Asus MIGHT NOT have killed off Arez, Fake News Alert

Master Disaster

Hold the phone, we've got WCCF doing some actual investigative journalism.

Turns out the account that tweeted about Asus killing off the Arez brand doesn't belong to Asus at all and even worse the logo branding used on the Twitter account is actually stolen from community members and is, you guessed it, unofficial too.

I have seen a good chunk of all the big names pick up the story (google ‘asus arez’, most of them should still be in cache) simply because the twitter handle in question has the right spellings for ASUS AREZ. The brand name isn’t actually part of the ASUS domain and is a parody account created by the random internet troll.

The branding used was actually created by a WCCF journalist and a VIDROCARDS journalist for use on the websites as placeholder graphics.

The logo the account is using was created by me a while ago, and the cover photo was created by Videocardz for use in our original AREZ reveal pieces. In fact, this is not even how the official branding looks nowadays (see below for reference) and would have been pretty obvious to anyone following the AREZ story. Fun fact, the font I used to create the mock branding image is called the Batman Forever Font.

DbE6nG1U0AAXt3Q.jpg-large_678x452.jpg

The Twitter account in question has been suspended and if you look on Asus's website they still list AREZ cards

asus-arez-1030x572.jpg

The irony of someone using a WCCF creation to spread fake news is not lost on WCCF

Ironically many of these pubs have called us out on in the past for being ahem fake news. Jokes aside, this was an understandable mistake and can happen to anyone. Its just interesting to see all the major pubs pick up the story one after another when a cursory glance reveals its a parody account. Also @twitter – hows that blue tick mark working out for you?

https://wccftech.com/no-asus-hasnt-killed-off-its-arez-branding/

Interesting, I wonder why Asus haven't come out and said it's fake news though?

Still makes a change to see WCCF busting fake news for once.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I guess they were already too dedicated to it and are now sort of forced to release them anyway because not releasing them now would cost them too much.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

so the damage is allready done by the GPP. or there is a backhand GPP going on. what happens to the ROG boards and PCs then, not to mention all the other non-Nvidia stuff?

Why does this matter? it is all identical to ROG the only literal difference is the name from ROG to Arez all the rest is completely identical, frankly speaking a completely needless differentiation between their AMD cards from their nVidia cards specially now that GPP died.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

so the damage is allready done by the GPP. or there is a backhand GPP going on. what happens to the ROG boards and PCs then, not to mention all the other non-Nvidia stuff?

I think boards don't get affected.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I think boards don't get affected.

I sort of hope they do. Would be a nice to see Nvidia cards get their own brand meanwhile the rest get Arez? Just because that way the GPP backfired on Nvidia

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

aaaaaand GPP back to status vague again ._.

No, GPP is dead, Nvidia has officially launched a statement saying they are shutting it down.

I am happy Nvidia is shutting down this anti consumer GPP. Companies should be able to name their products the way they want.

But regardless, Is the ROG brand really that important? who buys stuff based on "ROG" or "GAMING X" or whatever. Just look at which GPU is in it, and get a reputable brand and done.

More difficult would have been if they had banned Asus from selling any AMD cards at all. That would have hurt competition because Asus make good products. I believe EVGA only make Nvidia cards, and they get preferential treatment from Nvidia in return.

19 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I sort of hope they do. Would be a nice to see Nvidia cards get their own brand meanwhile the rest get Arez? Just because that way the GPP backfired on Nvidia

I think they meant the actual pcbs don't get affected.

Having separate brands for themselves and amd is exactly what nvidia wanted in the first place. If asus keeps using arez that's a win for them.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Hold the phone, we've got WCCF doing some actual investigative journalism.

Turns out the account that tweeted about Asus killing off the Arez brand doesn't belong to Asus at all and even worse the logo branding used on the Twitter account is actually stolen from community members and is, you guessed it, unofficial too.

Hah! Had a feeling it was fake xD

13 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

#faketweet

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

Is it actually?

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well I asked because I checked the account and it's not verified so it very well could be lol.

@DoctorWho1975 When jokes become reality

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I think they meant the actual pcbs don't get affected.

Having separate brands for themselves and amd is exactly what nvidia wanted in the first place. If asus keeps using arez that's a win for them.

I expect them to be completely identical besides the name. Maybe a slight color change but nothing more

They can do some top tier cards under that name that are also visually different. Like spiritual successor to ARES name. 

I find AREZ name better than so called ROG one. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I expect them to be completely identical besides the name. Maybe a slight color change but nothing more

Yeah me too. But that's not what nvidia was trying to change. They were trying to change the marketing.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Asus Strix Green Monster?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

what? why would they do that? o_o like if there are no official images why would they want to make their own?

also a strike against videocardz from me ._. mmmmnnn

aaaaaand GPP back to status vague again ._.

Why? It's pretty normal for news outlets to create placeholder images for launches where official images are not available.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah me too. But that's not what nvidia was trying to change. They were trying to change the marketing.

That and the fact it costs a fair chunk of money to create a new brand, something that might deincentivise the company from selling AMD products at all or at least inflate to cost of the competing brand.

does that make the ASUS ROG strix vega cards are now the collectors item?

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Hah! Had a feeling it was fake xD

@DoctorWho1975 When jokes become reality

HA! This was my time of the month to be right about something, I'll take credit for it!