Upgrading to a more powerful graphics card will more power be needed?

So I did some research and went to the cooler master power calculator to see just how much my current rig pulls from the wall outlet and btw this is an AMD card that's called "Radeon HD 6900 series" now for some reason I couldn't really find this card in the list of AMD GPU's so I went for the next closest thing a "Radeon HD 6950 series" which I figured will have a somewhat close amount of power pull from the outlet. And then after getting the calculation of around 408 watts, I believe (including gaming keyboard and mouse) this looked all fine and dandy. Then just to see if I needed to get a new power supply but by my surprise, the GTX 1060 apparently takes less power then the graphics card I have in my own pc which really surprised me and this was with the core clock and the memory clock in the default position. Also the power supply I believe that's in my PC is a 500W so I guess that I'll do me fine, not sure though?

Also, side note:

I have an intel core I5 2500 how much of a bottleneck would it be if I don't change this? Anyone know cause I'm unsure if it's not worth keeping or not?

Yes the 1060 I would suspect uses significantly less power than any card in the 6900 series, 500w is more than enough

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Yah, GPUs have gotten more powerful and more power efficient over the generations so I can definitely see it using less power than an old GPU like that. The one thing to make sure of is that your PSU has enough 6-pin and/or 8-pin cables for the new card.

The 2500 shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck for a 1060 3GB but might hold the 6GB variant back a bit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, GPUs have gotten more powerful and more power efficient over the generations so I can definitely see it using less power than an old GPU like that. The one thing to make sure of is that your PSU has enough 6-pin and/or 8-pin cables for the new card.

The 2500 shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck for a 1060 3GB but might hold the 6GB variant back a bit.

ok thx sounds great can't wait to get meh new card very excited.

I had till last year a 2500k with a rx480 8gb and worked like a charm (less power draw than my gtx 570 ti)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.