Why do people hype up FreeSync?

M300843499

I feel it is more of an action to con people into buying AMD GPU's, you have got to be kidding me if you think any Vega card is worth buying with how much juice they suck up..

What on Earth is wrong with people like this?

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

Is there a hype around FreeSync? It's just that FreeSync is free and we see it in pretty much any monitor versus the extra $200 or so for GSync. I don't see a con anywhere nor a hype.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

Is there a hype around FreeSync? It's just that FreeSync is free and we see it in pretty much any monitor versus the extra $200 or so for GSync. I don't see a con anywhere nor a hype.

ya freesync is just something that comes with a good monitor usually, I got the cheapest 4k IPS VESA monitor I could find and it had freesync but I wouldn't consider buying an AMD GPU just for that.

1 minute ago, tikker said:

I do, underperforming GPU's which will be a much bigger hassle than giving an extra 200 for G-Sync.

If you had GTX 480 back in the day or a card easily exceeding it's TDP you will understand what i mean.

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

7 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

I feel it is more of an action to con people into buying AMD GPU's, you have got to be kidding me if you think any Vega card is worth buying with how much juice they suck up..

I think a Vega card is worth buying at RRP. Power consumption doesn’t really bother me all that much.

Just now, Morgan Everett said:

I think a Vega card is worth buying at RRP. Power consumption doesn’t really bother me all that much.

I said that, then i nearly went mad in summer time with how hot it got in the room, and the noise was just insane.

2 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

I do, underperforming GPU's which will be a much bigger hassle than giving an extra 200 for G-Sync.

If you had GTX 480 back in the day or a card easily exceeding it's TDP you will understand what i mean.

But where is the con or the hype? It's implemented widely, because it's free. No one is forcing anybody to buy AMD GPUs because of it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

But where is the con or the hype? It's implemented widely, because it's free. No one is forcing anybody to buy AMD GPUs because of it.

Look anywhere and some nuts will throw out the G--Sync vs FreeSync argument without looking at what truly matters.

There are users who have no intentions and do not care about either tech, so some people try to sell something based on 1 credential whilst dismissing all other facts.

Another way to look at this, i shall sell you a T shirt that is better visually than another, but if you buy the less appealing one you get free milk & cookies!

Freesync has nothing to do with Vega cards. Freesync will work even with a RX 460 card.

Freesync is free, as in the monitor manufacturer doesn't have to pay licensing and branding fees to nvidia and doesn't have to buy additional hardware from nVidia (a custom programmed fpga chip) and the manufacturer does not depend on nVidia for its future (nVidia can simply get pissed on some monitor maker and withdraw its license and refuse to sell them those custom chips and the monitor maker can no longer make gsync monitors)

Like with the Physx , GSync does nothing that couldn't have been implemented without a special chip.  Sure, some things could have been harder to implement but not impossible. The chip is just DRM, to lock monitor sellers with nVidia, just like they did with Physix

That custom circuit board monitors have to include to support Gsync costs maybe 20-30$ ... but a Gsync monitor  costs 100-200$ more because of licensing and all that crap. If you like being fucked then by all means, pay the extra money on the monitor instead of adding those extra 1-200$ to the price of a video card.

Not everyone has unlimited budget to buy both high end monitor AND high end video card.

Just now, M300843499 said:

Look anywhere and some nuts will throw out the G--Sync vs FreeSync argument without looking at what truly matters.

There are users who have no intentions and do not care about either tech, so some people try to sell something based on 1 credential whilst dismissing all other facts.

You find that anywhere. Some will say your machine is great for gaming because it has an i7 in it or a great workstation because it has 64GB of RAM. No one is forcing anybody to buy AMD GPUs because of it. You can blame both AMD and Nvidia for having a proprietary adaptive sync technology and not creating a single standard that works with both cards.

48 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

Because its an open Standard that's around for forever in Notebooks and Supported by various Chips from various manufacturers - including Intels Atom. Though its used for different purposes there...

And its also coming to Home Entertainment Systems. The XBox One X already supports that.

So everybody can use "Freesync" wich is just a Marketing Name for VESA Adaptive Sync

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 minutes ago, tikker said:

You can blame both AMD and Nvidia for having a proprietary adaptive sync technology and not creating a single standard that works with both cards.

Your statement is wrong.

There is only one with a proprietary Adaptive Sync Thingy and that is nVidia, ALTHOUGH their Notebook chips use Freesync.

WIch is in the eDP Standard for forever!

"Freesync", not G-Sync. And was an addition to the normal Display Port Standard 1.2 and is optional.

So stick with the truth/facts and that is that AMD does not use a proprietary Sync Technology...

AMD just used a Marketing Name for an official, free, specified one!

Another Thing:
THere is not really a cost for Freesync.

If you have the cheapest of the Cheap Monitors, chances are you can misuse and abuse the Screen and use Freesync with it.

Just hurts my brain that people use illogical ways to sell something to someone just to stroke their own ego and interests, not what the buyer really wants or use deceptive ways.

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because its an open Standard that's around for forever in Notebooks and Supported by various Chips from various manufacturers - including Intels Atom. Though its used for different purposes there...

And its also coming to Home Entertainment Systems. The XBox One X already supports that.

So everybody can use "Freesync" wich is just a Marketing Name for VESA Adaptive Sync

So stop recommending Vega as they suck large donkey nuts.

If you are able to separate the two and not sell them together, we get a more formal and intelligent answer, thank you!

You actually prove my point, FreeSync can be used for anything, but when AMD manufacture bad cards and are allowed to be ok because people follow reviewers like they are gods gift, we get delusional views that follow delusion to mask the reality.

And a lot of it is to save AMD's ass.

1 minute ago, M300843499 said:

If you are able to separate the two and not sell them together, we get a more formal and intelligent answer, thank you!

You actually prove my point, FreeSync can be used for anything, but when AMD manufacture bad cards and are allowed to be ok because people follow reviewers like they are gods gift, we get delusional views that follow delusion to mask the reality.

And a lot of it is to save AMD's ass.

Nobody is recommending Vega though?

Dude, chill out and stop tilting at the windmills

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

6 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

You actually prove my point, FreeSync can be used for anything,

No, it  can be used _BY_ anybody!

And nVidia has proven that their newer Chips (At least Maxwell) are able to support Freesync in Laptops.

And Intel already announced that they will support FREESYNC.

https://techreport.com/news/28865/intel-plans-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync-displays

No they don't? When recommending a GPU, the most important factor is price/performance for the user's price range so as long as the price is competitive to the 1070 and 1080, there's little reason not to recommend Vega. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I personally don't see the appeal on either freesync or gsync specially if you have good hardware... triple buffered v-sync for slow paced games and nvidia's fastsync (if you need) for fast paced games actually turns any gaming experience just as smooth from my personal experience.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Nobody is recommending Vega though?

Dude, chill out and stop tilting at the windmills

If you can't handle heated opinion, don't try to.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

No they don't? When recommending a GPU, the most important factor is price/performance for the user's price range so as long as the price is competitive to the 1070 and 1080, there's little reason not to recommend Vega. 

Oh they do, and there needs to be more aware people on these forums to stop misguiding the buyers.

Not just here but others too, if you want to go into anything you need education and clear sight without bias.

The Problem was that YOU misrepresented what I said.

I never ever was talking about VEGA; I was talking about VESA.

One is around forever and a Standardisation Organisation, that also did the VESA Local BUS, VESA BIOS and other stuff you might or might not remember.

2 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

If you can't act like a civilized human being, do everyone a favor and shut yourself in a cave.

The only thing you are doing is trying to create a flame war.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The Problem was that YOU misrepresented what I said.

I never ever was talking about VEGA; I was talking about VESA.

One is around forever and a Standardisation Organisation, that also did the VESA Local BUS, VESA BIOS and other stuff you might or might not remember.

I'm talking about Vega and AMD and FreeSync, i do not care for Vesa.

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

If you can't act like a civilized human being, do everyone a favor and shut yourself in a cave.

The only thing you are doing is trying to create a flame war.

I have strong opinions, if you cannot handle truth, don't bother.

Sheep always fail to see what someone is talking about and go for the misguided route.