PUBG Crashes in the Same Spot Every Time

BarackOBatman

Anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting PUBG?

The game crashes most games shortly after pulling the parachute. On a few occasions, I managed to go a few minutes without crashing. (0-5 minutes before crash)

Specs:

i5-2400

GTX 770

16 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

2 TB HDD 5400 RPM

600 W PSU

My suspicion is that these crashes are a result of the slower hard drive in random read/writes. NOTE: the game loads up reasonably quick, i commonly load in before the countdown timer even starts.

According to FRAPS, the games runs about 70 FPS minimum, 100 FPS average with the Very low graphics preset. Also, other games, such as Farcry5 run perfectly fine with no crashing or other issues.

I also am fairly certain the CPU or video card is not the issue. Video card passes Time Spy stress test with 99.7% Under full load, the CPU gets up to 60C and the GPU peaks at 80C according to MSI Afterburner.

CPU usage fluctuates between 65-85% GPU usage is pegged at 99% RAM usage: 6GB-8GB

Troubleshooting steps i have tried so far: 

1. Change pagefile size manually to 5000mb-5500mb -  This allowed me to go 5-10 minutes at a time without crashing

2. Turn off page file outright. 0mb. This seemed to do much better, i went for 20-30 minutes before crashing. Note: RAM usage fluctuated around 6-8 GB total

3. launch the game with no MSI afterburner or FRAPS - No effect

4. Verify integrity of game cache. - 100% of files verifed, no effect

5. Close down background programs - No effect

6. Overclock the video card - Still crashes at the same spot (Just hoping i get lucky at this point, I didn't actually expect anything past step 5 to actually work)

7. Put the RAM in different slots

8. Running the game at low settings. Running the game at medium settings.

Windows automatic page file sets to about 3000mb - this crashed the game almost every time after parachuting.

My next step will be to try playing the game on an SSD instead, i have one ordered. Should be here this week. I have played this game on hard drives plenty of times, and it does effect performance (sort of), but i have never had crashing issues because of it.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Just now, Allupyourfinger said:

have you tried to reinstall PUBG?

Actually, no. I will try this tonight.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

On ‎14‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 4:38 PM, Allupyourfinger said:

have you tried to reinstall PUBG?

lmao the game itself is 10-12 GB, I think you should get atleast a 7th gen cpu for this game. Common 2gen is really bad. Get a better.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:14 AM, z0neGOD said:

lmao the game itself is 10-12 GB, I think you should get atleast a 7th gen cpu for this game. Common 2gen is really bad. Get a better.

The question was about the crashing not what CPU i should buy. I have an 8700K in my gaming rig, this is just a cheap PC i'm doing just as a hobby.

Played this game on plenty of 2nd gen CPUs by the way. It's... Adequate. Enough to maintain 60FPS minimum, and not the cause of the crashing.

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

The question was about the crashing not what CPU i should buy. I have an 8700K, this is just a cheap PC i'm doing just as a hobby.

Played this game on plenty of 2nd gen CPUs by the way. It's... Adequate. Enough to maintain 60FPS minimum, and not the cause of the crashing.

Have you tried reinstalling the game yet?

On 5/14/2018 at 9:38 AM, BarackOBatman said:

Actually, no. I will try this tonight.

@Allupyourfinger Soo, in a quick change of plans, I would up selling the hard drive that was in the PC. Looks like we'll never know if this fixed it for me...

I have a replacement SSD coming friday

Just now, Allupyourfinger said:

Are you moving everything from your HDD to your SSD or are you clean installing?

It'll be a clean install because i don't have the HDD anymore.

I was selling another PC to a guy on craigslist, and he needed more storage than what the PC i was selling had, so in a pinch, i cannibalized the HDD from this PC.

4 hours ago, 1337ROOT said:

Delete pubg and install ghost recon wildlands xD

lol GRW was terrible.  Ubisoft can't write a story for shit.

31 minutes ago, veli2501 said:

lol GRW was terrible.  Ubisoft can't write a story for shit.

Its great. EAC ON. Ubisoft can't manage multiplayer … this is it! lol

how they can screw up a game like wildlands? :P too much potential  and its Canadian like Linus lol 

Linus should make a video on how Ubisoft screw up multiplayer every time xD

Did answer allupyourfingers there, I thought it would be unecessery reinstalling the game Since its very big. Dont know the problem then, 

13 minutes ago, z0neGOD said:

Did answer allupyourfingers there, I thought it would be unecessery reinstalling the game Since its very big. Dont know the problem then, 

In all fairness Usually Reinstalling the game works 80% of the time to fix issues, Many people avoid doing it till last as game file sizes are generally large now, But then again some people may not find an issue with this depending on their internet speed.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:33 AM, Alex Colson said:

In all fairness Usually Reinstalling the game works 80% of the time to fix issues, Many people avoid doing it till last as game file sizes are generally large now, But then again some people may not find an issue with this depending on their internet speed.

@Allupyourfinger

I have tried:

Re-install

Use an SSD

Replace CPU and GPU thermal compound CPU temps under 70C GPU temps under 80C

Change RAM 

Still crashes in the same spot every time

On 5/16/2018 at 8:14 AM, BarackOBatman said:

It'll be a clean install because i don't have the HDD anymore.

I was selling another PC to a guy on craigslist, and he needed more storage than what the PC i was selling had, so in a pinch, i cannibalized the HDD from this PC.

I realize that this wasn't your issue because you said you tried it in an SSD and are still having issues, but this post implies that you sold a guy a hard drive when you didn't know if it was properly functioning or not.

That sounds scummy to me.

9 hours ago, Vigilante720 said:

I realize that this wasn't your issue because you said you tried it in an SSD and are still having issues, but this post implies that you sold a guy a hard drive when you didn't know if it was properly functioning or not.

That sounds scummy to me.

The hard drive was working A-ok. I only had issues with PUBG, which i chalked up to the 5400 RPM speed of the drive and not the that the drive was damaged or broken.

Any other games worked with no issues at all whatsoever. Also, the drive was brand new off the shelf and is under warranty. I told the buyer this and asked him to contact me in the event that he needs warranty service.

2 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

The hard drive was working A-ok. I only had issues with PUBG, which i chalked up to the 5400 RPM speed of the drive and not the that the drive was damaged or broken.

Any other games worked with no issues at all whatsoever. Also, the drive was brand new off the shelf and is under warranty. I told the buyer this and asked him to contact me in the event that he needs warranty service.

I'm sorry for doubting you. That sounds excellent.

My god

Sometimes LTT manages to be a jerk of elitist blaming all the hardware left and right.

I'm using 2nd gen CPU and GTX 750 running the game just fine, the POINT HERE IS NOT THE GAME RUNNING WITH SLOW FPS.

The only problem you have is so far only PUBG, since you already doing the most heavy lifting the only suggestion I can offer is to try windows 7.

And yes, the game prone to crashing, it's updating 26MB files almost 3 times a day.

Just search discussion for " Crash " you'll get tons of result

https://steamcommunity.com/app/578080/discussions/1/1693795812308562636/

37 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

The only problem you have is so far only PUBG, since you already doing the most heavy lifting the only suggestion I can offer is to try windows 7.

I do notice these tiny updates here and there.

Also, great idea. I think ill give win 7 a try

1 hour ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Crashing issues with PUBG are likely caused by the game itself. 

I agree

I've had a lot of crashes on pubg till i gave up to my xmp profile and set ram to default (no xmp profile :(  ) And please dont listen to ppl that tell you that "You need a 7th gen cpu intel" thats a dumb lie, I've played a lot of time on my 2500k with a rx480 8gb at 60-90fps , and now playing on a 4790k with a 1070 at 80-140fps, pubg crashes are related to poor memory management or recent windows updates. (try to disable fullscreen optimization and the other setting below ppp crap or something like that )

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

2 hours ago, Peskanova said:

I've had a lot of crashes on pubg till i gave up to my xmp profile and set ram to default (no xmp profile :(  ) And please dont listen to ppl that tell you that "You need a 7th gen cpu intel" thats a dumb lie, I've played a lot of time on my 2500k with a rx480 8gb at 60-90fps , and now playing on a 4790k with a 1070 at 80-140fps, pubg crashes are related to poor memory management or recent windows updates. (try to disable fullscreen optimization and the other setting below ppp crap or something like that )

I agree on the CPU thing.

Also, when you say "fullscreen optimization" are you referring to a setting somewhere? or are you just saying to try running in a borderless window?

If its a setting, where can i find it?

Could you elaborate more about the "PPP crap?" not sure what you mean by this.

Thanks for the ideas! :)