Computer randomly died and won't boot with my primary GPU

So there I was, playing Wow with my roommate, having an alright time, learning the ropes as I just started playing and then BAM! right in the middle of moving items around in my inventory my computer hard crashes and turns off. No blue screen, no warning, just auto off. The lights on my Asus Maximus code 9 MOBO are still on so I know my computer didn't lose all power however it didn't even attempt to turn back on, not even a postcode light attempted to turn on. I cleared CMOS and reset the BIOS back to default and still nothing. I unplugged the power cables to my 970 and extracted the AMD card I had in there ( I was playing around with crypto's a few months back) and Bang! it came back to life.

so I plugged in my power cables back into my 970 and nothing. Not even an attempt to turn on. So I take my 970 out and replace it with the little AMD card and then it turns on.

I am starting to think my 970 had an aneurysm and now it's an expensive paperweight. Can I get some help confirming this and would anyone know why it would just out of the blue die like this with no warning. Like everything was perfectly fine and suddenly it died or something.

Thanks, guys :)

Does the amd card also need power cables? Maybe just maybe something happened with your psu, and it can't supply the 970 anymore. MAybe test the 970 in a different pc or something.

But most probably it died.

Just now, Some Random Member said:

Does the amd card also need power cables? Maybe just maybe something happened with your psu, and it can't supply the 970 anymore. MAybe test the 970 in a different pc or something.

But most probably it died.

no the AMD card I have is an RX 550 1GB (or 2GB, I can't really remember) so it doesn't require the power cables. I can't see the power cables being an issue though nor the PSU as it's a 750 B2 EVGA 80 plus Bronze power supply. Though my GPU is roughly 4 years old so I can kinda understand it crapping out... =\

Just now, inZaniac said:

no the AMD card I have is an RX 550 1GB (or 2GB, I can't really remember) so it doesn't require the power cables. I can't see the power cables being an issue though nor the PSU as it's a 750 B2 EVGA 80 plus Bronze power supply. Though my GPU is roughly 4 years old so I can kinda understand it crapping out... =\

Especially if you mined on it for 4 years, it is a good lifespan.

Especially if you mined on it for 4 years, it is a good lifespan.

I didn't mine on my 970 for 4 years, just a few weeks back in Jan/Feb

4 minutes ago, inZaniac said:

I didn't mine on my 970 for 4 years, just a few weeks back in Jan/Feb

Still 4 years for a card is good.

Still 4 years for a card is good.

yeah I mean, I had a 660 Ti last me more then 6 before so I was hoping the same would be said for my 970... kinda sucks that it's happened 6 (3?) months before the release of the 1100 series of GTX cards so if I get anything now it wouldn't really be worth it but at the same time, I can't game on this RX 550.