2.5" SATA SSD Not Recognized

r3loAded
Go to solution Solved by r3loAded,

didn't worked

I think I found the issue:

I tried something else and found that I had a similar issue like jayz2cents. with the power cable from the HDD I can see the SSD in bios. with the other power cable the SSD is not visible. Tried different SSDs and they all work

The power cable from the power supply is faulty. Huh. Feel better now :)

As the title says the SSD is not visible in bios nor when trying to install windows.

Components: Asus Z270 TUF Mark 1 mobo, i7-7700k. 16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 Kit 2x8GB, SSD WD Green 240GB (but even with brand new SSD wouldn't work)

Tried so far:

- every SATA connector on the motherboard

- the SATA HDD is visible on any SATA connector

- reset BIOS

- updated BIOS

- different SSDs

- different SATA cables

Previously in the system a Samsung 960 Evo NMVE 500gb was installed and worked. But when trying to add another SSD (2.5" one) it wouldn't detect.

What should I try? :(

Thanks in advance.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

is that m.2 slot occupied? is there a SATA port in use that is deactivated with the presence of a m.2 device? 

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

is that m.2 slot occupied? is there a SATA port in use that is deactivated with the presence of a m.2 device? 

at the moment no. just the SATA HDD installed. I even removed the SATA HDD and installed just the 2.5" ssd and nothing.

according to the mobo manual, yes, 1 sata port will be disabled but the nvme is removed and the only storage is the 2.5" ssd now and no sight of it

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I know on my asus prime-a board that has 2 m.2 slots, if one of them is occupied and set to ssd then all the ports work, it it is set to pci-e then one of the sata ports is disabled.  Check you manual and see if this does the same on your board.

2 minutes ago, mmk said:

I know on my asus prime-a board that has 2 m.2 slots, if one of them is occupied and set to ssd then all the ports work, it it is set to pci-e then one of the sata ports is disabled.  Check you manual and see if this does the same on your board.

there is no m.2 ocupied at the moment. the bios was reset to defaults. what should I look for?

found a newer BIOS version. flashing now.

really hope that it works as I need to sell this PC tomorrow :(

didn't worked

I think I found the issue:

I tried something else and found that I had a similar issue like jayz2cents. with the power cable from the HDD I can see the SSD in bios. with the other power cable the SSD is not visible. Tried different SSDs and they all work

The power cable from the power supply is faulty. Huh. Feel better now :)