Any advice on losing weight?

Cyberspirit
23 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

There's a thing I'm curious about and that is, what will happen to the excess skin if I lose a significant amount of weight?

Because I'm around 110Kg at the moment so, I have quite a lot of fat on me.

Also, thanks for all the help so far! :x

This will largely depend on how quickly you lose the weight.

If you suddenly dump 30 kg in like a month, yeah you're gonna have large skin folds and sags. A doctor can remove them with surgery, but that may or may not cost you money, depending on your healthcare system. Plus any surgery has risk of complications.

If you lose the weight gradually, your skin has an opportunity to adapt - say, 5kg a month.

Keep in mind, your skin may not adapt even if you take it slow - there's no guarantees. You might still end up with excess skin.

But most importantly, ask this question to your doctor.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

There's a thing I'm curious about and that is, what will happen to the excess skin if I lose a significant amount of weight?

Because I'm around 110Kg at the moment so, I have quite a lot of fat on me.

Also, thanks for all the help so far! :x

Your skin will shrink so don’t worry. If not, you may just need to do weight training and fill the space left behind by the fat with muscle. 

Or else, you will have to go through surgery which isn’t ideal.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, Tcrumpen said:

I'm naturally very slim so i don't have any experience with loosing weight but what i've seen a lot of people do is diet incorrectly; first of all don't for example don't completely cut out carbs that not what you want to do. You want to use more calories than you're taking in

Set yourself a daily limit of calories (the RDA would be a good place to start) and try not to eat beyond that, on top of that you need to eat healthily and start exercising; hit the gym or start doing runs everyday

Get a "gym buddy" it's well known that when people try to loose weight together they are less likely to quit early; Rock Climbing is a good all over workout, but it can get very expensive climbing everyday

Cycling is a good thing to do, however that will mainly focus on the legs, you need to look at other exercise that will also work your upper half

What do you suggest for losing fat from my stomach? That's where it's most annoying.

I couldn't get myself to go to a gym not yet at least. Maybe I'll get thee one day but, I doubt it.

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This will largely depend on how quickly you lose the weight.

If you suddenly dump 30 kg in like a month, yeah you're gonna have large skin folds and sags. A doctor can remove them with surgery, but that may or may not cost you money, depending on your healthcare system. Plus any surgery has risk of complications.

If you lose the weight gradually, your skin has an opportunity to adapt - say, 5kg a month.

Keep in mind, your skin may not adapt even if you take it slow - there's no guarantees. You might still end up with excess skin.

But most importantly, ask this question to your doctor.

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Your skin will shrink so don’t worry. If not, you may just need to do weight training and fill the space left behind by the fat with muscle. 

Or else, you will have to go through surgery which isn’t ideal.

It's nice to know that there's a chance that my skin would adapt though I doubt that I'll lose too much weight at the start.

There are still a lot of things I need to figure out for sure but, I'm happy that I finally got bored of being extremely lazy.

Walking around actually feels nice and, while I have a hard time with people I still enjoy being outside more often.

Edited by Cyberspirit

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Ok, so you've gotten lots of great advice already, but there's something I haven't seen mentioned: time when you eat.

It's been proven that keeping the window of when you eat within a 10 hour period (start from your first consumption of anything other than water) can greatly improve your ability to lose weight/build lean muscle. You don't digest properly once you pass that point. Apparently 9 hours is best, but 10 is also excellent.

Something that's always worked for me is taking a brisk walk once a night. Or once every other day. I try to get 7km in at around an hour. Music definitely helps. Get good shoes.

Diet is of course important; if you eat loads of fat and sugar, you're going to go up and up in weight. So eating healthier is a great place to start, not to mention it's better for you in so many other ways.

Something no one's asked: how big are you? You don't want to start doing any kind of serious exercise if you're quite large, as you can cause damage. HIIT is an excellent way to lose some weight. If you can, work out in the morning before work, and when you get home/in the evening. Grab some free weights and start that as well. Muscle burns fat. Plus it'll make you look more appealing :P Push ups, sit ups, basic calisthenics are a great way to start the day.

Ultimately, your best to consider all the advice here, and see your doctor for the rest.

One thing I can't stress enough: Don't lose hope! It's not going to be something that happens quickly, and honestly you likely won't even really notice you're losing weight for months as it's usually a gradual thing and since you look at yourself every day, it's harder to see change.

Also, you're not trying to lose weight, you're trying to lose fat. An important difference to remember.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a physique I'd like to achieve, and I need to put in more effort to achieve it.

I think that's where most people fail. They're simply not willing to make the time to put in the work.

Sorry if that seemed a little scatterbrained. I added things as I thought of them.

On 5/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, BuckGup said:

Eat 2000 calories and burn 2500-3000 calories biking

That is an assload of biking :P

On 5/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, pipnina said:

You could gain a great deal just by walking. If you live in even a slightly hilly area just briskly walking will wear you out and give good exercise over the course of half an hour to an hour.

I also don't believe there is anything embarrassing about running. Though you would not be able to do that for very long, it will wear you out very quickly. Jogging and walking are probably better starting points.

If you merely walk for half an hour perhaps twice a day you will not only get good exercise for your cardio and stamina, but also improve your metabolism.

Regular walking honestly won't do much of anything, but brisk walking is definitely a good suggestion.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:00 PM, DrMacintosh said:

As long as you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight. 

Doesn't matter about your body type or anything else. Thermodynamics is law 

Actually, no. There are people that can do everything exactly right, and still be unable to lose weight. It can be a hormonal imbalance.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, wasab said:

I lost 40 pounds in 4 months, no kidding. Let me show you. 

Me before 

22754842?s=400&v=4

Me now

EEBECF34-81AE-4C62-B452-374692D013AB.jpeg 

Are there differences? 

It's always interesting seeing what people on the forum actually look like :P

It might be a shadow, but if you also shaved off the pedo mustache, good job!

On 5/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, wasab said:

Well, if you have calorie surplus then of course your body will turn it into fat but I am talking about cutting muscle mass lost while losing weight. I just don’t see how fat can increase. It can stay the same if the body is burning 100% protein which is impossible because body likes to burn energy from all three sources of protein, carb, and fat but increasing is like purely violating the laws of physics. 

My my diet plan has the following calories:

1L milk = 400. 3 eggs = 210

Salad with fat and vinegar I ball park it at 230.

28 oz chicken breasts = 658 calories

together is 1498 calories. For 2400 standard recommendation for adult male, that is enough to be burning fat, instead of gaining.

To be fair "standard recommendation" doesn't mean it's for everyone. That's the most common mistake people make when looking at that stuff. Humans are complex, and there's nothing standard about us. Everyone's different. It's also a huge guess, which is why it's different depending on what regulating body you ask ;)

On 5/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, dalekphalm said:

Yeah and if you're "chubby", you're probably eating a lot of calories. If you continue to eat the same amount of calories, you'll need to exercise a lot to balance it out. And keeping that exercise up for weeks, months, years, decades?

Moderate amounts of exercise per week is good for your health and your life expectancy. But it won't help much for keeping weight loss long term. It won't hurt either (assuming you are just doing moderate amounts), but exercise is not the key factor in weight loss.

I can confirm. Am chubby. Love food. Love sugar. Lift weights and walk 6 hours a day, don't lose weight.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:58 PM, dalekphalm said:

Do you have a source to back up this claim? According to an article in Scientific American:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/raw-veggies-are-healthier/

So while it doesn't mention grilling specifically, it does note that steaming and boiling broccoli helps to preserve nutrients - though they note that boiling is best.

Really? I always remember steaming being better because when you boil something, a lot of the nutrients are lost to the water, which is generally just dumped out after. Unless they've changed their beliefs. I still remember when eggs were horrible for you.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, 2Buck said:

I'm late to this, but I'll offer my advice anyway. I lost over 80 pounds in about a year and a half just by switching to a low carb diet. Basically, no sugar and lots of meat and greens. Didn't even do exercise or anything besides an occasional walk or hike. Sad thing is though, it's more of a life style change than a "in and out" diet. I basically stopped the diet last thanksgiving and I've gained back over 20 pounds since then and I feel like crap. From my understanding, the heavier you were at your worst, the easier your weight will come back if you let it go.

Correct. It's more of being at a higher weight for a longer period of time is bad. Your body sort of resets itself to that weight, and will fight you to get back to that weight once you've lost it. Almost like it thinks it's drastically underweight, even if it's not the case.

On 5/15/2018 at 2:40 PM, Teddy07 said:

I have set myself a goal: Only eat and drink for 6 € a day. I lost 4kg with that strategy in 3 weeks and I am not overweight. I also saved me money because I am used to 10 € a day. 

My new very challenging goal is to only spend 4 € a day for the next 3 weeks just because I like the challenge.

That's really not a great way to lose weight in a healthy way :P

14 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Depends how you do it. Go slow and you should be fine, if you're quite large you might require surgery...but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

8 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

What do you suggest for losing fat from my stomach? That's where it's most annoying.

I couldn't get myself to go to a gym not yet at least. Maybe I'll get thee one day but, I doubt it.

It's nice to know that there's a chance that my skin would adapt though I doubt that I'll lose too much weight at the start.

There are still a lot of things I need to figure out for sure but, I'm happy that I finally got bored of being extremely lazy.

Walking around actually feels nice and, while I have a hard time with people I still enjoy being outside more often.

You can't target weight loss. Just focus on losing weight over all. Also, if you plan to incorporate weights of any kind, keep in mind that the scale won't always tell the full story, as you'll gain muscle weight as well. Make sure it's brisk walking ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Actually, no. There are people that can do everything exactly right, and still be unable to lose weight. It can be a hormonal imbalance.

Hormones can only change how you metabolize, they can't break the laws of physics. Lol

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hormones can only change how you metabolize, they can't break the laws of physics. Lol

And yet it doesn't change the fact that they wouldn't lose the weight. How about that. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

And yet it doesn't change the fact that they wouldn't lose the weight. How about that. 

Just fix the hormone imbalance. We can do stuff like that. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Why don't you want to go to the gym; scared of being poked fun at? Screw those people you're there to get in better shape not to relive school days

But for loosing stomach fat you want exercises and sports that focus on core strength again Climbing is great for that; Horse riding is another but not as strenuous as some of the others, maybe even take up boxing or something

It's simple. Heres the TRUTH about weight loss. All it is is calories IN vs calories OUT. Put less calories in your body then it needs, it will be forced to burn fat reserves. No exercise required, however exercise should be about fitness NOT weight loss.

STEP 1: Download "My Fitness Pal" on your mobile device

STEP 2: Work out your required calories (age, height, activity level) http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

STEP 3: Based on the above calorie requirement, eg: 2400cal per day, subtract 200cal. Thus limiting total daily intake to 2200cal/day

This is known as a "caloric deficit", meaning you're burning more fuel then you're putting in. So the body over time will start to use fat reserves. As time goes on you will need to further limit your calories to maintain gradual weight loss, dropping incrementally at levels of 200cal until you reach your desired weight goal. Don't just go nuts and cut your calories in half, for it to be sustainable in the long run slow is best.

Its as simple as that. Eat what you wish but just stay within that calorie range and you'll lose weight.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, Cyberspirit said:

It's fairly well accepted that you don't have a choice of where fat is lost from. It's just random. The only way to lose fat from the stomach is to lose fat. Doing ab excerices for example, won't make you burn fat from your stomach faster than other exercises where you burn the same calories. Just how it is

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

You don't need any supplements, you just need to get your diet in order. 

A lot of information here already but I'll add my 2 cents.

The key in my view is to have consistency and discipline in order to alter your habits. Forget all these specific diets or hardcore training routines, you already know how to lose weight but they sound like so much work. It can take 2 to 3 months or more to change habits yet people usually go on a diet or exercise for a period just less than required to make it a habit, the result being they give up and go back to square one. 

Don't set a goal to lose a specific weight each month, you can't directly control that so it becomes difficult to achieve resulting in a loss of enthusiasm if not attained. Instead set goals to change your habits and the weight loss will naturally follow. 

For most people it's difficult to jump in cold turkey. For example, I quit smoking but gradually, changing my habit from 10 a day to 5. Then once that felt normal I cut down to 2 a day, then 1, then pretty much quit all together. It was still difficult but I know I would have failed going cold turkey. I think most people trying to lose weight should do the same as they often have all the enthusiasm for the first week and hit the gym, eat healthy and feel great but by week 3 or 4 that enthusiasm has faded dramatically.

So be careful not to take on more than you can endure. Eventually all those small changes will add up in significance with far less hardship along the way. Once each change becomes a habit it's easy, for life! but you still need some mental discipline to make them stick in the first place.

Just quickly went through the thread and haven't seen anybody mention swimming. It burns some of the most fat and IMHO is the best cardio. You should even be able to swim in open pools in these hotter days, couple that up with weight training and you're on the right track.

I know this isn’t an option for a lot of city dwellings but yard work will shed some lbs naturally and regular enough to maintain keeping trim, it’s also more rewarding than hamster wheeling it at the gym imho.  

Plenty of easy ways to find some physical outdoor labor through either volunteer or paid gigs if your focus is a regular healthy routine rather than the money.

14 hours ago, Speedyv said:

This is all you need to know bro:

Before Elliot embrassed werid esoteric shit.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

15 hours ago, Speedyv said:

This is all you need to know bro:

He can’t say that with a shirt on?

Depression is a great way. I've been losing about 4-6kg (don't know what it is in 'murican) per month over the last 3 months. Not sure it is healthy though.

1 hour ago, ouroesa said:

Depression is a great way. I've been losing about 4-6kg (don't know what it is in 'murican) per month over the last 3 months. Not sure it is healthy though.

Yotally genious!

You sir have gained the award for the “best” advice that I’ve seen so far on this thread... and that already says a lot!

“Try to get depressed for a a few months and the pounds will disappear before your eyes!”

:-D

5 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Yotally genious!

You sir have gained the award for the “best” advice that I’ve seen so far on this thread... and that already says a lot!

“Try to get depressed for a a few months and the pounds will disappear before your eyes!”

:-D

Yup, sarcasm is the only sense of humor I have left. 

5 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

Yup, sarcasm is the only sense of humor I have left. 

Hey... nothing wrong with a healthy portion of sarcasm every day :-D

15 hours ago, ouroesa said:

1kg = 2.204lb (i.e. 2.2lb for just about any conversion)

I rarely use lb myself but Americans make being able to do a quick conversion in your head quite useful.

P.S. Hope your situation improves.

I decided to get in shape a while ago too.

This (Beginner's Health and Fitness Guide) is by far the best guide I have found. It cuts out all the bullshit, backs up claims with actual science (mostly from articles from the UK national health service).

It's important to read all of it, but here is the quick summary:

1) Don't expect quick results. Think long-term, like years from now.

2) Don't do stupid diets which will never hold in the long run.

3) You won't lose weight by excising. Your weight is almost entirely based on your diet. However, excising will ensure that you become sleek, sexy and healthy while losing weight, rather than become flabby (aka "skinny fat").

4) Don't eat too little. Again, you need to find reasonable eating habits that you think you can keep doing for a long time (a year or more). Too strict diets or too much exercise will just result in you getting burned out, quitting and feeling bad.