is it worth buying expensive headphones?

sample text
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
7 minutes ago, sample text said:

LOL that's dope deal

my brother was used to his HTC/Huawei headphones and he always worried about headphones like Beats or just a headphones for 140+ euros if their bass is too much,because they are big.Is it possible to get some expensive headphones with too much bass?This question may sound dumb,but when I was younger..like 15yo my friend had some 20 euros headphones with retarded bass boost and since then I was stick to the smaller headphones like the ones you get when buying a brand new smartphone

It's definitely possible to get expensive headphones with too much bass. Though "too much" is subjective. It really just depends on what you go for. 

A lot of the mainstream and popular brands that you see people wearing around will be from brands like Beats that sink money into looks and marketing, rather than spending pretty much everything on making them sound good. These types are often the "too much bass" headphones, as it can drown out the weak points of the headphones, and some people can perceive a lot of bass as sounding good. 

The brands that actually produce good headphones are often the ones the average consumer hasn't heard of. Sennheiser is massive, so most people have heard of them, but they're one of the best. Audio Technica and Beyer Dynamic make some very good headphones too. 

I would personally recommend the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s and Audio Technica MSR7s. I've owned both of them and love both of them. The Momentums are a bit more stylised and fold up, while the MSR7s are more focused on getting clean audio. 

hey,can someone tell me if it's worth spending 100-150 euros for headphones?I always used some random 20-25 euros headphones Philips,Panasonic etc and I wonder if there is some noticeable difference between Philips,Panasonic headphones sound quality and Beats by Dre.Is it worth?Or it's expensive just because it's prestigious brand.In my country (Bulgaria) Beats by Dre is expensive brand.There are even Razer or SteelSeries headsets which cost 200-300 euros..it's just ridiculous,are they really that good to cost 300 euros? lol

Beats by Dre and Razer are crap, stay away from them. Get yourself something from sennheiser, Audiotechnika, sony or some other good brand.

Lets just start this thread of by saying Beats by Dr. Dre are not expensive because of superior build/audio quality. That's marketing that money goes to.

But from someone who always had 20-60 euros headphones/sets and switched to a good quality (for me 140 euro) pair of headphones little over a year ago: yes it is worth it. The sound quality is so much better, but it's mainly the build quality that is a ton better as well. With normal use, those 20-40 euro headphones broke on me not even after a years worth of use.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's not worth buying expensive ones for the sake of it being expensive, but it is worth buying good headphones that are expensive because of the quality. 

Beats and gaming headsets from the likes of Razer generally aren't worth the cost as you end up paying for looks and branding rather than quality. 

I'd advise looking at Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamic and Audio Technica, though make sure to look up reviews on the headphones before buying. Even among those brands, there are some overpriced or bad units. Just being expensive doesn't mean it's good, but a set of good 150EUR headphones is a big improvement over a 25EUR pair. 

10 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

Here= 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00U5WUOMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1526671543&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sony+mdr+zx770bn&dpPl=1&dpID=41ESnmhThWL&ref=plSrch

180 euro headphones for 120.

They are pretty good also, work wired and wireless, 20hour battery wireless, endless wired, noise canceling etc.

LOL that's dope deal

10 hours ago, Minibois said:

yes it is worth it. The sound quality is so much better, but it's mainly the build quality that is a ton better as well. With normal use, those 20-40 euro headphones broke on me not even after a years worth of use.

my brother was used to his HTC/Huawei headphones and he always worried about headphones like Beats or just a headphones for 140+ euros if their bass is too much,because they are big.Is it possible to get some expensive headphones with too much bass?This question may sound dumb,but when I was younger..like 15yo my friend had some 20 euros headphones with retarded bass boost and since then I was stick to the smaller headphones like the ones you get when buying a brand new smartphone

7 minutes ago, sample text said:

LOL that's dope deal

It's definitely possible to get expensive headphones with too much bass. Though "too much" is subjective. It really just depends on what you go for. 

A lot of the mainstream and popular brands that you see people wearing around will be from brands like Beats that sink money into looks and marketing, rather than spending pretty much everything on making them sound good. These types are often the "too much bass" headphones, as it can drown out the weak points of the headphones, and some people can perceive a lot of bass as sounding good. 

The brands that actually produce good headphones are often the ones the average consumer hasn't heard of. Sennheiser is massive, so most people have heard of them, but they're one of the best. Audio Technica and Beyer Dynamic make some very good headphones too. 

I would personally recommend the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s and Audio Technica MSR7s. I've owned both of them and love both of them. The Momentums are a bit more stylised and fold up, while the MSR7s are more focused on getting clean audio. 

19 minutes ago, sample text said:

LOL that's dope deal

Yeah i got those headphones a year ago and they still are very good. Sound quallity is good etc, and for 120 euro they are golden, especially if you are looking for wireless headphones.

Been using Sony MDRXB50APR s for the past year and a half and they sound pretty good, albeit like most headphones the cable is already breaking. You can definitely get some great sounding headphones for a small amount of cash. Would recommend you have a music player that features an EQ so you can fine tune it to your tastes. You can buy the most fancy and expensive headphones you can find they and could still sound like crap if it doesn't adapt well with the stock EQ settings.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 5/18/2018 at 1:08 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Been using Sony MDRXB50APR s for the past year and a half and they sound pretty good, albeit like most headphones the cable is already breaking. You can definitely get some great sounding headphones for a small amount of cash. Would recommend you have a music player that features an EQ so you can fine tune it to your tastes. You can buy the most fancy and expensive headphones you can find they and could still sound like crap if it doesn't adapt well with the stock EQ settings.

I kind of find the EQ annoying as different songs tend to require slightly different tuning to sound better to me. If I could put an EQ preset to each song, I might use it.

I have the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear 1.0 that I bought on sale for $75 several years ago. They pretty much blow everything else I've owned out of the water, though doubtless headphones can get much better than that too.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

28 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I kind of find the EQ annoying as different songs tend to require slightly different tuning to sound better to me. If I could put an EQ preset to each song, I might use it.

I have the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear 1.0 that I bought on sale for $75 several years ago. They pretty much blow everything else I've owned out of the water, though doubtless headphones can get much better than that too.

Yea, when I'm tuning my EQ, I usually rapidly switch between the songs I often listen too just to find the right balance between all of them. It won't be the most optimal, but it'll be adjusted just enough so that it won't annoy me immediately. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea, when I'm tuning my EQ, I usually rapidly switch between the songs I often listen too just to find the right balance between all of them. It won't be the most optimal, but it'll be adjusted just enough so that it won't annoy me immediately. 

Leaving the EQ off was probably the least annoying setting I could find after a lot of listening. My music tastes vary so greatly that one setting cannot cover everything. The only music genre I actually don't like is Rap, though I listen to most everything else ranging from modern Electronic, to 80's rock, to Classical, and even Jazz, and the mastering itself introduces another variable. 

It would be almost maddening to have to set the EQ for whatever I felt like listening to, so I did away with it altogether.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Yes but only if u dont have poor hearing and you have a good DAC.

No point spending money on a good pair of headphones and then run them of onboard sound, or some crapy MP3 stick, or your phone.

If you want somthing mobile, that can also be used with ur PC as a DAC, then conside a DAP, like the FiiO X3.

And then, try to get music in lossless format, like FLAC.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |