UEFI and MBR question

sample text

from all I've learned today(correct me if I say something wrong),there are 2 versions of BIOS Legacy and UEFI.UEFI is newer,it has more options,better UI,supports more stuff and it has faster boot.The GTP drive format comes from UEFI,MBR is from Legacy.1 guy said he recommends to use GPT format even on drives,lesser than 2TB.Well my drive is 1TB and that automatically means it's MBR..and I'm a bit confused now,here are my questions:
I wrote msinfo32 on win10 and it shows my BIOS is Legacy mode.My system is based on UEFI.Does that mean I did a mistake by installing a Legacy OS,and I should install it on UEFI mode?Also why would he recommend to use a GPT format on a drives with less than 2TB?Isn't GPT only for UEFI systems?If I have an old PC Legacy based,I don't think it will support the GPT format,or even if it will support it,it won't be reliable.Also is there any difference between an OS installed in UEFI mode and OS installed in Legacy mode?

HDD size isn't the factor you should use GPT or MBR for boot record, altough for HDD bigger than 2TB, then GPT is the only option, doesn't matter if you are using it for boot drive or just storage.

It's based on your system, is it using BIOS or UEFI

Technically there are structure and format differences between the two, but if you meant performance, there is no difference, and it comes down to user preferences.

In short, it doesn't matter, but in many case that only one supported (either BIOS or UEFI) then just go along with it.

For me personally I go with MBR if the system allows it, it's easier to plug the hard drive and doing diagnose with older system that has no support for GPT boot

ex: my old AMD system won't boot if I plug any drive with GPT formatted, either Internal or external.

10 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

HDD size isn't the factor you should use GPT or MBR for boot record, altough for HDD bigger than 2TB, then GPT is the only option, doesn't matter if you are using it for boot drive or just storage.

It's based on your system, is it using BIOS or UEFI

Technically there are structure and format differences between the two, but if you meant performance, there is no difference, and it comes down to user preferences.

In short, it doesn't matter, but in many case that only one supported (either BIOS or UEFI) then just go along with it.

For me personally I go with MBR if the system allows it, it's easier to plug the hard drive and doing diagnose with older system that has no support for GPT boot

ex: my old AMD system won't boot if I plug any drive with GPT formatted, either Internal or external.

So my HDD will be GPT or MBR,depending on my OS installation disk?For example if I want to install UEFI Win10,it will automatically make my drive in GPT format or maybe I have to convert it manually.All earlier than Windows 8 operating systems which are 32 bit won't support GPT anyways,so I have to use 64 bit OS if I want a GPT HDD.

1 minute ago, sample text said:

So my HDD will be GPT or MBR,depending on my OS installation disk?For example if I want to install UEFI Win10,it will automatically make my drive in GPT format or maybe I have to convert it manually.All earlier than Windows 8 operating systems which are 32 bit won't support GPT anyways,so I have to use 64 bit OS if I want a GPT HDD.

No it based on your motherboard.

No it based on your motherboard.

well my motherboard is x470 TUF gaming...and it doesn't support GPT?

1 minute ago, sample text said:

well my motherboard is x470 TUF gaming...and it doesn't support GPT?

it does, anything beyond 2012 is UEFI based.

UEFI use GPT.

it does, anything beyond 2012 is UEFI based.

UEFI use GPT.

then why my BIOS is Legacy mode atm?because I installed an Legacy mode OS?

Just now, sample text said:

then why my BIOS is Legacy mode atm?because I installed an Legacy mode OS?

because your motherboard support legacy mode and you select it?

Just because it support UEFI doesn't mean it doesn't support legacy mode entirely.

Set it on UEFI for boot option and you will get UEFI mode.

Whatever you end up doing, DON'T mix dualboot with MBR and GPT. It causes even more issues than having two GPT Windows installs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv