Do I need a VPN for Plex server remote access

CGameDev

I have a plex server that I have movies on, I use my phone, apple tv and console to stream movie in the home. If i am not home like at school or visiting family and i want to remote access my Plex server, do i need to install A VPN on the server? Or can i just stream from my home server without ISP sending warning emails?

plex.png

Instead of having a Plex server just have a VPS running whatever GNU+Linux of your choice and mount the folder containing the movies with sshfs and stream them that way the benefits is your stream is encrypted and not bloated.

You can stream just fine without issue. Just port forward and make sure you have to login to the server (which I think is the only option) and you're good.

Edit:

To address the "warning email" portion, that only happens if you're torrenting.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Technomancer__ said:

There is an option on the settings you can enable remote access

I saw that setting and i set it up and it says i can access the server outside the home.

Just now, Lurick said:

You can stream just fine without issue. Just port forward and make sure you have to login to the server (which I think is the only option) and you're good.

No need for that there is an option in the settings you can enable and can stream fine. If you are from a browser you go to plex website. Login and you can access it from there. apps work the same

Just now, Technomancer__ said:

No need for that there is an option in the settings you can enable and can stream fine. If you are from a browser you go to plex website. Login and you can access it from there. apps work the same

Ah yah, I guess it's only if you want to access it via the web browser directly :)

Edit:

Should have said directly via the remote IP even though you don't need to with the Plex website.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Edit:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Edit:

OK thanks, I was just wondering if my plex server would trigger it.

5 minutes ago, terrydavis said:

Instead of having a Plex server just have a VPS running whatever GNU+Linux of your choice and mount the folder containing the movies with sshfs and stream them that way the benefits is your stream is encrypted and not bloated.

I could but Plex seem to be easier to setup and it plays nice with Infuse for apple TVs

1 minute ago, xiiijamaican said:

OK thanks, I was just wondering if my plex server would trigger it.

Nah, worst that would happen is your ISP could technically call it a "server" and get annoyed at you for that but unless you're hosting to hundreds of people they won't say anything.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Nah, worst that would happen is your ISP could technically call it a "server" and get annoyed at you for that but unless you're hosting to hundreds of people they won't say anything.

ok thank you