stealth80 said:

@Tic-Tac I would hang fire on any new GPU purchase for now and wait a few months (potentially even 6 weeks if rumours are true) as Nvidia are due to announce new cards, I would wait until then - as for the PSU, I would go with the Corsair, the RMX are great, my HX lasted a good number of years

However if you want Platinum (I can totally understand why, I did - but then I grabbed a 1000w PSU … TBF its back when I was SLI, dual loops etc in TT X9 case, was huge - definitely overkill for what I have now) especially if you do go SLI, then I would go with what @Stefan Payne suggested with Dark Power Pro 11 850w - sure 600w is enough for current cards on SLI, but once you throw in overclocks and then (as I suggested waiting on GPU's) the unknown power usage on the inc Nvidia cards, you should still have the headroom with an 850w. 

Ryzen Ram Guide

Well, I will not go SLI now and those new GPUs will be even more energy efficient so I think even if I go with GTX1080/2080 in SLI in the future I will be good with 650W or 750W PSU. So far these models somehow seem to be an excellent choice : Seasonic Focus Plus Gold and Corsair RMx Series. 

On 27/05/2018 at 1:25 PM, Tic-Tac said:

Now I'm narrowing down to :

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold/Platinum 750W

and

Corsair RM750x 750W 2018 edition

As an owner of three RM750x PSUs, you may find they have some (very very minor) coil whine to begin with - (when drawing upwards of 560W in my tests), but this goes away completely after two or three days of constant use or so. In terms of quality, reliability and noise - I think corsair do the best in the market.

just run superposition for 48 hours, thatll get rid of initial coil whine

i7 8700k @ 5.0Ghz | ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming | Cryorig R1 Ultimate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 8GB (A8G) | WD Black 500GB PCIe NVMe | Samsung 750 EVO 120GB | Western Digital Black Series 1TB | Fractal Design Define R6 TG | Corsair RM750x

"Everyone says that I'm incredibly unlucky at the Silicon Lottery. In truth, I just persist in believing that 106°C is an acceptable temperature."

- Me, 2018