Looking for help picking out water cooling components for a custom loop

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fZ9Ygw

Hey all,

above I have my pc part picker list which are in my current build. Currently my CPU is at 4.6ghz and and the temps are totally in check but I think it would be fun to try my hand at a custom loop. I am willing to do either soft or rigid tubing but rigid tubing is more difficult so that may be out of the question. I am looking to do a loop with my gpu and cpu and would prefer to order from mostly all one brand(for simplicity).

If anyone could give me a list of things I'll need to do a good job on this project that would be very much appreciated. Thank you again!

Firstly go rigid from the off set. Honestly. If you are even considering it now, then once you have finished your loop you will wish you went rigid, problem is you cant use fittings from soft for rigid so then you need new fittings. I made these mistakes but was lucky enough to be sponsored by Primochill when I switched to rigid. As a side note to this, I have tried EK, Alphacool and Primochill PETG tubing and without a doubt Primochill's was the easiest to work with. So what do you need?

Radiators

Go with 120mm per component in your loop + 120mm - this is the minimum. More rad space = better cooling/lower fan speeds, that doesn't mean go with 8 480mm radiators for a cpu loop xD. Something sensible for a CPU + say a 1080ti and VRMs would be a 360 + 240mm, this is a nice compromise. I have 120 + 240 + 360 for vrms, CPU and a 1080, the 120mm was added purely for aesthetics. People tend to prefer Hardware Lab radiators and I agree with that. (consider material type, aka aluminium/copper/nickel - ill explain at the end)

Pump / Reservoir 

Go with PWM and if you can (again from experience) go with a D5 as they tend to be quieter than DDC. As for brand, it doesn't really matter, go with what you think looks good, I honestly think the light tower from Alphacool is the best looking pump/res combo but I prefer the look of a separate pump and reservoir - so a D5 + pump top to suit your look and then a separate reservoir (remember this will require an extra 2x fittings)

Fans

Go with High Static, Noctua are about the best, Noiseblocker are up there also - Thermaltake have the best looking with their Riing series imo. Remember if you with 140/240/420mm radiators to get 140mm fans.

Blocks 

Ive always gone EK, no real reason why, Heatkiller looks amazing and bitspower are also nice, Thermaltake have also started to release a range of blocks. I guess I go with EK as they tend to have a wider range of available blocks for boards, GPU and CPU's. (consider material type, aka aluminium/copper/nickel - ill explain at the end)

Fittings

People will say go with the same manufacturer for tubing and fittings - sound advice. You can mix and match, just make sure the internal fittings are the same, aka 12/10 tubing will need 12mm fittings, 13/10 will need 13mm fittings - compression is the easiest to work with and of course as i said, rigid and flex use different fittings. As for the amount, its 2 fittings per component +2 and a DRAIN VALVE (don't forget this or you will have problems come maintenance) - More important for rigid, but still useful for flex - 45/90 degree fittings - some bends are just too tight, even for flex so plan your loop and think about how many you will need. If you go rigid tubing you will need a heat gun and a silicone insert for your tubing (same manufacturer as the tubing as they all use ever so slightly difference internal dimensions).

That's about it - as for material type - don't buy aluminium blocks and mix with copper/nickel blocks or vice versa as this leads to bi-metallic corrosion in your loop - stick to the same material type. Lastly do research on the coolant you want to use, different ones react differently, I had issues with Red Pastel in two loops (separate builds) - blue has been solid. Other people have had issues with Vue whilst others haven't - basically plan your loop, identify your components then see if there are any known issues on other forums for that coolant and your parts. Safest bet is distilled water with biocides and a coil, but I've always gone pastel.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

6 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Try the ek configurator, just enter your specs and it will show you exactly what you need.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

Its a good site, I just feel that if you're going custom you may aswell get the best of everything, and no one company offers the best products across an entire range imo:

Fittings - Bitspower (Barrow slightly cheaper)

Block - EK/Heat Killer

Reservoirs - Alphacool

Pumps - D5 made by who ever

Fans - Thermaltake Riing RGB (aesthetic),  Noctua Nf-12/ NF-P12 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Stealth80 has already given a great run down of what you'll need, but I'd also like to mention that PPCs offers a wide variety of custom watercooling kits that makes your first custom loop quite a bit easier to plan out. You can find them here

Also feel free to hmu if you need any further assistance with parting out your loop, I'm always happy to help! 

On 5/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, stealth80 said:

Firstly go rigid from the off set. Honestly. If you are even considering it now, then once you have finished your loop you will wish you went rigid, problem is you cant use fittings from soft for rigid so then you need new fittings. I made these mistakes but was lucky enough to be sponsored by Primochill when I switched to rigid. As a side note to this, I have tried EK, Alphacool and Primochill PETG tubing and without a doubt Primochill's was the easiest to work with. So what do you need?

Radiators

Go with 120mm per component in your loop + 120mm - this is the minimum. More rad space = better cooling/lower fan speeds, that doesn't mean go with 8 480mm radiators for a cpu loop xD. Something sensible for a CPU + say a 1080ti and VRMs would be a 360 + 240mm, this is a nice compromise. I have 120 + 240 + 360 for vrms, CPU and a 1080, the 120mm was added purely for aesthetics. People tend to prefer Hardware Lab radiators and I agree with that. (consider material type, aka aluminium/copper/nickel - ill explain at the end)

Pump / Reservoir 

Go with PWM and if you can (again from experience) go with a D5 as they tend to be quieter than DDC. As for brand, it doesn't really matter, go with what you think looks good, I honestly think the light tower from Alphacool is the best looking pump/res combo but I prefer the look of a separate pump and reservoir - so a D5 + pump top to suit your look and then a separate reservoir (remember this will require an extra 2x fittings)

Fans

Go with High Static, Noctua are about the best, Noiseblocker are up there also - Thermaltake have the best looking with their Riing series imo. Remember if you with 140/240/420mm radiators to get 140mm fans.

Blocks 

Ive always gone EK, no real reason why, Heatkiller looks amazing and bitspower are also nice, Thermaltake have also started to release a range of blocks. I guess I go with EK as they tend to have a wider range of available blocks for boards, GPU and CPU's. (consider material type, aka aluminium/copper/nickel - ill explain at the end)

Fittings

People will say go with the same manufacturer for tubing and fittings - sound advice. You can mix and match, just make sure the internal fittings are the same, aka 12/10 tubing will need 12mm fittings, 13/10 will need 13mm fittings - compression is the easiest to work with and of course as i said, rigid and flex use different fittings. As for the amount, its 2 fittings per component +2 and a DRAIN VALVE (don't forget this or you will have problems come maintenance) - More important for rigid, but still useful for flex - 45/90 degree fittings - some bends are just too tight, even for flex so plan your loop and think about how many you will need. If you go rigid tubing you will need a heat gun and a silicone insert for your tubing (same manufacturer as the tubing as they all use ever so slightly difference internal dimensions).

That's about it - as for material type - don't buy aluminium blocks and mix with copper/nickel blocks or vice versa as this leads to bi-metallic corrosion in your loop - stick to the same material type. Lastly do research on the coolant you want to use, different ones react differently, I had issues with Red Pastel in two loops (separate builds) - blue has been solid. Other people have had issues with Vue whilst others haven't - basically plan your loop, identify your components then see if there are any known issues on other forums for that coolant and your parts. Safest bet is distilled water with biocides and a coil, but I've always gone pastel.

Thank you so much this is crazy helpful, I think I'll be ordering components in June to start the build! Thank you for all the help!

3 hours ago, ashonk33 said:

Thank you so much this is crazy helpful, I think I'll be ordering components in June to start the build! Thank you for all the help!

No problem, it’s only a few years since I took my first step and still clearly remember who daunting the sheer amount of options can be, even the fittings boggled my mind at first 

Ryzen Ram Guide