PotPlayer Extensive Guide For Best Video Quality

Hello everyone!

This guide will focus on optimising PotPlayer for best video quality. For those who're not yet familiar with PotPlayer, it's similar to MPC-HC or VLC players, but offers a simpler design and UI with powerful post processing tools that make videos look cleaner, sharper and richer in colour. That is my personal opinion, I've only done a comparison between it and the VLC player so I am biased in this regard.

This guide has 3 sections. First one focuses on settings everyone should enable, regardless on the power of their system, since they're not very resource intensive. Second section focuses on settings you can enable if you have a strong system (specially on the GPU side) and the third section focuses on settings for lower tier systems. I have a desktop setup with i7-6700k@4.7ghz and GTX1070 with my laptop running i7-4710HQ and GTX860M. Those are my reference points for a high end and low end system. GPUs are the most important here, since we'll be focusing on utilising them for video upscaling, as well as running multiple post processing filters with them. Disclaimer: Settings I will show you and work best for me will stress your system (particularly GPU) - this is not a battery friendly way to watch videos. With that said, lets get right into it.

Section 1

When you install a 64bit PotPlayer version (which you can do here) make sure to download all addons in the installation process. After you install it, make sure to set Nvidia as its primary graphics processor if you're running it on laptop, since it defaults to integrated graphics. (If you don't know how to do that, click here)

Open PotPlayer and click on three horizontal bars in the top left corner. After menu opens, click on preferences.

1. On the left side click on "playback" and under "process priority" on the right side of the window select "high" instead of "Above normal" - if you want to allocate more resources to playback. I didn't, and it's fine.

2. Click on the plus icon next to the "Filter control" on the left side of the window and select "Video decoder", as the option column expands. Click on "Built-in Video Codec/DXVA Settings" in the mid bottom of the window and check boxes as in the picture (Under DXVA2 copy-back settings select Your external GPU)

press okay and apply settings. This settings makes your GPU render all video.

5af0d8fa1a839_Screenshot(22).png.aa7dd2ba95e377d74e70e098b3dfc4f3.png

3. Under "Audio Decoder" tab go to "Built-in Audio Codec/Pass-through Settings" and mimic what I've done (this is where you need those addons you downloaded during PotPlayer installation) After you're done, click okay and apply settings.

5af0d91b950c6_Screenshot(24).png.7bcc66e5a85f08c9c06c88e480d30b66.png

4. Click on "Video" on the left side of the window and under "Video Renderer" select "Madashi Video Renderer" or MadVR, as I'll be referring to it (You'll have to select it again once you leave preferences by clicking on "show main menu" button top left > video > video renderer > Madashi Video Renderer). Below under "Fullscreen exclusive mode" select disable, if not already selected. Under "Deinterlacing" tab on the top select "use hardware deinterlacing" under the Deinterlacing Method. Under "Effects" tab on the top far right (you might have to click on the arrows to move the tabs) check the "Deblock" box (and leave the slider at 256) and "deband" box on the bottom. Apply settings.

5. Click on "Audio" on the left side of the window and change settings as shown in this screenshot. Apply settings. (You don't have to do this, my headphones are compatible with 24bit 96khz sample rate)

5af0f0d0cee30_Screenshot(55).png.99ab3ebd2af739135c17760e62210cb6.png

Section 2

We're now going to change a couple of settings in MadVR settings. I'll first do the "high end" config and "lower end" after that, but you can always mix them together to find what suits you best. I'll tell you as I go along - what worked for me and the performance hit it has, so you'll be able to figure out if you want to do anything differently.

Under "Video" tab, press on 3 dots right of the MadVR option and press "Edit Settings". New window will pop up. We'll first change some options that stay unchanged between the high and lower end config. Do as shown in screenshots.

5af0e3a89362d_Screenshot(35).png.f227761d38ded94cba5b97872115096f.png5af0e399e9852_Screenshot(37).png.d423167f0b98ab3d74f4600f06c0c6af.png

I hope these screenshots make it easy for you to coordinate yourself in settings. They can be very frustrating to navigate until you're not used to them. Now for the part where configs start to differ. These are screenshots for a config with similar power to my desktop config (i7-6700k+GTX1070). 

5af0e67e9b18d_Screenshot(45).png.262673cc51b096abff46e41664219a0a.png

Troubleshooting for higher end config:

If you're dropping frames, decrease the number of neurons under "chroma upscaling" to 64. If you still drop frames, decrease number of neurons under "image upscaling" > algorithm quality to 32. If you're still dropping frames, change upscaling method under "image upscaling" from NNEDI3 to Lanczos and configure it the same in the screenshot for image downscaling. Anything easier to run than that already falls into "lower end" config imo.

Section 3

These settings can be used on almost all laptops with any sort of discrete GPU. I'll start by showing you the settings I have on my laptop (i7-4710HQ+GTX860M). After that, I'll present you with some alternatives that are easier to run but also produce worse results. 

5af0ea80031e2_Screenshot(53).png.c782db1b3c9cc25c178d959696af9126.png4

At this point, everything should run smoothly, but if not: Decrease number of neurons under "chroma upscaling" to 32. If you experience dropped frames still, switch from NNEDI3 pixel shader code to Lanczos and configure it the same as shown in screenshot for "image upscaling". If that lags as well, change "image upscaling" from Lanczos to DXVA2. Even the weakest systems should run this smoothly. The load on the system is same as VLC player at that point.

I hope I made everything understandable. After hours of digging through this guy's SITE , I tried my best to pick up on the important stuff and present it as simply as possible. I'm open for questions - I can help you out if you have any problems during the optimisation process. Thank you for reading.

Additional notes: I am in no way an expert on this topic nor do I fully understand the program. I kept this simple (among other things) for my sanity as well, since there are so many options you can choose from with minimal differences it's really difficult to decide and understand what works together best and what doesn't. End result is very good in my opinion - better colour science, sharper, cleaner video with less artifacts and noise.

• 2 months later...

I've been using this player since it came out and I agree with you, it's strongest player I ever seen for Windows in my opinion with a LOT options & nice interface.

• 1 month later...

I have a question, if by default I select MadVR without trying anything from section 2 and 3 will the video performance be better or should I go back?

Thanks for making this extensive guide. This guide is well written and PotPlayer is itself a solid player and I never understood the hype about VLC, maybe because its open source?

• 3 months later...

I really love that... thank you!!! I have an Alienware 13R3 with OLED display and nVidia 1060 looking for the best and highest video quality.

I would ask you how to get at work the plug-in NNEDI3 as I have no it available in the options. How can I install it?

I don't have the option for NNED13 when I go to "chroma upscaling" and "image upscaling" in madVR settings. Where do I go to install it?

@Mabus @sev7en

Hello there. Sorry for the delay

While NNEDI3 option still works on older hardware (Maxwell based GPUs and older), the feature has been removed for the Pascal based GPUs and replaced with a new, faster algorithm called NGU (offers similar quality for lesser performance hit), which should be available. pick "Anti-Alias, very high quality" or "Standard, very high quality" - you can also play around with the other presets to see what works for you.

Cheers! :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the help. I have a problem, when playing a video, it makes weird sounds. How can I solve that?

• 3 months later...

I can't open the madshi video renderer option, i press the 3 dots and nothing opens?

madshi is only supported with 32bit players, i had same problem as Cottontails i push the 3 dots and nothing happens so i did a search and it said madshi thing is only supported on 32bit player so idk.....ok i found the madvr stuff just download the zip unzip it where you want it,run the install.bat file and now you can use the 3 dots to configure the madshi!!!

http://www.madvr.com/

• 7 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 3:40 AM, Light-Yagami said:

Hello everyone!

This guide will focus on optimising PotPlayer for best video quality. For those who're not yet familiar with PotPlayer, it's similar to MPC-HC or VLC players, but offers a simpler design and UI with powerful post processing tools that make videos look cleaner, sharper and richer in colour. That is my personal opinion, I've only done a comparison between it and the VLC player so I am biased in this regard.

This guide has 3 sections. First one focuses on settings everyone should enable, regardless on the power of their system, since they're not very resource intensive. Second section focuses on settings you can enable if you have a strong system (specially on the GPU side) and the third section focuses on settings for lower tier systems. I have a desktop setup with i7-6700k@4.7ghz and GTX1070 with my laptop running i7-4710HQ and GTX860M. Those are my reference points for a high end and low end system. GPUs are the most important here, since we'll be focusing on utilising them for video upscaling, as well as running multiple post processing filters with them. Disclaimer: Settings I will show you and work best for me will stress your system (particularly GPU) - this is not a battery friendly way to watch videos. With that said, lets get right into it.

Section 1

When you install a 64bit PotPlayer version (which you can do here) make sure to download all addons in the installation process. After you install it, make sure to set Nvidia as its primary graphics processor if you're running it on laptop, since it defaults to integrated graphics. (If you don't know how to do that, click here)

Open PotPlayer and click on three horizontal bars in the top left corner. After menu opens, click on preferences.

1. On the left side click on "playback" and under "process priority" on the right side of the window select "high" instead of "Above normal" - if you want to allocate more resources to playback. I didn't, and it's fine.

2. Click on the plus icon next to the "Filter control" on the left side of the window and select "Video decoder", as the option column expands. Click on "Built-in Video Codec/DXVA Settings" in the mid bottom of the window and check boxes as in the picture (Under DXVA2 copy-back settings select Your external GPU)

press okay and apply settings. This settings makes your GPU render all video.

5af0d8fa1a839_Screenshot(22).png.aa7dd2ba95e377d74e70e098b3dfc4f3.png

3. Under "Audio Decoder" tab go to "Built-in Audio Codec/Pass-through Settings" and mimic what I've done (this is where you need those addons you downloaded during PotPlayer installation) After you're done, click okay and apply settings.

5af0d91b950c6_Screenshot(24).png.7bcc66e5a85f08c9c06c88e480d30b66.png

4. Click on "Video" on the left side of the window and under "Video Renderer" select "Madashi Video Renderer" or MadVR, as I'll be referring to it (You'll have to select it again once you leave preferences by clicking on "show main menu" button top left > video > video renderer > Madashi Video Renderer). Below under "Fullscreen exclusive mode" select disable, if not already selected. Under "Deinterlacing" tab on the top select "use hardware deinterlacing" under the Deinterlacing Method. Under "Effects" tab on the top far right (you might have to click on the arrows to move the tabs) check the "Deblock" box (and leave the slider at 256) and "deband" box on the bottom. Apply settings.

5. Click on "Audio" on the left side of the window and change settings as shown in this screenshot. Apply settings. (You don't have to do this, my headphones are compatible with 24bit 96khz sample rate)

5af0f0d0cee30_Screenshot(55).png.99ab3ebd2af739135c17760e62210cb6.png

Section 2

We're now going to change a couple of settings in MadVR settings. I'll first do the "high end" config and "lower end" after that, but you can always mix them together to find what suits you best. I'll tell you as I go along - what worked for me and the performance hit it has, so you'll be able to figure out if you want to do anything differently.

Under "Video" tab, press on 3 dots right of the MadVR option and press "Edit Settings". New window will pop up. We'll first change some options that stay unchanged between the high and lower end config. Do as shown in screenshots.

5af0e3a89362d_Screenshot(35).png.f227761d38ded94cba5b97872115096f.png5af0e399e9852_Screenshot(37).png.d423167f0b98ab3d74f4600f06c0c6af.png

I hope these screenshots make it easy for you to coordinate yourself in settings. They can be very frustrating to navigate until you're not used to them. Now for the part where configs start to differ. These are screenshots for a config with similar power to my desktop config (i7-6700k+GTX1070). 

5af0e67e9b18d_Screenshot(45).png.262673cc51b096abff46e41664219a0a.png

Troubleshooting for higher end config:

If you're dropping frames, decrease the number of neurons under "chroma upscaling" to 64. If you still drop frames, decrease number of neurons under "image upscaling" > algorithm quality to 32. If you're still dropping frames, change upscaling method under "image upscaling" from NNEDI3 to Lanczos and configure it the same in the screenshot for image downscaling. Anything easier to run than that already falls into "lower end" config imo.

Section 3

These settings can be used on almost all laptops with any sort of discrete GPU. I'll start by showing you the settings I have on my laptop (i7-4710HQ+GTX860M). After that, I'll present you with some alternatives that are easier to run but also produce worse results. 

5af0ea80031e2_Screenshot(53).png.c782db1b3c9cc25c178d959696af9126.png4

At this point, everything should run smoothly, but if not: Decrease number of neurons under "chroma upscaling" to 32. If you experience dropped frames still, switch from NNEDI3 pixel shader code to Lanczos and configure it the same as shown in screenshot for "image upscaling". If that lags as well, change "image upscaling" from Lanczos to DXVA2. Even the weakest systems should run this smoothly. The load on the system is same as VLC player at that point.

I hope I made everything understandable. After hours of digging through this guy's SITE , I tried my best to pick up on the important stuff and present it as simply as possible. I'm open for questions - I can help you out if you have any problems during the optimisation process. Thank you for reading.

Additional notes: I am in no way an expert on this topic nor do I fully understand the program. I kept this simple (among other things) for my sanity as well, since there are so many options you can choose from with minimal differences it's really difficult to decide and understand what works together best and what doesn't. End result is very good in my opinion - better colour science, sharper, cleaner video with less artifacts and noise.

I used your settings but I haven't got any sound.

• 3 months later...

For vidеоs of 720р quаlity or bеtter, the piсture looks grаiny. Dashеd linеs are displаyed instеad of strаight ones. Setting аspect rаtio to 1.0х sоlves the issuе, but then frаmes get crоpped at the sidеs. Only reduсing a vidеo to 0.5х hеlps, but then it’s hаrd to see smаll dаtails. Fullscrееning, scаling, selecting other vidеo rendеrers from videо submеnu do not chаnge anything (the zip frоm madvr.com was of no hеlp either). You can view the dеtails here: http://images2.imagebam.com/78/ba/54/6983d61345868730.gif

• 1 month later...

colors look washed out with hdr 4k movie, any help?

@gorditogr, do you have an HDR capable monitor? If not, you can use the Madshi video renderer to convert the colours so they appear correctly on your non HDR monitor.

The Madshi video renderer can be obtained here:

When you've installed madVR, in PotPlayer go to:

Settings > Video > Select 'Madshi Video Renderer'

207349779_EBFA2BBD-A758-44C0-9569-F319030231E8.thumb.png.ea0db4808261d190015c65b511bfa32a.png

8 hours ago, RainfallWithin said:

@gorditogr, do you have an HDR capable monitor? If not, you can use the Madshi video renderer to convert the colours so they appear correctly on your non HDR monitor.

The Madshi video renderer can be obtained here:

When you've installed madVR, in PotPlayer go to:

Settings > Video > Select 'Madshi Video Renderer'

207349779_EBFA2BBD-A758-44C0-9569-F319030231E8.thumb.png.ea0db4808261d190015c65b511bfa32a.png

I have a HDR tv and hdr on in windows settings. I have potplayer + madvr (i followed the guide precisely)

But colors look washed with madvr, but when i chose the built in renderer in potplayer, colors look ok

7 hours ago, gorditogr said:

I have a HDR tv and hdr on in windows settings. I have potplayer + madvr (i followed the guide precisely)

But colors look washed with madvr, but when i chose the built in renderer in potplayer, colors look ok

Click on the menu button (3 dots) next to Madshi Video Renderer to open madVR's settings.

Expand the menu next to your monitor/TV's name and click on HDR. I think you should select 'passthrough HDR to display'.

1636991394_25C9C352-FDD8-463D-9E7A-867DD1A1A7CD.thumb.png.22327f177a090c8641be18adbec03608.png

46 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

Click on the menu button (3 dots) next to Madshi Video Renderer to open madVR's settings.

Expand the menu next to your monitor/TV's name and click on HDR. I think you should select 'passthrough HDR to display'.

1636991394_25C9C352-FDD8-463D-9E7A-867DD1A1A7CD.thumb.png.22327f177a090c8641be18adbec03608.png

Did it, still washed out colors

5 hours ago, gorditogr said:

Did it, still washed out colors

When playing HDR videos on your TV from your computer, test to see if an HDR video looks washed out when playing in a PotPlayer window, and also test it when PotPlayer is in fullscreen mode, using the Madshi Video Renderer both times of course.

I came across this post, so that's why I'm suggesting this test:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1810891#post1810891

On 7/25/2020 at 7:07 AM, RainfallWithin said:

When playing HDR videos on your TV from your computer, test to see if an HDR video looks washed out when playing in a PotPlayer window, and also test it when PotPlayer is in fullscreen mode, using the Madshi Video Renderer both times of course.

I came across this post, so that's why I'm suggesting this test:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1810891#post1810891

Still washed out 

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure if it's because of the "splitter"/"renderer", but I can't seem to move my subtitles at all. When I move up (default hotkey Alt + Up), I get the blue GUI updating and saying the position in %, but the actual subtitles don't move. 

This is a problem when zooming in (hardcoded black letterbox videos on my 21:9 monitor), the subtitles go out of frame.

Do you perhaps know how to fix this?

• 3 months later...

This article is so complete and awsome! 

This part, doesnt work for me: "Under "Video" tab, press on 3 dots right of the MadVR option and press "Edit Settings". New window will pop up."

The 3 dots doesnt do anything, nor open a pop up window. I have the latest version of Potplayer. What could be going on? Thanks

player.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/3/2021 at 15:39, Phill.bu said:

Questo articolo è così completo e fantastico! 

Questa parte, per me, non funziona: "Nella scheda " Video ", premi su 3 punti a destra dell'opzione MadVR e premi" Modifica impostazioni ". Apparirà una nuova finestra."

I 3 punti non fanno nulla, né aprono una finestra pop-up. Ho l'ultima versione di Potplayer. Cosa potrebbe succedere? Grazie

player.png

You must install MadVR.

You can download it here https://www.videohelp.com/software/madVR

Unzip the file in a folder that you haven't to change and click on Install.bat file.

• 6 months later...

That "NNEDI3" isn't showing on the latest version of PotPlayer. Any alternative to that settings?

• CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 - Motherboard : ASUS TUF x570 GAMING PLUS WiFi - RAM : Corsair Vengence LPX 16 GB 3200 MHz x 2 - GPU : Zotac GeForce GTX 1660Ti Non-AMP - Case : Corsair Graphite Series 760T - Storage : GIGABYTE M.2 PCIe SSD 256GB ; Seagate Barracuda 4 TB 5400 RPM ; Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM - PSU : Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum - Display(s) : LG 24” FHD IPS 3-Side Borderless Monitor with Dual HDMI -  Keyboard : A4 Tech - Mouse : A4 Tech - Sound : Microlab TMN1 4:1 - Operating System : Windows 10 64 bit version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.4046)

• 5 months later...

In my experience, setting HW acceleration in decoding, causes worse video quality, than software decompression, so doing that and then using filters to compensate it, seems a bit ridiculous and in the end still doesn't result in the same picture quality. In fact small details like skin defects, moles, pores and hairs are lost in the process and smoothed over by the filters until peoples' faces become like wax figures. Even the best madVR settings can't fix the loss of information caused by hardware decompression.

Now, simply switching the video renderer to madVR, without touching the video decoder settings, does make a difference, though it's not perfect. Image does become a bit sharper and more detailed, but if it contains artifacts they also become more pronounced and noticeable. So the source quality matters a lot.

Just to cover my bases - im using Intel® HD Graphics 4600. Newer DAs may have better HW decoders.

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2021 at 1:20 PM, vitgar83 said:

You must install MadVR.

You can download it here https://www.videohelp.com/software/madVR

Unzip the file in a folder that you haven't to change and click on Install.bat file.

Still not working how can I install the zip folder?( I did click on Install .bat file.)