mATX case for little brother?

Okjoek

My brother has an mATX haswell system with an EVGA GTX 1070 dual fan card. His PC is built inside an old HP Inspiron case

This is the same case on Google Images:

DSC09090w.jpg

His GTX 1070 overheats because there's no intake fan at the front. It doesn't look like there's really any room to add any sort of good intake fan there either due to the awful position of the power on-off button. At best I might be able to jerry-rig a 90mm fan there if I decide to work with the case he has.

Next issue is there's also no floor ventilation which I feel his GPU may benefit from.

Next is the cable management. I thought my Antec VSK4000-E was hard to cable-manage. This thing is much worse.

There's no window which is simply a modern PC staple, RGB or not. I mean unless he wanted to keep the "sleeper" aesthetic, but IMO a window system can be made to look professional too.

Finally the drive mounting is weird and gets in the way of GPU in one of the spots.

Any ideas as to what mATX case can improve some of these issues? Some I've taken note of are:

https://www.amazon.com/APEVIA-X-QPACK3-WHT-Supports-Windows-Filter-White/dp/B017AELS4K/ref=sr_1_48?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525645306&sr=1-48&keywords=mATX%2Bcase&th=1 (current favorite)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F29JP4/?tag=pcpapi-20 (really good price)

https://www.amazon.com/H400i-Micro-ATX-Computer-White-CA-H400W-WB/dp/B0762T54FD/ref=sr_1_91?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525647505&sr=1-91&keywords=mATX+case (super expensive, looks great, but no external 5.25 bay?)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01550Y9GA/?tag=pcpapi-20  Close second favorite.

Any suggestions? I just wanted to get him this before summer temperatures hit any harder.

What temperatures is the GPU actually reaching?

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

What temperatures is the GPU actually reaching?

I'll see if I can find out, but as of now IDK, just his word.

I vote for the first one, unless this is for his birthday or something you should ask which one he likes.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

7 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

I vote for the first one, unless this is for his birthday or something you should ask which one he likes.

Actually his BD is in August so I was going to make it an early present he could enjoy after the school year is over.

the Sama maxcool is $45 or so, it has a PSU shroud so you can just cram the cables in there or in the drive cage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I'd totally mod that case, cut a hole for a bottom intake, remove most of that side metal and only keep the 5.25 bays for the ODD and a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter for the HDD, cable management.. I've seen worse, nothing a couple zip ties can't fix. I don't like windows at all but if the side panel is solid you could cut a window too.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I like the first one. I really like cube cases though. I have a Corsair Air 540 for my personal rig and my GF's case is a Rosewill Neutron ITX. The cube shape makes cable management easy and from what I've witnessed, can help a lot with thermals.

That being said, as cool as it would be to surprise him, maybe figure out a budget you're comfortable with and let him choose from there. Unless you're really in tune with your brother, it may be best to just let him choose it. 

Came across this one just this morning. It's a fairly new case (and a fair bit larger than the Apevia) but it's got a 200mm fan at the front and comes in five different colors (the red one kinda looks "iron man" themed"

Rexgear 1 Micro ATX Cube

Cant wholeheartedly recommend it since it's not reviewed by anyone notable, but if you do go with it LMK how it all goes. Initial reviews on amazon are positive but thats like trusting WCCFTech as a creditable news source :^)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the Sama maxcool is $45 or so, it has a PSU shroud so you can just cram the cables in there or in the drive cage.

That looks really nice. Though it actually looks really huge for an mATX case

10 hours ago, aezakmi said:

I'd totally mod that case, cut a hole for a bottom intake, remove most of that side metal and only keep the 5.25 bays for the ODD and a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter for the HDD, cable management.. I've seen worse, nothing a couple zip ties can't fix. I don't like windows at all but if the side panel is solid you could cut a window too.

I'm just debating in the bill of materials would justify the cost over just getting a new case entirely. To mod this case I would like a new case fan, metal cutting disks for my Dremel 4000 (I used the last of them on my last project), some zip-ties and ontop of all that his side panel is an absolute mess from some LAN party he took it to. I'd be removing permanent marker and yes, spray paint from a botched attempt of his to make Adidas stripes. I'd probably want to buy some clear acrylic and some nuts + bolts to mount it as a window. I have a strong feeling these things would cost the price of a brand new case anyway.

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Came across this one just this morning. It's a fairly new case (and a fair bit larger than the Apevia) but it's got a 200mm fan at the front and comes in five different colors (the red one kinda looks "iron man" themed"

Rexgear 1 Micro ATX Cube

Cant wholeheartedly recommend it since it's not reviewed by anyone notable, but if you do go with it LMK how it all goes. Initial reviews on amazon are positive but thats like trusting WCCFTech as a creditable news source :^)

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think he's really into all the weird "gamer-y" angles either, but he might enjoy all the drive space on the Rexgear one. The CM one doesn't look like it has a lot of ventilation.

Update: 

Successfully removed all spray paint & Permanent marker from my brother's current side panel. Took almost 2 hours, but looks nice and fresh.