How to "downgrade" from win 10 home to win 10s ?

KenjiUmino

is there a way to do it?

i have a friend who is VERY ignorant about computer and internet things and i think windows 10s would be more ideal for her because 10s offers less options to fuck up, install potentially dangerous or annoying shit that i would have to fix eventually and all that.

there is not much requirement for non-windows-store software on her laptop any more now that she "needs" ms word anyways because other word processors have the same functions in different spots on buttons in different colors than what she has been taught and just figuring the differences out is asking too much apparently.  

8 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

Apparently it will arrive as its own "mode" in 2019 or so.

It's obvious that you friendo hasn't actually looked beyond the headline when concerning Windows 10 S. But this is worth the read: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/test-windows10s-for-edu

Especially this part:

Before you install Windows 10 in S mode, be aware that non-Microsoft Store apps will not work, peripherals that require custom drivers may not work, and other errors may occur. In particular, this release of Windows 10 in S mode:

This is pretty good too:

You can install Windows 10 in S mode on devices running other editions of Windows 10. For more information, see Supported devices. However, we don't recommend installing Windows 10 in S mode on Windows 10 Home devices as you won't be able to activate it.

So if your friendo wants their peripherals to stop working and the inability to activate it then fire ahead. Have fun!

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You can't.. not yet at least (Windows 10 S is discontinued, and MS said they plan to introduce "S Mode" on all editions)

But what you can do for now, is Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & Features, at the top, you have an option that allows you to lock the system down to Store apps only. Any FUTURE programs and games not from the store cannot run. So she can enjoy Chrome/Firefox but can't get image.jpg.exe from an email and run it. The feature works really well from my tests. As it allows originally installed programs, so no driver issues, and you can get whatever program you want while protecting yourself

I feel like if someone isn't quite computer literate, if you configure the OS to be more restrictive, they'll just complain how "stupid" the OS is for not letting them do what they want. :/

"Why won't Windows let me open this image? It's clearly an image file! Windows is just dumb"

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I feel like if someone isn't quite computer literate, if you configure the OS to be more restrictive, they'll just complain how "stupid" the OS is for not letting them do what they want. :/

"Why won't Windows let me open this image? It's clearly an image file! Windows is just dumb"

Well, Windows shows a pop-up that explains everything.
Under Windows 10 S:

Windows10S_Fig1.jpg.5d02bf9e442951e5976e7af7f1e9591f.jpg

Under Windows 10 non-S but with the option I mentioned enabled:

Image1.png.af801c71f9f96433bbabf4aa46dc19e0.png

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

But what you can do for now, is Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & Features, at the top, you have an option that allows you to lock the system down to Store apps only. Any FUTURE programs and games not from the store cannot run. So she can enjoy Chrome/Firefox but can't get image.jpg.exe from an email and run it. 

thanks for the tip, i will look into that